Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 959 Photo Thread...by popular demand!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 09:56 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
The original speedometer w. odometer was replaced upon importation from Japan per our DOT certification regulations. The original gauge is in Kilometers. My very vague recollection is that the vehicle had less than 5000 Kilometers (< than 3107 miles) when this particular 959 was imported to the United States, but I will let the current owner address this fact when he gets a chance to check back with this forum!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Long story but I have one of those!

Last edited by David A; 04-25-2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:41 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by David A
Long story but I have one of those!
Tell us. It's a shame the folks that import these 959 & 'federalized' these modern day 'Grey Market' cars don't just keep the original KM gauge in a box in the trunk so that they stay with the original vehicle until eternity or 'Porsche Heaven', which ever comes first!

Originally Posted by Notmelo
Silver with the multiple colored seats were one of the more popular combinations for the comfort version of this vehicle. Mine was originally delivered in Japan to a collector who purchased two (I believe Canapa has the other one, pearl white with multi colored gray seats, currently for sale). At the time of importation, my car had 2,395 km. After Canapa changed out the odometer, running it forward to reflect actual miles, it clocked 1,488. I've owned the car 15 months and put half again as many miles on it. The best part of ownership is it's so unassuming. Everyone thinks it's an old 911 with a body kit. The car is meant to be driven and is relatively easy to drive. But, for anyone looking for a garage queen, Canapa also has the last 1988 produced in n his inventory.
Just to make it clear, Mr. Notmelo is the current owner of the original, low mileage 559 I have photographed for this thread! If you have any questions for him re: his car, please post away!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 10-29-2014, 10:56 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

If you have any questions for him re: his car, please post away

Mr Notmelo,how does it feel to be such a lucky person?
Old 10-29-2014, 11:08 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Tell us.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
It came from a Uk spec LHD 959 (No RHD 959 was ever built) imported to France in 89. The original was gifted to me and if you look at the seals, it was never opened.

I also have a rear wheel that was badly curbed that I need to repair but since it's magnesium, I haven't found anyone. That was gifted to me too!

Last edited by David A; 04-25-2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:38 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by David A
I also have a rear wheel that was badly curbed that I need to repair but since it's magnesium, I haven't found anyone.
FedEx it to me. I have a crew in nearby Salinas of three guys that can handle it (two hold the wheel in place and one does the actual work!). They wear gloves and everything. I asked them about 'Magnesium' and they said 'No problema. Easy as milk'.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images   
Old 10-30-2014, 12:11 PM
Notmelo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Mr Notmelo,how does it feel to be such a lucky person?
Fun car!
Old 10-30-2014, 05:23 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612

In Aspen spoke with the owner and asked if he ever decides to let it go to please call me first. He laughed and said he bought it new and would be buried in the car if he could.
This is going to set off a firestorm...but there is a known "fake/replica" 959 that resides in Aspen. Here's a couple threads from the internet mentioning it. Could this be the one you saw?

http://manonthemove.com/2010/02/23/p...-ave-aspen-co/

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...nly-aspen.html

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-56k-will-burn
Old 10-30-2014, 05:31 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Any pics of the best parts? Let's see some of that double A arm suspension, front and rear, that they somehow managed to fit to what's really rather close to an original 911 frame!
Old 10-30-2014, 08:51 PM
Notmelo
Instructor

Definitely as replica. Mirrors are wrong, third brake light. Nice 911 though.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:18 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Best parts...

Originally Posted by Notmelo
Definitely a replica...Nice 911 though.
You are way too kind!

Originally Posted by Petevb
Any pics of the best parts? Let's see some of that double A arm suspension, front and rear, that they somehow managed to fit to what's really rather close to an original 911 frame!
I didn't get to see the underside. Best to take photos of these parts when the car is on a lift. Perhaps Mr. Notmelo has some from when he had this 559 inspected that he can share with us!

In the meantime, some enterprising apprentices at PAG years ago did a fantastic cut-away of a 959 so that we can all see how it all works 'underneath'! It toured the world's auto shows back in its day. Around 10 years ago, this unique cutaway model used to be on display at the EFA Automuseum in Amerang (Bavaria), Germany! Perhaps somebody can confirm if it's still there or moved to another museum in Germany!

http://www.efa-automuseum.de/home/

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

PS Final shot shows part of the suspension of a 959! Impressive indeed!

Attached Images       
Old 10-31-2014, 12:25 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

In this thread, this guy rebuilds a crashed 959! With photos.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...che-959-a.html
Old 10-31-2014, 12:09 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In the meantime, some enterprising apprentices at PAG years ago did a fantastic cut-away of a 959 so that we can all see how it all works 'underneath'! It toured the world's auto shows back in its day. Around 10 years ago, this unique cutaway model used to be on display at the EFA Automuseum in Amerang (Bavaria), Germany! Perhaps somebody can confirm if it's still there or moved to another museum in Germany!
It has been my dream to one day own the 959 cutaway. I think it will be easier to acquire a complete 959 first.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:40 PM
Notmelo
Instructor

You are way too kind! I didn't get to see the underside. Best to take photos of these parts when the car is on a lift. Perhaps Mr. Notmelo has some from when he had this 559 inspected that he can share with us! In the meantime, some enterprising apprentices at PAG years ago did a fantastic cut-away of a 959 so that we can all see how it all works 'underneath'! It toured the world's auto shows back in its day. Around 10 years ago, this unique cutaway model used to be on display at the EFA Automuseum in Amerang (Bavaria), Germany! Perhaps somebody can confirm if it's still there or moved to another museum in Germany! http://www.efa-automuseum.de/home/ Saludos, Eduardo Carmel PS Final shot shows part of the suspension of a 959! Impressive indeed! .
I remember seeing this somewhere in my travels. Note the cool multicolored seats.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:15 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petevb
You can see them in this thread, middle of the page:

https://rennlist.com/forums/west-us-...porsche-2.html
Old 11-03-2014, 06:35 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

PS Final shot shows part of the suspension of a 959! Impressive indeed!
Yea that's the good stuff, and an amazing bit of packaging to convert semi-trailing arms to double wishbones and make it look like it belongs. The steel A arms and sub-frames look very "period" to modern eyes- nearly everything uses to aluminum castings these days. However performance wise I suspect they left very little on the table compared to a more "modern" looking alternatives, and in fact were probably significantly superior in the 959's case:

Not only does the steel not fatigue-cycle out like aluminum will, theoretically giving these parts much longer life, but in this case its use instead of aluminum was likely the direct result of hard won "lessons learned" from the 911 rally program. Rally predecessors to the 959 (ie the SC-RS) either converted from modern aluminum semi-trailing arms to old-school steel or used kevlar "flack jackets" to protect the aluminum parts. This was because they'd learned (the hard way) that the constant shot-peening of rocks hitting the trailing arms during rally stages caused the aluminum suspension arms to work-harden and then crack. Meanwhile steel was immune... The kind of thing you only learn by running Dakar, and invaluable when you're designing the basis for a Group B rally homologation.

The 959's the real deal, real old school hard-core down to its very bones.

Last edited by Petevb; 11-06-2014 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Porsche 959 Photo Thread...by popular demand!