Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 918 or at least a report of it

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 03:39 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 500 Posts

For those that are still waiting for their cars, I might have a bit of bad news, but not as bad as mine.

Every single car produced behind mine are being held, every single car produced before mine has shipped. Mine was the 1st car they stop at the gate, validation hold in Porsche speak, it will the first one out of the gate once the hold is lifted.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:08 AM
918man
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
For those that are still waiting for their cars, I might have a bit of bad news, but not as bad as mine.

Every single car produced behind mine are being held, every single car produced before mine has shipped. Mine was the 1st car they stop at the gate, validation hold in Porsche speak, it will the first one out of the gate once the hold is lifted.

Why are they holding? Toronto fire? How much is it delayed from when they originally promised it to you?
Old 10-11-2014, 12:59 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Let's just say I have been waiting for my car since May. Since then I have bought 4 cars and a house while waiting to pay Porsche.

And yes, the Toronto fire has something to do with the hold.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:11 PM
swb3
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got off the phone with David Donahue. He stated that the hold is NOT related to the fire and while they still have not been given access to the report on the car that burned Porsche does not believe the problem is with the car and that there are no restrictions on the cars that have been delivered.

The hold is related to another supplier issue(he stated it is just an unfortunate coincidence that it occurred at about the same time) and he has several cars ready to be delivered I suspect Whoopsy's is one of them and he anticipates hearing Monday or Tuesday that those cars will be released for air freight delivery. In any event it does not sound like this is going to be protracted and again he stated this is NOT related to the fire.

Last edited by swb3; 10-11-2014 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 10-11-2014, 01:18 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Whoopsy,

Was your car originally expected to be delivered in May? i.e., it has been delayed by 5 months (so far)?
Old 10-11-2014, 06:37 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Yes, that was the initial promise to me when I put down my deposit, as they were targeting Sept 18, 2013 as their start of production, mine was suppose to be a March/April production car.

But as Walliser decided to improve the more and delay the start 6 months, my car obviously has been pushed back. During that time, they have stated that they would ramp up production to make up for that delay and I was suppose to get a June production. But with supplier trouble that got throw out the window too, then I was told a July build, then August, and finally Sept came and they finally build it. But now it has more delay because of the fire.

Am I disappointed? Very much so. But they have been very good to me during the delays, I was kept in the information loop for all the delays and while some reasons are public knowledge, some are not and I had made a promise to not leak them or talk about them until they because public knowledge. They also hasn't really turned down a single request from me either, but then again I haven't really been a demanding person, whatever I asked for are within reason.

As a matter of fact, they just sent me to a Porsche Performance Tour last 3 days, it was the 1st time they organize one in Canada, I just came back last night. They picked up the tab, all $3500 plus whatever we drank at the bar.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by swb3
I just got off the phone with David Donahue. He stated that the hold is NOT related to the fire and while they still have not been given access to the report on the car that burned Porsche does not believe the problem is with the car and that there are no restrictions on the cars that have been delivered.

The hold is related to another supplier issue(he stated it is just an unfortunate coincidence that it occurred at about the same time) and he has several cars ready to be delivered I suspect Whoopsy's is one of them and he anticipates hearing Monday or Tuesday that those cars will be released for air freight delivery. In any event it does not sound like this is going to be protracted and again he stated this is NOT related to the fire.

@Porsche: If you guys are reading here, He did it! I didn't say nothing.

Haha.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:57 PM
918man
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
@Porsche: If you guys are reading here, He did it! I didn't say nothing.

Haha.

So mine hasnt wven started to be built yet. Supposed to be built in dec. deliver in april may. You guys think they make that timeframe or no
Old 10-11-2014, 08:09 PM
swb3
Instructor

I would say this, my car when I ordered it was to be a July build and they indicated late September delivery. The whole production line was delayed about 5 months on the very front end. My new production start was to have been in November but as of a month ago it was moved up to start the last week in October. This delay does not sound like much of a concern and they have proven that if not for the initial delay things are pretty close. I do not think I would be to concerned about your date
Old 10-11-2014, 08:21 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was at the factory last week, and it is definitely full steam ahead. Looks like they are completing cars, even if they are then being held temporarily. We definitely saw cars coming off the line.

Also, my final spec from visit came through this week, and I reconfirmed March build and was told 'aboslutely', and also there might even be a small chance of moving up before then, given my car is specced ahead of schedule.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:25 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 861 Likes on 381 Posts

Mine is scheduled for April 2015 production with July/Aug delivery...so I still have ways to go! Granted, I just received my commission number this past Friday =D

Does anyone know the price for PTS on the 918?
Old 10-11-2014, 08:49 PM
swb3
Instructor

Originally Posted by unotaz
Mine is scheduled for April 2015 production with July/Aug delivery...so I still have ways to go! Granted, I just received my commission number this past Friday =D

This may or may not help, my Onyx White PTS was $21,000.

Last edited by swb3; 10-11-2014 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-11-2014, 09:33 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by swb3
This may or may not help, my Onyx White PTS was $21,000.
I was given that $20K+ figure for PTS in the 918 by Melissa Witek at The Thermal Club 918 event last November. Interestingly enough, 'Oryx White Pearl Effect Metallic' is double the normal $5500 cost of PTS on a 991/981. But if swb's paint is that same hue (Onyx White?), it looks like PAG is not charging extra for that special 'pearl effect' PTS color which requires extra work to lay it on correctly on a car's body panels (although not as complicated as the more expensive two 'Liquid Metal' colors).

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 10-11-2014, 10:09 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 861 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
I was given that $20K+ figure for PTS in the 918 by Melissa Witek at The Thermal Club 918 event last November. Interestingly enough, 'Oryx White Pearl Effect Metallic' is double the normal $5500 cost of PTS on a 991/981. But if swb's paint is that same hue (Onyx White?), it looks like PAG is not charging extra for that special 'pearl effect' PTS color which requires extra work to lay it on correctly on a car's body panels (although not as complicated as the more expensive two 'Liquid Metal' colors).

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

I see. If that's the case, then if I choose to go with PTS, then I would definitely order the pearl effect paint and get my bucks worth (if you can call a $21,000 paint job that)

I'm leaning towards some kind of yellow. Maybe Lamborghini's Giallo Orion (pearl yellow). Any other suggestions??
Old 10-11-2014, 10:47 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default PTS

I see. If that's the case, then if I choose to go with PTS, then I would definitely order the pearl effect paint and get my bucks worth (if you can call a $21,000 paint job that)

I'm leaning towards some kind of yellow. Maybe Lamborghini's Giallo Orion (pearl yellow). Any other suggestions??
The place to start your PTS search is with the most current PTS list that Porsche has published. The first attached list is dated September of 2014, so it's pretty current. Remember that any color you choose that is not on that list as approved, or undergoing feasibility study (e.g. Giallo Orion*), will need to be tested for coverage & fade issues. That could take months. And you have no assurances that your color will be approved after the test. You also need to send them an actual example of the color you want painted on a piece of metal. That's why the program is called 'Paint to Sample'. Every single color you see on that list was first requested by a paying customer of Porsche for a specific model and a feasibility test was done on it in recent times! And some colors, previously approved, are often 'dropped' if they prove to have warranty issues years down the road. 'RS Orange', the beautiful color that was developed for the MY2007 .1 997 gt3 RS', has not been offered since MY2010.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

By the way, the pts list has grown quite a bit since first published in 2012. The second attachment is the first version I published here on Rennlist back when I started the thread on 'Custom Ordering':

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...e-and-you.html

*Several Lamborghini colors have already been rejected, including 'Verde Ithaca' (first photo). But you might get lucky. To me, the most significant yellow on that list is 'Signal Yellow'. The latter is an outstanding color with heritage at Porsche dating back to the early long hood 911's. I had an original paint 'Signal Yellow' 1973 T coupe and it was a stunning color (second photo).

Attached Images   
Attached Images

Quick Reply: My 918 or at least a report of it