Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 918 or at least a report of it

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 03:26 AM
todbod
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

They said as much for me. Whoopsy, can I get the PM too?
Old 09-10-2014, 11:49 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,773 Likes on 4,773 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy

Believe it or not, Pagani actually plays in a different field than the 918s, it's competition is the Veyron. I just spent the weekend at our local Concours d'Elegance. 2 years now Pagani had a presence and they have yet to sell a single Huayra in Canada, and they had hoped to sell 2. The exposed carbon weave is nice, the bejewelled interior is also nice, but when crunch time comes, people vote with their money and buy the Veyron instead. The Huayra is one of the ugliest car design ever, there is no sugar coating that fact. it is special, since it's not a well known name to most people yet and rarely can one see a real car in person, but I have yet to find someone who wants a Huayra over a Zonda.
Totally agree on the Huayra.

And speaking of bespoke, if I want a bespoke car, the engine better be bespoke (or at least built/designed in-house and not some tweaked AMG off-the-shelf product).

Bespoke interiors are nice, but if that's all I wanted, I'd just redo my man-cave.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:48 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

Shared this thread at lunch today with my friend who just ordered his 918. I think he's going to make the trip. Thanks for sharing your experience and big congrats on your purchase.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:33 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 503 Posts

It would seems PCNA has been quite non-responsive with inquires for factory visits. I don't believe that's acceptable for people who have committed so much money into buying the 918. I have no idea why the are acting that way as Porsche Canada, whom I dealt with, is quite receptive on requests. I wonder if enough of you American buyers say something and contact PCNA together can change their stance.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:42 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey Nick,
when is your 918 arriving at Porsche center?
last time I spoke with the sales manager, he said we will have 5 coming in?!
if they are not making a party when your car arrives, then I may need to come to your house to see it, or line up at Robson to take pictures while you are dining...
Old 09-12-2014, 01:19 PM
swb3
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put in my request to visit the factory again when my car is on the floor and it has been dead silence. Back in February March they were extremely helpful and responsive and the visit was great. I wonder if as they have ramped up production and now are almost sold out they feel the visits are becoming a nuisance?
Old 09-12-2014, 02:44 PM
HRE Wheels
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Very cool, thank you for you sharing!
Old 09-12-2014, 06:36 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Porsche has informed me that my car 'should' be here in 3 weeks. Not sure why it's taking that long as it should have came out of validation yesterday or today.

There will be a launch party, but still need to know WHEN the car is arriving before organizing. Hard to do a 918 launch party when there is no 918 in the house.

Yes there will be 5, mine, 2 for the 2 dealers' principals, and 2 more to some Chinese customers who may not may not be able to pay for their car when theirs arrives. The other 4 are coming some time next year.

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Hey Nick,
when is your 918 arriving at Porsche center?
last time I spoke with the sales manager, he said we will have 5 coming in?!
if they are not making a party when your car arrives, then I may need to come to your house to see it, or line up at Robson to take pictures while you are dining...
Old 09-12-2014, 09:19 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by swb3
I put in my request to visit the factory again when my car is on the floor and it has been dead silence. Back in February March they were extremely helpful and responsive and the visit was great. I wonder if as they have ramped up production and now are almost sold out they feel the visits are becoming a nuisance?
Disclaimer: Everything that follows is just my $0.02 as they say. Here it goes.

From what I understand, anyone can schedule a factory tour for almost any weekday, whether or not you are a Porsche owner. Granted, I'm not sure if that gets you the chance to see the 918 floor or not. I only make this observation to make a point: apparently factory tours, per se, are not a nuisance. This leads me to ask the following:

Is it that they don't want anyone, except staff, on the 918 floor?

Or is it that they don't want to have to tell a subset of 918 owners (those interested in a visit) when their cars are expected to be on the floor?

If the latter, I can't imagine it being too much of a nuisance as long as it was done under the same terms as Nick's visit,i.e., "here's the date range we think the car will be on the floor, get here if you can." If some number of 918 owners did take them up on the offer, I doubt it would add appreciably to the number of people who visit the factory each year. And I can't imagine it would be that problematic to send out an email or make a phone call when once the date becomes known.

P.S. I have already ruled out the old "we can't make exceptions for one group because everyone will want to do it" excuse. I think it could easily be considered part of the "exclusivity" that goes with 918 ownership.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:37 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

One more thought occurred to me. The chance to be there when your car is completed just might help sell more cars. Exclusivity sells.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:59 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 474 Likes on 317 Posts

Congrats.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:39 PM
Notmelo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoopsy:

I am guessing your car hasn't been delivered yet. What are they telling you?
Old 10-05-2014, 03:36 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Waiting on report on the Toronto fire. My car 'should' have been done with validation as of this past Friday, if no hold is issued and no problems found, it will be ready for shipping. But then again it was a German holiday on Friday, so they might have delayed the validation thing 1 day till Monday. Don't think they work weekends.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:42 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

i sure hope this fire incident dosnt delay these cars
Old 10-10-2014, 11:22 PM
Notmelo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I would like to hear feedback from those that have actually taken delivery.; any electronic glitches, how about the steering wheel volume control,any unexpected, premature extensions of the spoiler, and how about ground clearance with the lift kit?

Quick Reply: My 918 or at least a report of it