Sponsored by:

918 for sale

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 04:18 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Dude, it's pointless to argue. Everyone is full of resentment against the 918. Some lament the missed chance to buy one at MSRP, others are bitter than the 918 owners gets first dib at limited production cars while they are at the mercy of their dealers.

Basically they all want to see the 918 fall flat on its face so they have have the last laugh.
That's not true - c'mon.

I watched the whole thing unfold P1 La 918 - you should be celebrating as should every Porsche owner and enthusiast.

The 918 showed up and kicked *** - it's a trophy car.

You can't blame guys down the food chain getting kicked to the curb - but that was what Porsche offered after the failed CGT sales.

Everyone wins most of all the 918 owners.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:01 PM
rennlistid
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, it's pointless to argue. Everyone is full of resentment against the 918. Some lament the missed chance to buy one at MSRP, others are bitter than the 918 owners gets first dib at limited production cars while they are at the mercy of their dealers.

Basically they all want to see the 918 fall flat on its face so they have have the last laugh.
The 918 owners who got the car and got the perks that came with ordering it are lucky people and have a great car, one of the best cars currently on the market, in their garages. No one is arguing that. You are very lucky to own one, and you should absolutely celebrate that.

But flippers, and the people who bought the 918 to sell it after 6 months and still retain the perks of the VIP program are trying to sell their cars at huge amounts of money over MSRP. That's the part that we're talking about. Those values are blown out of proportion.

The 918 is an incredible car if you ordered and paid MSRP for it and enjoy the VIP program. BUT... and this is the point being made here, if you are in the market for a used 918, the prices being asked are just inflated, and will tank in a few years to or below MSRP given the reasons I outlined earlier in my posts.

If you are a current owner of the 918, the values shouldn't be a concern, whether they tank or rise, if you bought the car to enjoy it.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:22 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by rennlistid
The 918 owners who got the car and got the perks that came with ordering it are lucky people and have a great car, one of the best cars currently on the market, in their garages. No one is arguing that. You are very lucky to own one, and you should absolutely celebrate that.

But flippers, and the people who bought the 918 to sell it after 6 months and still retain the perks of the VIP program are trying to sell their cars at huge amounts of money over MSRP. That's the part that we're talking about. Those values are blown out of proportion.

The 918 is an incredible car if you ordered and paid MSRP for it and enjoy the VIP program. BUT... and this is the point being made here, if you are in the market for a used 918, the prices being asked are just inflated, and will tank in a few years to or below MSRP given the reasons I outlined earlier in my posts.

If you are a current owner of the 918, the values shouldn't be a concern, whether they tank or rise, if you bought the car to enjoy it.
Unfortunately, the reasons you listed previously on why the 918's value should tank doesn't really hold.

The 959 is the perfect example to counter all of your arguments. Dino is another example. Pagani Zonda is another....
Old 08-25-2015, 12:37 AM
tims16m
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 42 Posts

reenlistid did you register to the forum just to rag on the 918? I think you should be happy you don't own a 918 and call it a day! Simple fact is all cars build on the technology that preceded them. The real issue you maybe missing is the law of supply and demand. There will never be anymore 918s produced and contrary to Fcar, a limited number is actually a real number for Porsche. We know your opinion about the 918 and it infuriates you that it is selling at a premium. Fortunately, you didn't purchase a 918, I guess it will be one most forgotten cars Porsche ever made. I like that 918 silhouette, iconic. Maybe that will fade away into obscurity too.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:03 AM
rennlistid
6th Gear

I'm sorry if that came off as me trolling or registering to rile 918 people up. Apologies. I take back everything I said. Have a nice day.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:06 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
That's not true - c'mon.

I watched the whole thing unfold P1 La 918 - you should be celebrating as should every Porsche owner and enthusiast.

The 918 showed up and kicked *** - it's a trophy car.

You can't blame guys down the food chain getting kicked to the curb - but that was what Porsche offered after the failed CGT sales.

Everyone wins most of all the 918 owners.
Publicly, yes, the 918 is the trophy car. It talks the talk and walks the walk.

As for market value, CGT tanked at first all because Porsche dumped 2 years worth of supply in 1 year to avoid the new airbag law, so it was over supplied so the price has to drop in order to move so many cars. Porsche didn't over supply the 918 this time around.

But anyway right now there is a behind the scene fight within Porsche, between the dealers, PCA and 918 owners. You can guess what's it about.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:08 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

But anyway right now there is a behind the scene fight within Porsche, between the dealers, PCA and 918 owners. You can guess what's it about.
Allocs?
Old 08-25-2015, 07:41 PM
rennlistid
6th Gear

This is a bit off topic, but it's relevant in the sense that it shows where Ferrari is heading and the potential impact this will have on its current/previous production cars: http://www.businessinsider.com/ahead...ds-cars-2015-8
Old 08-25-2015, 10:27 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Allocs?
I guess - who cares can't think of a better problem it's common with sought after cars across the board.

rennlistid - Ferrari will make more La La's etc. just look at who was in charge vs today - they will milk the machine for all it's worth.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:49 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Allocs?
It's more about a certain group's feeling of entitlement.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:54 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rennlistid

"They call him Flipper, Flipper Faster than lightning" remember the TV show Flipper about the Dolphin?

Seems like the 918 is leveling out at $1.5MM with less than 1000 miles. Most with just like 8 miles and such.

Their is a Weissach (SP?) edition in Acid Green going for near $3MM. The ad claims that it is one of only two Weissach models in this color in the world and that this one is the only one in the USA! Is their any way of confirming this? I would imagine their would be more than two of this color in this model. By the way this one of course only has 8 miles. So it's being sold by a flipper. I would rather buy one at this moment with some miles on it just to avoid flipping. Some folk's care, some don't! At the end of the day it makes it more difficult for the true enthusiast to enjoy the car's they ultimately want. It's not like this is the year 2020. Further the true Enthusiast would hopefully purchased the car from the dealership New. And there was a moment when some said Porsche was having difficulty selling all of the 918 allocation's. Well it looks like Porsche really knocked this one out of the park. 0 to 60 in 2.2 seconds - really says something about power can't overcome weight all the time a lá Veyron. Hope their Chairon does better and Bugatti really has to rethink the issue of mass. At 1500BHP Vmax is supposedly 288MPH. That's if they can keep it on that round track!
Old 08-27-2015, 12:35 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

It's always nice to see a veteran racing driver back up the corporate lingo with his own money....
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 918 for sale