Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIDEO: 918 vs P1 track test

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 03:06 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

I'm struck by the difference between them.

Against the clock I think we now know there is essentially nothing in it, particularly on equal rubber. Not only are the Cup 2s slower as mentioned (as they should be for 180 TWR vs 60) but in the 918's application they are reportedly tuned for lower rolling resistance to help achieve 3.0 liters per 100 km fuel economy.

That's nearly 3 times better economy than the McLaren, the first striking difference for such "similar" cars. The second is the way they make speed- the McLaren through hot, sticky race rubber, downforce achieved at non-street legal ride heights, and huge peak speeds at the end of of the straights. The Porsche, meanwhile, leans less on high speed grip or top end pull and more on reflexes, balance, and the 4wd system's ability to deploy every last horse early off the corners.

Both paths to pace look like a blast on the track, the only place you can truly use monsters like this. However I'm reminded that these are supposed to be street cars. And if they're this close on the track, the gap on the street must be massive. Even assuming you run the McLaren illegally low, exactly how many places on the street can you sight far enough through a corner to carry the speed required to use all that downforce? How many places can you get heat into those tread-free tires and lean into their grip without fear of a slick bit of pavement? Keep the throttle buried until the very end of the straight?

The McLaren makes speed in ways that are only really usable on a dry track or on a straight highway. The Porsche, on the other hand, makes speed in ways that are usable everywhere- in the damp, the wet, around blind corners, over bumps, at a stoplight. The gap between them is staggering when you think about it that way. Real world you can't tap either car's full potential, but you can tap an order of magnitude more of the Porsche's. No wonder the McLaren tends to be seen at the track more often- that's really the only place you can exploit it.

The 918's achievement is only now becoming clear I think, and its shear breadth of ability is staggering. It runs with the track-only weapons on one side, has perhaps more usable real word performance than anything on the street, and all the while gets 50% better fuel economy than a Prius. I'm sure the P1 is a ton of fun, and that is the point in the end, but it's a one trick pony in comparison, not in the same league. If the term "Hypercar" was coined to mark the new generation's massive performance, perhaps we'll need a new term to describe this all-round ability when another car comes along that's in the same league. For now it's a league of one: '918'.

Last edited by Petevb; 11-21-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:39 PM
stefan einz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xybyx
Trefeo R is much grippier than Cup 2, generally 1-2 seconds faster on a 1-min circuit.
Thanks for the correction. I had assumed (wrongly) that the Cup 2 and Trofeo were Michelin's and Pirelli's equivalent track tyres.

Also thanks to Whoopsy for the clarification re the P1's modus operandi for the electric motor - i.e. will not deplete the batteries by harvesting energy from the engine. As you say, that is akin to the 918's Race mode.

As a CGT owner I was initially very sceptical about the 918, but as I understood more about the 918, its design philoshopy and the sheer quality of the execution, I have been completely turned around - to the point, as mentioned in another thread, of ordering one.

I first drove a prototype in Seville last October 2013, then drove a finished car at Silvertone in July of this year. The Silverstone drive was the clincher. The depth of engineering and build quality are out of this world good (as they were with the CGT - in fact, the interior quality is a notch above the CGT). And the driving experience was far more engaging than I had expected; as said above the PDK box is sensational and the combination of huge torque and screaming race engine addictive.

And that's the thing that Jethro does not mention in his video - the massive torque advantage of the 918 over the P1, coupled with better traction from the AWD system. That surely is why, despite the weight disadvantage, it competes so closely with the P1 on laps times.

I have only briefly driven a friend's P1 - and first impressions were really good - lovely, weighty steering, low scuttle for a good view, and super responsive throttle (much more so than my 12C which is pretty laggy).

But I tend to agree that the 918 is going to be the better all-rounder - and in particular better for those long trips across Europe that I love taking.

I am eagerly looking forward now to my visit to Stuttgart to spec. the car, which takes place next month.

Cheers
Old 11-17-2014, 03:41 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb

Against the clock I think we now know there is essentially nothing in it, particularly on equal rubber. Not only are the Cup 2s slower as mentioned (as they should be for 180 TWR vs 60) but in the 918's application they are reportedly tuned for lower rolling resistance to help achieve 3.0 liters per 100 km fuel economy.

That's nearly 3 times better than the McLaren, the first striking difference for such "similar" cars. The second is the way they make speed- the McLaren through hot, sticky race rubber, downforce achieved at non-street legal ride heights, and huge peak speeds at the end of of the straights. The Porsche, meanwhile, leans less on high speed grip or top end pull and more on reflexes, balance, and the 4wd system's ability to deploy every last horse early off the corners.

Both paths to pace look like a blast on the track, the only place you can truly use monsters like this. However I'm reminded that these are supposed to be street cars. And if they're this close on the track, the gap on the street must be massive. Even assuming you run the McLaren illegally low, exactly how many places on the street can you sight through a corner to carry enough speed to use all that downforce? How many places can you get heat into those tread-free tires, and lean into their grip without fear of a slick bit of pavement? Keep the throttle buried until the very end of the straight?

The McLaren makes speed in ways that are really only usable on a dry track. The Porsche, on the other hand, makes speed in ways that are usable everywhere- in the damp, the wet, around blind corners, over bumps, at a stoplight. The gap between them is staggering when you think about it that way. Real world you can't tap either car's full potential, but you can tap an order of magnitude more of the Porsche's. No wonder the McLaren tends to be seen at the track more often- that's really the only place you can exploit it.

The 918's achievement is only now becoming clear I think, and its shear breadth of ability is staggering. It runs with the track-only weapons on one side, has perhaps more usable real word performance than anything on the street, and all the while gets 50% better fuel economy than a Prius. The P1 looks like a ton of fun, but it's a one trick pony in comparison, not in the same league. If the term "Hypercar" was coined to mark the new generation's massive performance, perhaps we'll need a new term to describe this all-round ability when another car comes along that's in the same league. For now it's a league of one: '918'.
Well said.

Plus, you get to drive around with the roof off in the 918 -- tracking al fresco! -- and still beat the pants off Britain's finest.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:07 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 918 can only win a contest that it is invited to. In a back to back, car vs car comparison the 918 comes out on top. A week or so later, McLaren shows up with " ringer" to post a time when there is no 918 around to compete against. McLaren has still not posted a "ring" time. I wonder why.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:39 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Originally Posted by Zucc
The 918 can only win a contest that it is invited to. In a back to back, car vs car comparison the 918 comes out on top. A week or so later, McLaren shows up with " ringer" to post a time when there is no 918 around to compete against. McLaren has still not posted a "ring" time. I wonder why.
It's almost as if Ferrari and McLaren deserve each other ...
Old 11-18-2014, 10:27 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb

That's nearly 3 times better than the McLaren, the first striking difference for such "similar" cars. The second is the way they make speed- the McLaren through hot, sticky race rubber, downforce achieved at non-street legal ride heights, and huge peak speeds at the end of of the straights. The Porsche, meanwhile, leans less on high speed grip or top end pull and more on reflexes, balance, and the 4wd system's ability to deploy every last horse early off the corners.

Both paths to pace look like a blast on the track, the only place you can truly use monsters like this. However I'm reminded that these are supposed to be street cars. And if they're this close on the track, the gap on the street must be massive. Even assuming you run the McLaren illegally low, exactly how many places on the street can you sight through a corner to carry enough speed to use all that downforce? How many places can you get heat into those tread-free tires, and lean into their grip without fear of a slick bit of pavement? Keep the throttle buried until the very end of the straight?

The McLaren makes speed in ways that are really only usable on a dry track or on a straight highway. The Porsche, on the other hand, makes speed in ways that are usable everywhere- in the damp, the wet, around blind corners, over bumps, at a stoplight. The gap between them is staggering when you think about it that way. Real world you can't tap either car's full potential, but you can tap an order of magnitude more of the Porsche's. No wonder the McLaren tends to be seen at the track more often- that's really the only place you can exploit it.

The 918's achievement is only now becoming clear I think, and its shear breadth of ability is staggering. It runs with the track-only weapons on one side, has perhaps more usable real word performance than anything on the street, and all the while gets 50% better fuel economy than a Prius. The P1 looks like a ton of fun, but it's a one trick pony in comparison, not in the same league. If the term "Hypercar" was coined to mark the new generation's massive performance, perhaps we'll need a new term to describe this all-round ability when another car comes along that's in the same league. For now it's a league of one: '918'.
Very well written! +918
Old 11-24-2014, 08:58 AM
Apolo1
Pro

Received 298 Likes on 127 Posts

The fact that the 918" convertible" is able to take on the P1.... let alone beat it, just goes to show what a massive fail the P1 is.....,
Old 11-24-2014, 01:50 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Petevb -- you have summed the differences up so well!!!!!!!

The 918 will be simply unbeatable on the road--there is just no question of it. So in Europe (where you can actually let your car loose for a while), it will monster anything. Watch a cocky M5 driver's face--just after he has come right up your trumpet (as they are oft to do) during a regulated section of the autobahn--drop in disbelief as he can barely discern your car's presence when you get to a unrestricted section.

And then, as pointed out by ipse dixit above, it is essentially two cars in one with the removable top (I've heard now that Ferrari may be coming out with a convertible LaFerrari like they did with the 458 Speciale which sold out instantly). Its all in one with the 918.

And thus you can pay 50% more for the P1 (a very souped-up MP4-12C, which outside of its natural habitat--a very smooth track with bone dry warm weather--is clearly stomped on by the 918) or a 100% more for LaFerrari (a very souped-up 458, which outside of its natural habitat--the Ferrari PR machine--is a car that can't even run on electricity and has the bucket seats bolted to the floor). Indeed, the only other car which seems to be cut of a new cloth is the proposed new Lambo (with truly innovative styling, if you ask me).

On top of all this, the 918 looks the best here (although I still think the CGT is more mysterious and unusual in this regard), sounds the best here (although again, the CGT has the edge here too) and is the most economical and environmentally friendly. Where the 918 shines versus the CGT is its versatility and ease of use -- something it also holds over the P1 -- which has both its pluses and minuses. But for the same price as the P1, you can have the 918 and the CGT... And these both come with official lap times for the Ring!!!!

The LaFerrari will unfortunately become what most such rare Ferraris typically become -- expensive artwork in the garage (Nick Mason had 600km on his Enzo, for example) -- because of the depreciation -- providing much needed relief to the Ferrari marketing department (which you just cannot do in Formula 1!). However, because of its ease of use, I cannot see a 918 just sitting in a garage (unless someone bought two of them); this is also one area where the 918 clearly wins over the CGT which has been unfortunately stored away in too many garages because you do have to learn how to drive it (and continue to do so for its lifetime). The 918 screams to be used... Now and whenever...

Lastly, on top of all that, you have Porsche reliability and service (which has been fantastic for me on my CGT) which wins all product quality surveys and is legendary in itself. Ask a Ferrari person what they most admire about a Porsche and he will undoubtedly say "how well it is built".

So as Petevb said well, welcome to a new class of supercar: the 918. Or, as Richard Hammond put it, Porsche built a supercar for the future. It has not been an easy climb for it, but like with most things Porsche does, the "proof is in the pudding" (or, should I say, "in the driving") and it wins you over...

PS. I forgot to mention that the 918 does come with some extra bragging rights: if some snotty nosed tree hugger comes at you at a petrol station and makes a snide remark about your callousness to the environment and world resources, you look very concerned and then ask them what they are driving. As you look over in horror at what ever crap vehicle they do happen to be driving, you then get very concerned as you realise that they are being highly irresponsible and not taking the environment seriously! You then, of course, explain in a very normal Liberal condescending manner that your car pollutes less than a Toyota Prius (one other area where the 918 has "little" edge over the Fire Breathing Dragon, btw) and even has has a special carbon gas filter to avoid any nasty polluting vapours to go into the atmosphere. Then continue to stare at them in very concerned and overly serious manner...

Congratulations Porsche!

Cheers,

Steve
Old 11-24-2014, 01:55 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Petevb -- you have summed the differences up so well!!!!!!!

The 918 will be simply unbeatable on the road--there is just no question of it. So in Europe (where you can actually let your car loose for a while), it will monster anything. Watch a cocky M5 driver's face--just after he has come right up your trumpet (as they are oft to do) during a regulated section of the autobahn--drop in disbelief as he can barely discern your car's presence when you get to a unrestricted section.

And then, as pointed out by ipse dixit above, it is essentially two cars in one with the removable top (I've heard now that Ferrari may be coming out with a convertible LaFerrari like they did with the 458 Speciale which sold out instantly). Its all in one with the 918.

And thus you can pay 50% more for the P1 (a very souped-up MP4-12C, which outside of its natural habitat--a very smooth track with bone dry warm weather--is clearly stomped on by the 918) or a 100% more for LaFerrari (a very souped-up 458, which outside of its natural habitat--the Ferrari PR machine--is a car that can't even run on electricity and has the bucket seats bolted to the floor). Indeed, the only other car which seems to be cut of a new cloth is the proposed new Lambo (with truly innovative styling, if you ask me).

On top of all this, the 918 looks the best here (although I still think the CGT is more mysterious and unusual in this regard), sounds the best here (although again, the CGT has the edge here too) and is the most economical and environmentally friendly. Where the 918 shines versus the CGT is its versatility and ease of use -- something it also holds over the P1 -- which has both its pluses and minuses. But for the same price as the P1, you can have the 918 and the CGT... And these both come with official lap times for the Ring!!!!

The LaFerrari will unfortunately become what most such rare Ferraris typically become -- expensive artwork in the garage (Nick Mason had 600km on his Enzo, for example) -- because of the depreciation -- providing much needed relief to the Ferrari marketing department (which you just cannot do in Formula 1!). However, because of its ease of use, I cannot see a 918 just sitting in a garage (unless someone bought two of them); this is also one area where the 918 clearly wins over the CGT which has been unfortunately stored away in too many garages because you do have to learn how to drive it (and continue to do so for its lifetime). The 918 screams to be used... Now and whenever...

Lastly, on top of all that, you have Porsche reliability and service (which has been fantastic for me on my CGT) which wins all product quality surveys and is legendary in itself. Ask a Ferrari person what they most admire about a Porsche and he will undoubtedly say "how well it is built".

So as Petevb said well, welcome to a new class of supercar: the 918. Or, as Richard Hammond put it, Porsche built a supercar for the future. It has not been an easy climb for it, but like with most things Porsche does, the "proof is in the pudding" (or, should I say, "in the driving") and it wins you over...

PS. I forgot to mention that the 918 does come with some extra bragging rights: if some snotty nosed tree hugger comes at you at a petrol station and makes a snide remark about your callousness to the environment and world resources, you look very concerned and then ask them what they are driving. As you look over in horror at what ever crap vehicle they do happen to be driving, you then get very concerned as you realise that they are being highly irresponsible and not taking the environment seriously! You then, of course, explain in a very normal Liberal condescending manner that your car pollutes less than a Toyota Prius (one other area where the 918 has "little" edge over the Fire Breathing Dragon, btw) and even has has a special carbon gas filter to avoid any nasty polluting vapours to go into the atmosphere. Then continue to stare at them in very concerned and overly serious manner...

Congratulations Porsche!

Cheers,

Steve
Old 11-24-2014, 04:11 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Oh boy! Let's keep things into perspective... Anyone can say the 918 is just a souped up Cayman...
We can all agree that the 918 is the winner for sure!
Old 11-24-2014, 05:37 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Or the Boxster is a baby CGT and now more modernised (and I really do like the Boxster)! Yes, okay, but what parts does the Cayman share with the 918: none except the basic design of the PDK clutch. The P1 has the same engine (tuned differently) and chassis as the fax machine (the MP4-12C which I do admire!). The LaFerrari is definitely more developed than the 458 (which I also admire) and I can see your Porsche analogy working more here! But the simple fill-in torque application of the battery to the big V12 and sophisticated chassis is not as nearly as revolutionary as the 918. In fact, the FF was much more so...
Old 11-24-2014, 05:39 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

And, by the way, I had understood that Porsche designed the front mechanism of the FF. Cheers
Old 11-24-2014, 05:49 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I believe Dr Walliser mentioned that the PDK in the 918 comes from the Turbo and it's installed flipped upside down with modified internals.

Watch from 5:45

Last edited by neanicu; 08-31-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:41 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Yes, but there were quite a few more significant changes than that (or, as you suggest, "modified internals")... Cheers, Steve

Last edited by Stephen Pitts; 11-24-2014 at 07:31 PM. Reason: better stated
Old 11-24-2014, 06:49 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Default Differences on the 918's PDK transmission

Yes, but there were quite a few more significant changes than that (or, as you suggest, "modified internals")... Cheers, Steve

Last edited by Stephen Pitts; 11-24-2014 at 07:32 PM.

Quick Reply: VIDEO: 918 vs P1 track test