Sponsored by:

918 for sale

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 12:14 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 1,000 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by marcvv
my point is that the supply/demand and price were set for a very long time at MSRP. Prices don't miraculously jump 50% in just a few months simply because the owners want and hope that they do. There is no reason for such a price jump when the market price barely hit the bid to sell out the 918.

A CGT for $600k? Maybe you should look at what the CGT originally sold for and where it went before it hit today's market price. If you don't remember let me refresh. A couple years after its release it dipped to around 300k. MSRP was 450k.

Will the 918 be worth 1.5M in 10 years? Maybe. But I wouldn't consider that investment grade. Even a 7% return on investment would be 2M in 10 years.

I have no problem with sellers reaching for the sky. It only takes one buyer with more money than brains to take the car off their hands and I'm sure a few of those exist here or there so why not fish for them.

I know a new 918 for sale in my area (just saw in the flesh yesterday). It's black on black. Not a Weissach. Titled with 11 miles. $1.6M. Any buyers out there?
First of all, there aren't any 600K CGT that has low mileage or without a need for clutch replacement in the US today.

Second, need I remind you that after a couple of years after its release, we had something called a market crash in 2008. You could have picked up a low mileage Ford GT for 150K back then or a CGT for 280-300K, so what?

Third, the market for 918 today is around 1.6 million for the right car. Couple of requirements: Weissach package, PTS color, and loads of CXX options. The standard 918 with standard colors (eg. black, silver, basic white) will not warrant that price.

You could have bought a 997.2 GT3RS 4.0 at sticker when it first came out a years ago (I had a few dealers offering me new car at sticker)....need I go on?
Old 07-28-2015, 12:29 PM
marcvv
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
First of all, there aren't any 600K CGT that has low mileage or without a need for clutch replacement in the US today.

Second, need I remind you that after a couple of years after its release, we had something called a market crash in 2008. You could have picked up a low mileage Ford GT for 150K back then or a CGT for 280-300K, so what?

Third, the market for 918 today is around 1.6 million for the right car. Couple of requirements: Weissach package, PTS color, and loads of CXX options. The standard 918 with standard colors (eg. black, silver, basic white) will not warrant that price.

You could have bought a 997.2 GT3RS 4.0 at sticker when it first came out a years ago (I had a few dealers offering me new car at sticker)....need I go on?
You just reinforced my post from just above here. When the market crashes again (and we all know it will, just don't know the when or why) we will see much lower prices. The same dynamics will be at play. Less money. People deleveraging. Lower sentiment. The cycles always come and go and we are at, or near a peak right now as indicated by the amazing auction prices we have seen for so many cars right now.

I won't get into predicting the next market turndown or crash but we have quite a bit of black swan elements lurking out there now (china markets just crashed 30%, Fed getting ready to hike rates, Puerto Rico defaulting, few other high debt sovereign's could be the next Greece but much bigger, etc). Looking back at the car market downturn in 2008 I wouldn't be a buyer today of a 918 or LaFerrari at these prices but that's what makes a market. Like I said I am very patient and if I have to wait a year or several for sentiment to change and the inevitable market downturn that's ok. If somebody is a seller and can get a strong price today they might think about taking advantage of that.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:31 PM
Larryf
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No doubt the market is overheated across the board although some of it might be warranted for certain cars based on where technology is taking us with twin turbos on smaller engines and lack of gated options. I remember Mecum putting out the nicest St Charles catalog right before the muscle car market popped. Super glossy, super packed full of all those icons from the 60's and 70's. It was muscle car heaven!! But it was also the top of the market so I'm always keeping my eyes peeled. The latest auction that has caught my eye regarding this I believe is the RM 65m super auction where the guy is dumping every overheated super car known to man: F1, Bugatti SS, Enzo, etc. That might be our canary in the coal mine..........
Old 07-29-2015, 01:37 AM
tims16m
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 44 Posts

Its the Have vs the Have-not. So If you have a 918, you want the value to be 1.3-1.6M. If you don't have a 918 and looking to acquire one then of course you want to see the value at 600K. The 918 has proven its value compared to the other two hypercars by beating or equaling them on the track. So if you had the nerve to put a deposit down on a 918 in the early days, you deserve whatever premium is in the market. If you didn't put any money down, no use crying over spilled milk, that train has left the station.

When the market for the Ford GT drops 40%, now we are talking about real value. I think there is more of a chance the Ford GT see a 40% drop than somebody actually buying the car aftermarket for 150% of MSRP or anything close to that. Only time will tell.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:51 AM
unotaz
Drifting

You just reinforced my post from just above here. When the market crashes again (and we all know it will, just don't know the when or why) we will see much lower prices. The same dynamics will be at play. Less money. People deleveraging. Lower sentiment. The cycles always come and go and we are at, or near a peak right now as indicated by the amazing auction prices we have seen for so many cars right now.

I won't get into predicting the next market turndown or crash but we have quite a bit of black swan elements lurking out there now (china markets just crashed 30%, Fed getting ready to hike rates, Puerto Rico defaulting, few other high debt sovereign's could be the next Greece but much bigger, etc). Looking back at the car market downturn in 2008 I wouldn't be a buyer today of a 918 or LaFerrari at these prices but that's what makes a market. Like I said I am very patient and if I have to wait a year or several for sentiment to change and the inevitable market downturn that's ok. If somebody is a seller and can get a strong price today they might think about taking advantage of that.
Let's put this in another way you can comprehend. If, for whatever reason, the market for the 918 comes all the way down from 1.6 million to 600K, you are screwed as well. This means the market has crashed. This means the economy as we know it, has ceased to function.

Whatever business you are in, you will be affected. If you have a mortgage on a house or leveraged on other assets, you are hurting too.

For the sake of everyone on this forum, let's hope the price of the 918 does not go down to 600K because we will be all screwed across the board
Old 07-29-2015, 10:51 AM
marcvv
Advanced

Originally Posted by tims16m
Its the Have vs the Have-not. So If you have a 918, you want the value to be 1.3-1.6M. If you don't have a 918 and looking to acquire one then of course you want to see the value at 600K. The 918 has proven its value compared to the other two hypercars by beating or equaling them on the track. So if you had the nerve to put a deposit down on a 918 in the early days, you deserve whatever premium is in the market. If you didn't put any money down, no use crying over spilled milk, that train has left the station.

When the market for the Ford GT drops 40%, now we are talking about real value. I think there is more of a chance the Ford GT see a 40% drop than somebody actually buying the car aftermarket for 150% of MSRP or anything close to that. Only time will tell.
Of course as a buyer I would prefer to see a much lower price although there is one case where I wouldn't and that would be if I believed the price of the car would push even higher. With the 918 I don't think this is going to be the case. I think prices are going to soften as I said. I'll stick to that. I could be wrong but only over time will any of us know where the market moves. If I actually thought the car would appreciate from here I would buy one and ride it up.

I did pass on ordering one and if sellers are actually getting a few hundred over MSRP (as opposed to just asking for it) then sure I regret not purchasing one. I would have flipped the car in a heartbeat if somebody was willing to actually write me a good check for even a 100k over MSRP and sales tax paid.

Pretty sure the Ford GT is going to be a superior investment over the 918. Unlike the 918, which anyone could step up and order one at will for almost a year, you can't even get a dealer to take a deposit on the car from you unless you know somebody. Then, if you do, you will be paying anywhere from 75k to 2x OVER MSRP (yup some dealers are taking deposits for 100% over MSRP and people are writing checks). Even than you might not get the car as less than 1 in 3 dealers will get a single car.

Historically the GT has appreciated handsomely and the new Ford GT looks spectacular and has received rave reviews across the board. I am fairly certain that its track performance will match its great looks and it may even give the 918 a run for its money on the track. Supposedly the highest HP to weight ratio of any production vehicle. Watch out 918.....
Old 07-29-2015, 01:49 PM
unotaz
Drifting

I did pass on ordering one and if sellers are actually getting a few hundred over MSRP (as opposed to just asking for it) then sure I regret not purchasing one. I would have flipped the car in a heartbeat if somebody was willing to actually write me a good check for even a 100k over MSRP and sales tax paid.

Pretty sure the Ford GT is going to be a superior investment over the 918. Unlike the 918, which anyone could step up and order one at will for almost a year, you can't even get a dealer to take a deposit on the car from you unless you know somebody. Then, if you do, you will be paying anywhere from 75k to 2x OVER MSRP (yup some dealers are taking deposits for 100% over MSRP and people are writing checks). Even than you might not get the car as less than 1 in 3 dealers will get a single car.

Historically the GT has appreciated handsomely and the new Ford GT looks spectacular and has received rave reviews across the board. I am fairly certain that its track performance will match its great looks and it may even give the 918 a run for its money on the track. Supposedly the highest HP to weight ratio of any production vehicle. Watch out 918.....
You just made me realize that you don't really know anything about the collector's car market. New Ford GT selling for double the its MSRP? :roll eyes:

You would have "flipped the car in a heartbeat if somebody was willing to actually write me a good check for even a 100k over MSRP and sales tax paid"?
Old 07-29-2015, 08:44 PM
heynow
Advanced

yeah, no one has actually driven it, so gonna take that one with a grain of salt. Also, twin turbo eco boost v6??? I don't think porsche / ferrari / mclaren are quaking in their boots. It is going to be a great car, but the ford is going to compete with the nsx, not the 918.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:19 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 528 Posts

600k 918, hmm. Keep dreaming.

You have a better chance of buying a CGT at 600k than a 918.

CGT set the floor for the pricing on 918, so if a 918 dropped to 600k, a CGT would be around 250-300k. Not gonna happened.

Yes there are quite a few speculators/over leverage people buying the 918, and also quite a few 918 buyers who are kicking themselves for not buying a second one. Before you even have a sniff at a 918 at 600k, just about any car that's under MSRP will be snapped up by another 918 owner.

If you happened to come across a 918 at 600k, I guaranteed you won't get it at 600k, heck, I will pay 700k a piece to get 3 more to put one in each of my houses. There, I just set a floor for the pricing of the 918 at 100k over your budget, I am sure someone else here will do the same number if not more.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:48 PM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy

If you happened to come across a 918 at 600k, I guaranteed you won't get it at 600k, heck, I will pay 700k a piece to get 3 more to put one in each of my houses. There, I just set a floor for the pricing of the 918 at 100k over your budget, I am sure someone else here will do the same number if not more.
Sorry to do this to you Whoopsy but I will pay 800k a piece to get 2. No hard feelings but I just raised the floor.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:53 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by CGT000
Sorry to do this to you Whoopsy but I will pay 800k a piece to get 2. No hard feelings but I just raised the floor.

YOU!!!!!!!

Hahahaha
Old 08-20-2015, 04:47 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,381 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by CGT000
801 ?
Old 08-20-2015, 02:56 PM
908/3fan
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Why people selling their 918s so fast? I saw 4 advertisements here in Europe.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:19 PM
NYC123
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 908/3fan
probably just based on price...
Old 08-20-2015, 05:30 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by 908/3fan
They are too slow

Quick Reply: 918 for sale