Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saw Two Things you don't see every day Today

Old 09-12-2015, 07:59 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Saw Two Things you don't see every day Today

1. Went to a local Porsche club get together and show at Weathertech in Bolingbrook, IL. The guy who owns the place has something like 55 Porsches that he brings out of storage for it....OMG, pretty much everything. Here's a picture from last year, just two of the nice ones. He even has the LMP2 cars from the 24 hours of LeMans.

However, when I got there, there was a yellow 986 boxster that was sitting where I didn't think it should be....then a flat bed moved in place to tow it away. I looked for a puddle of oil under it, but didn't see anything......but come to find out it was pushed over there and where it was pushed was a HUGE amount of speedy dry where a large amount of oil did drop from the car. No nothing more than that, but sounds like what happened to Cuda could of happened to the Boxster, I feel bad for the guy.

2. I went over to MB Motorsports and met Martin, wanted to meet him before he moved away from Chicago. Was awesome to see the engines apart, he is building 8 of them presently. Cool to see the intermediate shaft out of the car and see how small the bearing really is.

He's like most people in life, very nice guy, met his wife and a guy that works for him. All great. Glad I had a chance to go by his place before he left, gives me piece of mind that it won't cost $20K if my engine goes.

That is all.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:06 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

You are probably going to get flamed for saying something nice about Martin.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:28 PM
RGrove
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was there today too....david macneil has a great collection. I especially liked the spyder rs alms car. And the 918 (along with the cgt and 959)
We saw the oil path and sppedy dry. I almost made a crack about if it was an m96, but thought it would be bad karma.
Overall neat event, probably over 600 porsches there....
Old 09-14-2015, 11:59 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
He's like most people in life, very nice guy, met his wife and a guy that works for him. All great. Glad I had a chance to go by his place before he left, gives me piece of mind that it won't cost $20K if my engine goes.

That is all.
Yeah personally I like Martin and I think there is a lot of misunderstanding on the forums about him.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:02 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

993 GT2 > 959
Old 09-14-2015, 01:25 PM
joe-1972
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That was not oil... It was coolant... I almost slipped on it when it was fresh.
David is a very gracious host... Always a good show. What you saw was not his whole collection... He's got tons of cars...

What's going on with Martin?

PS. Her is my daughter pointing out the blue in the center locks on the 918.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:37 PM
RGrove
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joe-1972
That was not oil... It was coolant... I almost slipped on it when it was fresh.
That's good to know; it was so covered in oil dri that I couldn't tell what it was.
Hopefully it got fixed pretty easily and wasn't too bad.

A friend of mine owns a shop that has built some racecars for David; says he is a pretty good guy, a true enthusiast.

Honestly, Im impressed/amazed at the business he has built up. Many years ago he was in a little bldg. around the corner from where I was working in Downers Grove. Now its quite an operation, and apparently very lucrative as well!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Saw Two Things you don't see every day Today