Sponsored by:

Took the plunge on a 918

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 12:37 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by SuncoastParts
We appreciate it! I believe we've only sold one set so far, so that must have been yours. Looks like quite a few more owners will be taking delivery very soon. Congrats again to you both!

LOL, that was like almost 3-4 months ago that I purchased the lights. Surprised I am still the only one.

I think I have been a customer of yours since 2007 or something, you guys have never let me down, well other than the Bongo verification thing, but that's kind of our of your control. Ryan was the one that dealt with my requests the most.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:30 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

IMO the wrapped cars will have better value going forward
Congratulations on your car! In terms of the wrap option, you can always do a wrap afterwards, factory paint, you get one chance. Would ask your sales rp for the 918 schematic, just in case you want to a temporary wrap for a driving event.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:54 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went to the factory on Tuesday and (more or less..) finalised my spec. First thing is that it was 100% worth the trip if you can make it. It's only then that you can see the quality of the production line and the cars themselves, as they are built up. You can also try the different options such as seat padding, see lots of different colours in real life, and on small model car shells that they have painted in various hues of PTS options.

The Porsche museum was also worth a visit, and we were well looked after - 2x business class flights (Europe), hotel, lunch, collected by board members' chauffeur etc.

There were probably 20 cars on the line and they are being finished 4 per day, inc weekends. We saw a couple come off the line when we were there. (Heynow - I saw three liquid sliver cars but could only get close to one, which was headed for China)

In the end I went for a Weissach pack with quite a few things added back in - storage, sound, climate, but not sound deadening. I am awaiting results of PTS sample on a blue that I want before finalising that, but I am very tempted to put a matte black wrap on top. If you'd asked me beforehand I'd have said that was the least likely color...but having seen (another Chinese) car in the factory, looking very very sharp and giving a different aggression to the whole car, I'm thinking it's hard to pass on, and I can always unwrap.

Standard black leather and acid green stitching, callipers. Again, the factory trip helped me rule out a couple of other interior options which in reality didn't look exactly as I'd imagined. I also think that the acid green is part of the car's image DNA. I did, however, delete all the 918 and hybrid badges, leaving only the porsche ones, which are mandatory.

I took the carbon mats, although apparently they are destructive on leather work-type shoes. there are standard black mats included whether you go carbon or not. I also went for the photo build record as it seemed pointless to resist by then.., and a good companion for the car.

Finally, I am going to collect from Leipzig as that includes 2hrs exclusive use of the test track, either in your own car or one of theirs, and an instructor as long as you want one for. I also confirmed that I will then be able to drive as fast as I want, unrestricted on my own, for the rest of the session. If I time it right for traffic-lite trip 200mph Autobahn home afterwards, all should be good!

Difficult thing is now to wait til April/May, but there is no winter tire option anyway!
Old 10-04-2014, 10:55 AM
biko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Footsoldier, sounds like you had a great experience!
Old 10-04-2014, 02:05 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
I went to the factory on Tuesday and (more or less..) finalised my spec. First thing is that it was 100% worth the trip if you can make it. It's only then that you can see the quality of the production line and the cars themselves, as they are built up. You can also try the different options such as seat padding, see lots of different colours in real life, and on small model car shells that they have painted in various hues of PTS options.

The Porsche museum was also worth a visit, and we were well looked after - 2x business class flights (Europe), hotel, lunch, collected by board members' chauffeur etc.

There were probably 20 cars on the line and they are being finished 4 per day, inc weekends. We saw a couple come off the line when we were there. (Heynow - I saw three liquid sliver cars but could only get close to one, which was headed for China)

In the end I went for a Weissach pack with quite a few things added back in - storage, sound, climate, but not sound deadening. I am awaiting results of PTS sample on a blue that I want before finalising that, but I am very tempted to put a matte black wrap on top. If you'd asked me beforehand I'd have said that was the least likely color...but having seen (another Chinese) car in the factory, looking very very sharp and giving a different aggression to the whole car, I'm thinking it's hard to pass on, and I can always unwrap.

Standard black leather and acid green stitching, callipers. Again, the factory trip helped me rule out a couple of other interior options which in reality didn't look exactly as I'd imagined. I also think that the acid green is part of the car's image DNA. I did, however, delete all the 918 and hybrid badges, leaving only the porsche ones, which are mandatory.

I took the carbon mats, although apparently they are destructive on leather work-type shoes. there are standard black mats included whether you go carbon or not. I also went for the photo build record as it seemed pointless to resist by then.., and a good companion for the car.

Finally, I am going to collect from Leipzig as that includes 2hrs exclusive use of the test track, either in your own car or one of theirs, and an instructor as long as you want one for. I also confirmed that I will then be able to drive as fast as I want, unrestricted on my own, for the rest of the session. If I time it right for traffic-lite trip 200mph Autobahn home afterwards, all should be good!

Difficult thing is now to wait til April/May, but there is no winter tire option anyway!
Congrats. Black with acid green stitching is going to look awesome.

(Maybe someday someone will spec an acid green interior with black stitching ... )
Old 10-04-2014, 04:56 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

Congrats Footsoldier! I'm a little bit behind you in terms of the build slot, but I'm trying to schedule a visit to the factory sometimes early next year!
Old 10-05-2014, 11:45 PM
heynow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Footsoldier, thanks for keeping an eye out! Thinking maybe it might be worth doing the european delivery .
Old 10-06-2014, 09:40 PM
Michael246
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the sound deadening option? I have taken delivery of a weissach car in the US already and added all the options back but sound deadening was never mentioned to me (I know what it is). So is that included when I added the radio and A/C back or would it be left out?
Old 10-06-2014, 10:54 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

In the end I went for a Weissach pack with quite a few things added back in - storage, sound, climate, but not sound deadening.
Originally Posted by Michael246
What is the sound deadening option? I have taken delivery of a weissach car in the US already and added all the options back but sound deadening was never mentioned to me (I know what it is). So is that included when I added the radio and A/C back or would it be left out?
Like Michael246, I am also confused! I was NOT aware you could add the 'sound deadening' BACK to the Weissach model. According to the official hardbound 918 brochure, the latter has 11.7 pounds less of 'damping' [sic]* and doesn't include 4.4 pounds of 'textile lining on the rear wall'. Both add up to a savings of slightly over 16 pounds!

The add back of 'sound deadening' mentioned by 'footsoldier' is not on any of the option list for the Weisssach Package model that I know of! Perhaps someone should check with 918 Relationship Manager David Donohue and confirm for us all if that is an available option for the Weissach and what it consists of.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

*'Reduced damping' is how it's described in the English version of the 918 brochure. Probably a translation error from the original German text. Probably meant to say 'dampening' as in 'sound suppression' or 'sound deadening'. Unless they are talking about damping a harmonic oscillation. But that is a science above & beyond my pay grade.

Last edited by Z356; 10-06-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:21 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

I don't want to cause confusion...but I actually picked up on here that someone (may have been Whoopsy?) had added back the standard "noise insulation" or whatever is the technical term...that's why I knew it was an option.

In any event, at Stuttgart, I definitely discussed in some detail the option to have the normal level of insulation added back to my Weissach car. (In fact, pretty much any of the standard features could be added back at nil cost).

I remember it well, (and have a witness!), as I was intending to go with more sound proofing, and brought it up. however, the concierge made sense when he said that, to him, the noise was all a big part of the experience; that the difference would normally be minimal anyway, and with the roof off it wouldn't even be noticeable at all, with exhaust howling.

It was 100% up to me if I wanted it to stay Weissach spec sound-proofing, or go back to standard. Similarly, I kept the Weissach door pulls, but I did add back the standard door pocket storage and the glovebox, and also the slim pocket for the car books behind the driver's seat.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:22 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Michael246 - on your specific question, my opinion is that it is separate from the AC and the radio, which I also added back.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 503 Posts

No it wasn't me.

Deleting the sound insulation is part of the Weissach pack, the sound insulation is like those dynamat material for quieting the cabin.

I didn't specifically add it back, as I didn't mentioned it on my configuration, I figured they would have been left out on my car.

I have been in both cars, subjectively, I can't say I noticed a difference in sound. Roof panels were off in both cases so that might have a lot to do about the extra noise.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:27 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't know adding it back was an option. So I'm guessing mine will come with less sound deadening material.

FWIW, the non-Weissach car I drove was much quieter than I had expected (roof panels were on). I'm hoping that with less sound deadening material it will be a little bit louder... but not too loud. Actually, I think it will be fine. It's not the volume that gets to me so much as the specific resonance of the exhaust system. Some resonances tend to give me a headache -- usually the resonances produced by aftermarket exhaust manufacturers.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:52 AM
anonymous918
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Nice spec.

The calipers - smart move those green calipers are on every hybrid Porsche makes.
do you know how caliper painting happens at the assembly line? do they pull your car after it is assembled into special CXX area where wheels are taken off and calipers are re-painted or do they get calipers pre-painted before they even get installed on the car on the assembly line?
Old 11-24-2014, 08:31 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the sound deadening added back to my car . Not all of it just the rear behind the driver . My ears are slightly damaged and I want the better cabin insulation ( not the rest just the cabin ) for long European tours . The option was not available , I asked very kindly and then they were able to arrange this for me . It took a few moths that's one of the reasons my car was so late. At the time I made my request I was the only person that had asked for this .

Quick Reply: Took the plunge on a 918