Sponsored by:

My trip to the Stuttgart

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 03:55 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 503 Posts
Default My trip to the Stuttgart

Just spend a couple days at Stuttgart visiting the factory, museum, and the Weissach facility, what a trip of a life time.

There was a super nice 918 display 'showroom' at the delivery centre, which was where our tour started. A mock up of a 918 is there, painted liquid metal and the left side is a normal one while the right side is a Weissach pack version. A very nice visual display of the 2 configurations. Next to it behind some curtain sits a 991 painted in Acid Green with A LOT OF Acid Green trimming for the interior, very eye catching but a bit too much green for my taste

Next was the factory floor. For those of you that have seen the Russian youtube tour, that's pretty much it. Except during our visit there isn't a lot of workers, the engine line is off and apart from 4 completed engines, everything in progress was covered up with a black tarpaulin and no engine technicians are there. Every worker is very meticulous in their work and no one is rushing to finish.

We were told right now they are building 10 cars a week, a car takes approximately 40hrs to build start to finish, after that the car will spend another week downstairs for a thorough testing before it is released. They are aiming to ramp up the production to doing 4 cars a day, so 20 cars a week.

Production sequence number 35 is finished at the front of the line and number 45 is just getting started on the monocoque. This should mean Porsche have built 35 complete cars now, but I figured there was more than that, as on the Russian video sequence number 61 destined for Brazil was filmed on the line. I guess that lucky Brazilian got his order to jump the queue, and all the Porsche family cars has also been built. Unfortunately for me, my car is not part of the ones on the floor and they wouldn't tell me my sequence number But since my car is not yet on the line, I was offered some custumization options that was not available at the dealer ordering level, and I did take up the order to change a few things, primarily ordering the anti-glare package while keeping the acid green trim, as the regular ordering system will have the piece in all matte carbon without the trim. There are a few cars on the line that had the matte option and they are all just black without the trimming. Also changed was getting my keys painted acid green as Porsche doesn't order a paint code for it at the dealer level.

The most interesting part was that the engine, rear motor and transmission are hung from the carbon chassis with only 3 connections, 2 on either side of the cylinder heads and 1 at the transmission. This is quite different than almost any other cars where the engine and transmission sits on a mounting point.

Dr Walliser joined us for lunch at Christophorus and we had some very interesting conversation about the 918 and the food. Funniest part was trying to judge the size of the steak, on the menu they are listed as grams, but we Canadians are used to oz, so when the question was bought up on how big a 250g steak is, instead of approximating like the rest of us, he whipped out his iPhone and open a converter app to give us the precise answer.

When asked if there is anything else on the car he would like to change if there was more time, Dr Walliser said absolutely nothing, he is completely satisfied with the product. Also, on the topic of the front motor, and he would not go back to add a 2-speed transmission to utilize the front motor for the whole speed range. That little weight gain there cannot be justified, and the trade off of having a slower acceleration between 265km/hr to top speed is worth it as that part of the performance envelope is rarely utilized. The talk also involved a certain British manufacturer doing a copy cat hybrid car. His view pretty much echoed what I had written before about the hybrid system being an after thought. He went further to say who in their right mind would design a sports car with the heavy battery sitting on top of the fuel tank if it's a ground up design.

After lunch we headed to Weissach for a guided tour of the facility and some track time. Dr Walliser rejoin us there and he rides shot gun with us for our laps. The car we drove had the latest calibration and no journalists or outside had ever driven that firmware yet. For the record, I think those journalists that knocks the car for the electric steering and poor brake feel are just a bunch of whining sore losers. Maybe those early cars did feel a bit unpolished, those are prototypes after all. But on the one I drove, there is no 'step' on the brakes even when I really try to look for it.

As for the electric steering part, another bunch of baloney. The system is exactly the same as any other car, only difference is that instead of using hydraulics to boost the steering, electric motors are used. Those dinosaurs are just feeling so out of place in the new world that they HAD to try and **** on the new tech to justify their existence. Chris Harris was at least going at it with an open mind, but the 'other' British journalist has lost all creditability with me as my experience is quite opposite.

Onto the driving part, started out in hybrid mode, on electric only, after the first few corners, it seems very fast and I was talking about how I don't think I will ever use even 70% of the capability of the car on a track, Frank said right now I was only using 10% as I still haven't even gotten out of electric mode! How embarrassing. He also keep telling me to go faster and faster even when I 'think' I am close to the limit, I wasn't, not even remotely close. I never even see the Weissach track, a lot of the corners are semi-blind too so even with a lead car I am not even close to hitting the proper line and apexes, the limit of the car is so high that even when I overshoot and turned more just to get back to the line, it never once got out of shape.

Dr Walliser told me the test drivers hit 280km/hr at the end of the straight, I think I did 220-240. Not. Even. Close. Again.

We had the roof closed, yet the exhaust sound is just fantastic inside, don't think I heard anything better. Even compared with the Ferraris. This one is a very manly bark, muscular, powerful. Also confirmed that the blue flames in Top Gear is real A couple afterburners like a jet fighter.

Gearbox calibration is spot on, among all of us, no one touched the paddles once, all downshifts are perfectly timed for any corners entrance and exits.

Weather was clear, but a bit windy and feels a bit chilly, after our laps we were huddling around the car with our hands on top of the engine like it was a bonfire, too bad no one took a picture, it was funny.

Also an interesting note from Dr Walliser. The engine is broken in from the factory. I asked because of the hybrid nature of the car, the engine may not get the exercise like normal cars for the initial break in. The 918 will need around 500km break in for the other parts, like gearbox and stuff, but the engine is ready to go right from the start.
Attached Images           
Old 04-11-2014, 12:30 AM
heynow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, awesome write up, thanks for posting!
Old 04-11-2014, 04:31 AM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

excellent writeup and pics!
Old 04-11-2014, 08:58 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

what a trip! bet you're really stoked for the delivery of your car!!
Old 04-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

More like I really misses the car after driving it as I know I still need to wait 3 months to get my hands on mine.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:56 PM
porka
Banned

now thats what i call a guys trip!

i would love to visit the factory one day
Old 04-14-2014, 11:31 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,788 Likes on 4,777 Posts

Awesome. Epic report.

Thank you for sharing and taking the time.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:25 AM
goodlife
AutoX

Thank you for your report. I know the weissach facility very well, but haven't rode in a 918, not even shotgun.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:22 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goodlife
Thank you for your report. I know the weissach facility very well, but haven't rode in a 918, not even shotgun.

Then you will understand this, while we were standing in front of the warehouse where they unload trailers, we heard a wonderful thundering sound flying past the back straight, someone was hot lapping a 918.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:04 PM
goodlife
AutoX

I've spent a lot of time at the fence towards the curve watching the racers coming from the motorsports section upwards. Maybe you're one more time in Stuttgart. Would be nice to meet some other car enthusiasts! :-)
Old 04-16-2014, 06:30 AM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up mate , thanks for sharing .
Old 04-16-2014, 09:26 AM
boyko23
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

Does anyone know, when is the next 918 Ring attempt scheduled?
Old 04-16-2014, 11:21 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boyko23
Does anyone know, when is the next 918 Ring attempt scheduled?
May not happen. When I was there we talked about their Ring time. The 918 team are happy with holding the Ring record right now with the prototype car even when the shipping cars now are faster with the newest software.

They are convinced whatever time the P1 achieved was a combined best sector time, which they were saying is a 6:47. While McLaren didn't actually release a time, these guys seems quite credible as the Ring is their backyard. 6:47 is 'easily' achievable with the old prototype had they push it last time around as we were told.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:57 AM
CarMaven
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Hey Whoopsy?

Thanks for your various writing and shared experiences on the site.

Are you speaking about a 6:47 for the 918 Spyder, or the "sector time" estimate of the P1?

I'm assuming you meant the 918 with the 6:47 time (though I could be wrong), especially at the end of the second paragraph). It wasn't quite clear (cause of the beginning of the 2nd Paragraph). Lol

PS: I've heard from a few others usually in the know that Porsche would go back later this, or next month at the Ring.

I have no idea myself. I hope they do.

We'll see?

Thanks again
Old 04-16-2014, 01:56 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

The 918 team believed the P1 achieved a 6:47 best sector time, not a complete lap 6:47.

The 918 team also believe a 6:47 can be had with the prototype that did a 6:57 had they pushed the car last time around.

The shipping cars with the newest calibration software is faster than the prototype that did the 6:57.

Porsche is very happy to hold both the non-road car record and road car record at the Ring. Since no one else is faster atm, there really isn't a need to re-run, but 'never say never', 'we'll see' are the quotes back with a smile.

From talking to them, the 918 team is genuinely excited about the car, about how they have all proven the doubters wrong about the potential of the car, how they made the 'heavy car' so fast.

Quick Reply: My trip to the Stuttgart