Sponsored by:

960: The Next Supercar from Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 07:21 PM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
This is what I read: The 960 will be based off the Gallardo replacment/Audi R8 replacment platform. It will have a V8 and will be placed between the 911 and the 918. Porsche needs a Mid-engine V8 to compete against the Ferrari 458 and Mclaren.
+1000 There is a gap needed to be filled by this 960. Will it have an effect on the Turbo S, GT2/RS ??? Hmmm
Old 01-14-2014, 12:29 PM
CarMaven
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Porsche board Member, Bernard Maier on the potential 960/Fefe fighter, and other models.

DETROIT -- Porsche won't build an entry-level roadster or a small crossover, but is ready to make the call on other new models, said Bernhard Maier, board member for global sales and marketing.

One model under consideration is a sports car to fill the rarefied gap between the most-exclusive 911 and the limited-edition 918 Spyder.

"We have a lot of ideas and a lot of opportunities," Maier told Automotive News on Monday. "But whatever we do has to clearly fit with the brand."

That rules out two vehicles.

"We've decided not to build a roadster below the Boxster [and] we will not offer an SUV below the Macan because it will not be a perfect fit," he said.

"We found we would be irritating our current customers."

But several other ideas are currently under study.

"Clearly we will make decisions in the next couple of months for future cars," he said.

Among the other products presumably still in the mix is a small sedan. And the 960, known internally as FeFi for Ferrari Fighter, is definitely a contender.

"There is clearly some room between a 911 Turbo S or a 911 GT2 and a 918 Spyder," said Maier. "There are ideas in the basket."

You can reach Richard Johnson at rjohnson@crain.com.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...#ixzz2qOISfcAF
Follow us: @Automotive_News on Twitter | AutoNews on Facebook
Take it for what it's worth, and stay tuned (for more info and Porsche decisions in the future):
Old 01-16-2014, 04:18 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are still disputes at Porsche regarding the engine and chassis for the 960.
For the engine there are 2 engines READY , one is 8 cyl and turbocharged ( can't confirm configuration , just that it is not a panamera engine ) and the other is a slightly modified 918 engine . As for the chassis at this moment in time a modified 918 chassis is still favourite but that may not be the final choice .
There are still disagreements as to which mix of the above to use but what is confirmed is that the car will be 4wd and will NOT have the option of a manual gearbox .
One engineer said the dream spec was 918 engine and chassis with rwd to further differentiate it from the 918 .
Ironically some bean counters are in favour of this as it makes use of 918 parts thereby spreading costs and clawing back money used developing the 918 . Others want v8 and modified gaillardo / r8 chassis .
This is as of yesterday at weissach .
Old 01-16-2014, 05:29 PM
tripleblack
Racer

Thanks wtdoom. I'm atop the list at our local dealer for one.
"Dream spec" above = win & a definite order confirmation when available.
The other option not so much. I'd prefer a unique-to-Porsche 960.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:58 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by wtdoom
There are still disputes at Porsche regarding the engine and chassis for the 960. For the engine there are 2 engines READY , one is 8 cyl and turbocharged (can't confirm configuration , just that it is not a panamera engine) and the other is a slightly modified 918 engine . As for the chassis at this moment in time a modified 918 chassis is still favourite but that may not be the final choice. There are still disagreements as to which mix of the above to use but what is confirmed is that the car will be 4wd and will NOT have the option of a manual gearbox. One engineer said the dream spec was 918 engine and chassis with rwd to further differentiate it from the 918. Ironically some bean counters are in favour of this as it makes use of 918 parts thereby spreading costs and clawing back money used developing the 918 . Others want v8 and modified gaillardo / r8 chassis. This is as of yesterday at weissach.
Thanks for that report wtdoom.

a) I think we can expect the sport PDK on just about every 'performance' Porsche model from now on. I have reconciled myself with this trend and accept it.

b) Personally I would love to see that 4.6 liter v8 engine from the 918 on the 960. But my gut feeling is that, without the hybrid components of the former, that engine will not meet the stiff Cycle 6 & beyond European emissions that will be in place when the 960 debuts! That is why I think we will end up with a more 'efficient' quadruple-turbo engine for the 960.

c) I do think we will end up with the modified 918 chassis. That will be a big plus for us. That modified, next generation R8/Gallardo chassis was designed & developed by Audi...not Porsche! I can't see Porsche using an Audi-based chassis on its signature Ferrari Fighter mid-engine model, especially when every other sport chassis will be designed & developed by Porsche engineers for the entire VW Group, per the new 'mandate'. So I am counting on the modified 918 chassis to be selected for the 960!

d) I don't expect we will hear much more specific details or 'leaks' on the 960 until Porsche sales & marketing has signed up all 918 buyers for its '918 Spyder' model and all of these deposits are 'solid' and 'non-cancellable'. In general, 918 buyers are in a different 'league' - both financially and in the manner they will be using their cars. For example, few will be put at risk in competitive track events. But nevertheless, Porsche doesn't want to take any chances that some of their 918 prospective buyers might get cold feet if they come to believe (as might be the case) that the 960 will give you 90% of the 918 capabilities at a fraction of the price! And can you blame them for worrying? I don't. So I don't expect much further 'clarity' on the final 960 specs until each & every 918 is bought & sold!

All my dos centavos, for what it's worth.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Presently in Scottsdale, AZ

Last edited by Z356; 01-16-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:14 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

As usual, your dos centavos are always appreciated!!
Old 01-16-2014, 06:45 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z356
Thanks for that report wtdoom.

a) I think we can expect the sport PDK on just about every 'performance' Porsche model from now on. I have reconciled myself with this trend and accept it.

b) Personally I would love to see that 4.6 liter v8 engine from the 918 on the 960. But my gut feeling is that, without the hybrid components of the former, that engine will not meet the stiff Cycle 6 & beyond European emissions that will be in place when the 960 debuts! That is why I think we will end up with a more 'efficient' quadruple-turbo engine for the 960.

c) I do think we will end up with the modified 918 chassis. That will be a big plus for us. That modified, next generation R8/Gallardo chassis was designed & developed by Audi...not Porsche! I can't see Porsche using an Audi-based chassis on its signature Ferrari Fighter mid-engine model, especially when every other sport chassis will be designed & developed by Porsche engineers for the entire VW Group, per the new 'mandate'. So I am counting on the modified 918 chassis to be selected for the 960!

d) I don't expect we will hear much more specific details or 'leaks' on the 960 until Porsche sales & marketing has signed up all 918 buyers for its '918 Spyder' model and all of these deposits are 'solid' and 'non-cancellable'. In general, 918 buyers are in a different 'league' - both financially and in the manner they will be using their cars. For example, few will be put at risk in competitive track events. But nevertheless, Porsche doesn't want to take any chances that some of their 918 prospective buyers might get cold feet if they come to believe (as might be the case) that the 960 will give you 90% of the 918 capabilities at a fraction of the price! And can you blame them for worrying? I don't. So I don't expect much further 'clarity' on the final 960 specs until each & every 918 is bought & sold!

All my dos centavos, for what it's worth.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Presently in Scottsdale, AZ

Engine is a twin turbo not a quad apparently
Old 01-21-2014, 10:59 PM
Polesitter
Rennlist Member

A 960 that forgoes electrical/hybrid crap, has a carbon monocoque tub, a normally aspirated flat 8 with 575-625 HP, 3000 lb. weight, and, costs roughly $300,000 or so will sell like hot cakes, destroy the value of the 918, compromise the reign of the 911 and eat Ferraris for lunch. I would buy one in an instant. I seriously doubt Porsche will do it. They plod in painfully incremental and measured steps. They do not do revolutionary other than in once per decade super cars serving as technological tour de force demonstrations. Call me a skeptic.....but I will be first in line if I am wrong....which I hope I am.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:09 AM
themarsman
Racer

Originally Posted by Polesitter
A 960 that forgoes electrical/hybrid crap, has a carbon monocoque tub, a normally aspirated flat 8 with 575-625 HP, 3000 lb. weight, and, costs roughly $300,000 or so will sell like hot cakes, destroy the value of the 918, compromise the reign of the 911 and eat Ferraris for lunch. I would buy one in an instant. I seriously doubt Porsche will do it. They plod in painfully incremental and measured steps. They do not do revolutionary other than in once per decade super cars serving as technological tour de force demonstrations. Call me a skeptic.....but I will be first in line if I am wrong....which I hope I am.
Sounds like you are describing the CGT.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:16 AM
Polesitter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by themarsman

Sounds like you are describing the CGT.
I didn't think about that, but you are right. I would think this version may be a bit more user friendly, inevitably lose stick, etc. If only.

Suppose that's why I'm sniffing for a CGT.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:25 AM
tripleblack
Racer

^ A CGT would make a superb addition to the cars in your signature
Old 01-23-2014, 12:44 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 474 Likes on 317 Posts

960 will not be a supercar, more of a normal production car.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:56 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JustinS
960 will not be a supercar, more of a normal production car.
That is fine. But until '911Slow' gives the 960 a forum of its own, we can speculate about it in this 'Supercars' venue!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 01-23-2014, 01:42 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Added 960 to this forum - perhaps in time it will need its own ...

Best,
Old 01-23-2014, 01:59 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Added 960 to this forum - perhaps in time it will need its own ...

Best,
Thank you Bob (from the 'great white north'). We 960 'fanboys' can now feel more legitimate in this forum!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 960: The Next Supercar from Porsche?