Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 918 or at least a report of it

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 06:21 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Awesome trip - glad you were able to rearrange your schedule to visit the assembly process. A once in a lifetime opportunity! will the 918 e shipped via air freight?
Old 09-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,147 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Zucc
It think it say a lot about the car when some owners are already buying a second one.

If one can see past the press's headlines, it is an amazing car, especially for those that can spend more than the usual press laps inside the car. The weight issue is in reality not an issue. All 3 hypercars are really around the same weight in reality. My Speciale was suppose to clock the scale at just over 3000lb but when someone weighted theirs it came out to be 3600lb. I believe one can expect the same difference for the LaFerrari. My 12C was supposed to be around 3100lbs, but on the street it's actually closer to 3400lb. One can safely assume the same increase in weight from what Ferrari and McLaren published vs actually street weight of their cars.

There is really nothing on the market right that is on par with the 918. Not the LaFerrari and certainly not the P1. AWD, ~900hp, amazing electric range, record Ring lap, you name it.

For those that are fortunate enough to visit the factory, the build process and fit and finish is second to nothing. Fitting for a million dollar car. You do get what you paid for.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:26 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3_racer
Great story. Thanks for sharing! My only gripe is that you didn't see a oryx white weissach on the floor... That means mine hasn't started yet.

On a positive note, maybe I can swing a trip like you did and see mine on the floor.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
So when did they say your order was locked?

Orders get locked down around 4-6 weeks before actual production starts. Mine gets locked a bit earlier as I had to deal with the August factory holiday.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:30 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brake dust
Awesome trip - glad you were able to rearrange your schedule to visit the assembly process. A once in a lifetime opportunity! will the 918 e shipped via air freight?

As far as I was told, most of the early cars will be air freighted, but I think Eduardo mentioned that he was told all 918s will be air freighted. And yes mine will be flying in, at least to Canada, then trailered to the West Coast.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:57 AM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
My 12C was supposed to be around 3100lbs, but on the street it's actually closer to 3400lb. One can safely assume the same increase in weight from what Ferrari and McLaren published vs actually street weight of their cars.
That is surprising, i weighed my 12c and it weighed fully fueled at ~1472kg vs factory claimed kerb weight of 1430kg (i think). The car had the light wheels but no ceramic brakes/cf options and the heavier electric seats and also some various stuff in the boot.

Having also weighed both a CGT and 4.0RS, both came in a considerable amount higher than factory claim and most people I know who have weighed various Porsches have found much the same..
Old 09-08-2014, 01:14 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Totally totally awesome and absolutely worth the trip it sounds like...
Old 09-08-2014, 03:19 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by isv
That is surprising, i weighed my 12c and it weighed fully fueled at ~1472kg vs factory claimed kerb weight of 1430kg (i think). The car had the light wheels but no ceramic brakes/cf options and the heavier electric seats and also some various stuff in the boot.

Having also weighed both a CGT and 4.0RS, both came in a considerable amount higher than factory claim and most people I know who have weighed various Porsches have found much the same..

I went on a truck scale and with me in it it weights 3410lb. But maybe with half a tank of gas.

No idea how accurate those things are, it was just a fun detour on a road trip.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Notmelo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoopsy:

Just out of curiosity, what was the color of the car pulled off the assembly line? Also, did anyone explain why, if their non US allocation is sold out, they can't reconfigure the hundred US slots to the other world markets?
My car was supposedly completed August 21 and it is still sitting in Germany.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Notmelo
Whoopsy:

Just out of curiosity, what was the color of the car pulled off the assembly line? Also, did anyone explain why, if their non US allocation is sold out, they can't reconfigure the hundred US slots to the other world markets?
My car was supposedly completed August 21 and it is still sitting in Germany.

The one got pulled off the side is a Weissach pack car in Rhodium Silver. It's seems to in not that much trouble, they were working on the underside of the car, word is that something got installed incorrectly or not properly so they were pulling stuff off to redo it again.

As for allocations, they are still keeping hope that USA will fill it's allotment. But it would be natural to expect if the orders dry up they will be allocate to other world markets.

Aug 21st, isn't that right in the middle of the factory holiday? But anyway, if your completion means finishing validation and not completed assembly, then it is likely getting lined up for shipping right now.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:59 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

I for one am glad they haven't reallocated the US allocations yet as I get to tag along next week for a test drive. Can't wait!
Old 09-09-2014, 01:37 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Notmelo
Whoopsy:

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
As for allocations, they are still keeping hope that USA will fill it's allotment. But it would be natural to expect if the orders dry up they will be allocate to other world markets.
European recovery is fragile.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/car-s...ion-1405578498

The Orient is less interested in the sport models that you would think. A Pagani representative recently told me that they are not encouraged by the European luxury market. Who knows. But re-allocation to other world markets for the remaining unsold 918's might be harder than most think. In the meantime, David Donohue has his hands full right here in the good old USA and much is expected of his efforts. Is that pressure enough, David?

On the other topic, I heard from an usually reliable source in Zuffenhausen that someone threw a rock over a fence and hit a 'Rhodium Silver' 918 (non-Weissach) with a Red Leather Interior just as it was being loaded on to a carrier to be delivered to the airport for its flight to the US (photo below)! The culprit was later identified as a disgruntled 991 gt3 customer which had his vehicle scheduled for December production and was refused PTS at the last minute by 'Porsche Exclusive'! I can understand his frustration...but to take it out on this 918 is senseless, don't you think? Notmelo, what color combo is your 918?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2014, 03:37 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Rhodium Silver again. This colour seems to be a very popular choice for the 918. Almost can call it the 'poor man' liquid metal silver haha

Believe it or not, Pagani actually plays in a different field than the 918s, it's competition is the Veyron. I just spent the weekend at our local Concours d'Elegance. 2 years now Pagani had a presence and they have yet to sell a single Huayra in Canada, and they had hoped to sell 2. The exposed carbon weave is nice, the bejewelled interior is also nice, but when crunch time comes, people vote with their money and buy the Veyron instead. The Huayra is one of the ugliest car design ever, there is no sugar coating that fact. it is special, since it's not a well known name to most people yet and rarely can one see a real car in person, but I have yet to find someone who wants a Huayra over a Zonda.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:38 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Eduardo, was that an April Fool's joke? The part about someone throwing the rock is believable, but the 991 GT3 refused PTS... that sounds more like April Fool's material.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Whoopsy. You may be either the only or the last person that was able to visit the factory while his car was still on the line. I have been told twice now that is not possible.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:11 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

You have PM

Quick Reply: My 918 or at least a report of it