Sponsored by:

Carrera GT Clutch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 05:43 PM
Randy K
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrera GT Clutch Replacement

Attached are some pics of the original clutch that was removed from the car.
Chunks of the clutch pad are missing even though the minimum wear thickness of the clutch was not met. This was the original clutch as evidenced by the markings on the clutch. Has anyone else experienced this type of clutch deterioration. I was of the opinion the clutch plates would just wear down in a uniform manner.

Clutch Plate CGT

Clutch Plate CGT

Clutch Plate CGT

Least worn Clutch Plate CGT

Clutch CGT

Clutch CGT
Old 12-16-2014, 10:20 PM
bojali
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

yes, this happens/happened when the clutch is slipped (considerably/constantly/enter your word here) and fried! 1st owner of mine did this back in 2005 when the car was new and the price was $30k+ for the unit.
Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2014, 10:26 PM
bojali
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

check your inter plates for over heating/toasting!
Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2014, 09:12 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Randy - are you the original owner?

What did the mechanic say.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:24 PM
Randy K
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bojali:
The two carbon discs (like the one you pictured) are not glazed and exhibit very minimal wear.

Nuvolari612:
I am not the original owner of the car. I purchased the car five years ago with 20K on the car. The car was the daily driver of the previous owner.

Since purchasing the car I have put 10K miles on the car over the past five years.

So I guess you could say getting 30K miles out of the clutch is not terrible use.

My use of the car has typically been street driving at a rather modest pace with the occasional autocross event at PCA National Parade events.

I noticed an occasional slipping when the RPM would exceed 4000 (actually
getting into the real power band). Driven in the 2-4000 no slippage was noticed. I was of the opinion that some fluid may be getting on the clutch plates to cause the slippage because the slippage would be intermittent.

We took the car apart to do the 30K service which required attention to the valve adjustment which requires the engine to be pulled, therefore I determined this would be a good time to replace everything that needed replacing.

What we found was the seal on the hydraulic clutch was leaking (and it looked like it had been seeping for some time based on the hardened residue in the transmission housing. We believe it is quite probable that the chips of clutch material could have damaged the hydraulic seal on the throw out bearing actuator by getting in the path of the throw out bearings movement. Actually it is kind of a chicken and the egg situation so we cannot be sure if the hydraulic leak caused deterioration of the clutch or the clutch deterioration and chunks breaking off caused the damaged seal on the the hydraulic throw out bearing actuator.

Since the car is totally dismantled we have found a few other issues which we will be addressing on the car:

Slight seeping of fluid from the two power steering lines which are up against the firewall and would be virtually impossible to replace with the engine in place. These are being replaced.

The engine mount had rubber that was cracked in several places. An ideal time to replace this item.

A rear shock that was seeping a slight amount of fluid that was not visible from above.

Needless to say the clutch and throw out bearing assembly are being replaced.

Randy
Old 12-17-2014, 03:09 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Randy that's great news.

Shows that a properly exercised CGT will perform as Porsche intended.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:30 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by CGT39
My CGT has 3500 miles and the clutch is as new. A ceramic clutch must be used very differently from standard. feathering it will kill it ASAP.

When used properly you will get many miles out of if.
Yup. Through 3 CGT's, I've yet to use a single mm.

Quick Reply: Carrera GT Clutch Replacement