Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery charging / tender / charger on CGT, HELP !

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 06:49 PM
Axis007
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery charging / tender / charger on CGT, HELP !

I have been charging / tending my battery through the cigarette lighter / 12 v in the glove box. Now that 12v plug is broken, is there a way to by pass it? Can i charge the battery with out connecting directly to the battery, ( because it would require me to remove the passenger rear tire and multiple panels ) can i wire a battery tender plug or clip on to the jumper ( + ) ??? Any input would be appreciated.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:53 PM
Axis007
Intermediate

Is it safe to charge the battery through the jumping points ?
Old 01-18-2015, 08:01 PM
smokeygt
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Axis007
My car had the charger connected to the + and - points in the engine compartment. To hook up the charger, I open the hatch and run the charger wire through the right rear wheel to inside the engine bay. Real easy. It's been working fine so far. To me, it's better than going through lighter cause it's closer to the battery, but it shouldn't matter because the battery doesn't know from where the electricity is coming and it's such a low current anyway. If I get the gumption, I'll take a pic and post it here.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:42 PM
smokeygt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Axis007
I found the gumption, here are the pics. The yellow thing is the charger connection. The negative connects to an empty stud in the negative "box" the positive connects to the stud closest to the wheel. ( I removed the positive cover in pic)
Attached Images   
Old 02-07-2016, 09:30 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Okay, when I am next near my CGT, I will photograph the system that the AMAG dealer in Switzerland installed. It looks very similar to smokeygt's but it is neater as the cord goes under the rear engine cover. Most importantly, and the reason taht smokeygt's and my system is much, much better is that it SNAPS into place! The glove compartment charger is notorious for becoming unplugged, you lose your battery and every CGT owner knows just how expensive that can be!
Old 02-08-2016, 12:38 AM
smokeygt
Instructor

I could run my cord under the engine cover too, but I like it to run through the wheel as then the power cord isn't going to be able to do any damage to the body panels.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:07 PM
jimmyriviera
Rennlist Member

Stephen - if you could take a picture that would be great. MY GT sits unattended for extended periods of time and already been down the new battery route after the cigarette charger dropped out.

Thanks for pics as well smokey.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:09 PM
smokeygt
Instructor

Smile

no problem lousy pics though hope they helped
Old 02-20-2016, 04:09 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Okay, hopefully will be able to be back and post some photos next week (or certainly by the wee after). Sorry for the delay...
Old 02-05-2017, 04:11 PM
achilles99
Instructor

Sooooo, my cigarette plug from the trickle charger must have fallen out because my battery is dead. Can't get the charger to start now, so I probably have a bad battery (just replaced the battery less than 400 miles ago). Is it safe to jump from dead? Anyone have a trick to get the battery charged again?

Stephen, if you still have those pics, could you post? I may try a hardwired solution this time...
Old 02-15-2017, 05:48 AM
garageman
2nd Gear

Is it completely dead? what about the console indicators?
Old 02-15-2017, 05:52 AM
garageman
2nd Gear

I once used home inverter power backup system to charge car batteries through DIY method.
Jumb starting is an easy job if residue charge is present in battery.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:49 PM
Mr. HR
5th Gear

Hi I’m new here sorry if it sounds repetitive but i can’t find any what I’m asking .

or how to do it with pictures wouldn’t like to screw thing up.

is there anyway you can send a big photo with the plugs and how did you connected them please I want to connect the CTEK comfort plug in and leave it in the rear compartment but I’m scared where to secure it.

can some one make some recommendations but send some photos of how it should be done please .

thanks

Originally Posted by smokeygt
I found the gumption, here are the pics. The yellow thing is the charger connection. The negative connects to an empty stud in the negative "box" the positive connects to the stud closest to the wheel. ( I removed the positive cover in pic)
Old 04-29-2019, 12:33 AM
smokeygt
Instructor

I'll try to take some better pictures tomorrow. Don't fret, it's a simple arrangement once you see it clearly.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:55 AM
Mr. HR
5th Gear

Thanks

Quick Reply: Battery charging / tender / charger on CGT, HELP !