Sponsored by:

Front grill mesh - good idea ?

Old 09-02-2014, 02:06 PM
JonV12V
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front grill mesh - good idea ?

Hi All

As the title suggests, do you consider this a good idea to fit or does it spoil the clean look of the CGT ?

Appreciate views as it appears to be a relatively low cost customisation versus the cost of replacing a holed radiator(s).

Cheers Jon
Old 09-02-2014, 02:26 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 177 Posts

The front air intakes do have a tendency to get road debris in them - especially if you're driving a lot during the Fall. So far, I've not had any issues with damage to radiators and just use my leaf blower to clear things out afterwards. I've not installed the mesh because I prefer the open look.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:50 PM
bojali
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

we had a discussion back in 01/2010 on this. A few cgt owners have had leaks and some damage with road debris. so its a mix, but check around that time frame and you will find some information.

Do you plan on tracking the car? I hit something while driving home, not sure if it was a bird or something off a tire.. but my screens kept it from damaging the center radiator.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...t-screens.html
Old 09-03-2014, 02:20 AM
JonV12V
Track Day

Thanks bojali and bbs993tt - it seems like the sensible thing to fit, given the cost of replacement radiators. Thanks for the link containing photos - very useful. Got to admit I prefer the clean look, but there again the radiators are totally exposed to the elements and I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time before a stone or small bird gets consumed in the front PU.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:56 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

I just wonder if there are any aerodynamic effects at high speeds (on the autobahn, etc.)? For both looks and this concern, I prefer to keep it open... Cheers
Old 09-03-2014, 07:54 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Radiator guard is essential , especially if you track it .
I hit 217 in mine in Germany once and it felt fine aerodynamically btw
Old 09-03-2014, 08:19 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Sorry wtdoom, just two quick questions (in reverse order to your statements):

(1) the 217 was in km/hour or, as one may only imagine, miles/hr? The former being highly manageable and the latter, well... I have hit just shy of 300km/hr and it is pretty scary for me (anything past 250km/hr seems to take on a different dimension).

(2) why would tracks -- which would seem relatively clean to me(?) -- require more protection? Is it because of the consequence of radiator damage on a track (where you are really using the engine to max)?

Just curious!

Cheers,

Steve
Old 09-04-2014, 04:18 AM
Anthony_Vince
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stephen Pitts
Sorry wtdoom, just two quick questions (in reverse order to your statements):

(1) the 217 was in km/hour or, as one may only imagine, miles/hr? The former being highly manageable and the latter, well... I have hit just shy of 300km/hr and it is pretty scary for me (anything past 250km/hr seems to take on a different dimension).

(2) why would tracks -- which would seem relatively clean to me(?) -- require more protection? Is it because of the consequence of radiator damage on a track (where you are really using the engine to max)?

Just curious!

Cheers,

Steve
Depending on how 'green' the track is alot of rubber can get flicked up from cars in front especially when they go offline to allow you to overtake. Plus on track days there are numerous offs drivers have and drag debris onto the track which become missiles at speed.

I'm not so sure about the front grills, I have them and I replaced one radiator last year and have been advised of pin size leaks on 2 of them this year. I suppose it could have been corrosion though.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:57 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It shouldn't be a problem aerodynamically and they can be made to look good (or be hard to see). We always use them on race cars. Of course there's much greater risk on the track. If it's a track car, I would definitely do it. For a street car, I haven't done it historically. The risk is much lower. And if something did happen to the radiator you can just pull over and get a flat tow -- as long as you are paying attention to your gauges. (On the track, guys sometimes forget to look at their gauges. And even if you do look at your gauges, DNFs ruin you're track day. So, for tracked cars, I think it's a must.)
Old 09-04-2014, 02:48 PM
bojali
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I have had my screens on ~4 years now and the "street" driving seems to have heck of a lot more potential hazards! I have not seen any reduction in cooling at high speeds,

For my track cars, I use Allstar radiator honeycomb screens (from summit racing) We use these on Formula cars and it has been great. (from oval dirt track guys) I was looking to add them on during the next 4 year service. if possible.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:24 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Pitts
I just wonder if there are any aerodynamic effects at high speeds (on the autobahn, etc.)? For both looks and this concern, I prefer to keep it open... Cheers
I have custom-made Rennline screens on my radiator openings, now. (Had to remove front bumper cap and send it to Rennline.) I took a rock to the center radiator about $4000 to $5000 ago.

I seriously doubt the Mach number is high enough for the slight aero effect to cause problems

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front grill mesh - good idea ?