Sponsored by:

918 delays

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 09:44 AM
918man
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 918 delays

Not sure whats going on wih everyone else but my car is dealyed 4 months at this point and it has not even gone into production yet. Its really pissing me off and pcna nor my dealer really have any solution. I understand why as far as the just in time production etc but I honestly dont care. Not my issue to deal with that as I am the end consumer.

I might be able to move my deposit with another dealer and have me trade with a customer. My current dealer would be pissed but I dont care.

I think if you are going to sell this type of car well be prepared for the buyer to actually want the car when promised.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:59 AM
swb3
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car just finished production, that is 4-5 months later than the original date I was given in July of 2013 but since then it has remained on track. Are you referring to a delay other than the original that slid all production?
Old 11-09-2014, 10:22 AM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 57 Posts

The customer is always right especially if they're giving you a million dollars.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:43 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by 918man
Not sure whats going on wih everyone else but my car is dealyed 4 months at this point and it has not even gone into production yet. Its really pissing me off and pcna nor my dealer really have any solution. I understand why as far as the just in time production etc but I honestly dont care. Not my issue to deal with that as I am the end consumer.

I might be able to move my deposit with another dealer and have me trade with a customer. My current dealer would be pissed but I dont care.

I think if you are going to sell this type of car well be prepared for the buyer to actually want the car when promised.

I was promised May initially, now 6 months later my car finally arrived. Walliser delayed production 6 months to tweak the car, then a few supplier issues that cause more delays, all in all it could have been 8-9 months.

Porsche actually did make back up some of the time, my car could have been here about 6-7 weeks earlier had they not put in the wrong dash and caused another 3 weeks delay.

Anyway, you dealer won't know much, especially from PCNA. Best case they will get a production month time frame. There is no firm 'date' on production until about a week before it enters production. You car won't get a slot until every parts arrived or are really close to getting finished.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:49 AM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

918Man, is this a new delay or part of the delay referred to by Whoopsy above? When did you order your car?

FWI, mine was completed last week. Well production at least. I believe it's still in testing/validation right now.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:29 PM
918man
Racer

Its just delayed. Nothing new other than its delayed. I m thinking of going to another dealer who can switch me out with another customer who doesnt care about delay. Dealer will be pissed but oh well.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:05 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Its just delayed. Nothing new other than its delayed. I m thinking of going to another dealer who can switch me out with another customer who doesnt care about delay. Dealer will be pissed but oh well.
That might work. I know it is possible to switch places with another buyer if you can find one that will do it.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:21 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Personally, I think it comes with the territory when you producing a machine of such immense sophistication and quality (and for an astounding price) -- this is bound to happen. I give Porsche full credit for holding back production to make sure every 918 they produce is absolutely perfect so you can enjoy it for many, many years to come... (at least I hope you all will). One only has to see the Top Gear episode on the 959 & F40 on the importance of this car being utterly reliable and appreciate their obsession with quality. My CGT soldiers on, km after km throughout Europe and it is utterly reliable (without which it wouldn't be much fun). I am sure in a few years I will have the highest mileage CGT in existence and yet not worry one hoot about it doing what it does everyday -- excite the hell out of me. Your 918, in its time, will do the same and this delay will soon be forgotten...
Old 11-09-2014, 09:30 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

That might not matter much if the quoted time slot is round the same time.

If the other slot is order locked, that means it should commence production within 6 weeks or so. But then again if it's locked then you can't change anything.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:33 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

The very last delay for my car, which was coinciding with the Toronto car fire, was about control units needing firmware updates, so instead of shipping the car and then have me go back to the dealership to get the car updated, they did the update at the factory and then re-validate the car with the new software.

After that was explained to me, I was quite pleased with how Porsche handles that. I think I trust the factory personal more than the dealership personal for validation.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:10 PM
918man
Racer

You all make great points. But i m still mad. I m acting like a spoiled child, well I kind of am, and I want my toy!!!!!
Old 11-09-2014, 11:49 PM
swb3
Instructor

You all make great points. But i m still mad. I m acting like a spoiled child, well I kind of am, and I want my toy!!!!!
Lol, absolutely!!!
Old 11-10-2014, 02:03 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Been there, done that, and I still waited 6 months after being a spoiled child with them, lol.

They also kept me waiting an extra 2 days after it arrived in Canada. 4 day transport from Toronto to Vancouver turned into 6 days.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:29 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have no delays here apart from the initial couple months .
That's me and 2 friends , I teresting
Old 11-11-2014, 02:40 PM
swb3
Instructor

On a positive note be happy you don't live here, my hopes of having a "918 weather winter" when it arrives look rather bleak!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 918 delays