Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CGT Prices

Old 12-04-2013, 09:48 PM
ky1e
Advanced

Received 102 Likes on 31 Posts
Default CGT Prices

Walker crash going to stall the recent CGT price appreciation? Thoughts?
Old 12-04-2013, 11:20 PM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 130 Posts

From what I've heard, prices have gone up since the tragic crash. In the last week I've been asked by several dealers if I would sell my car. Go figure?
Old 12-08-2013, 03:43 PM
ky1e
Advanced

Received 102 Likes on 31 Posts

CGT prices have been sky rocketing in the last 6 months. mid to low $300's are now high $300's. Wonder if I can still get in at the $330-$350k range for a <7000 mile silver exterior/black interior.

The crash and the 918 have given the CGT a little boast (a la James Dean Spider crash). Price appreciation especially surprising considering we are entering Winter. Great news for owners.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:34 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

prices will climb as result.

Everybody loves a dangerously fast supercar.
The car has the "taming the Lion" appeal from all the press.
Alot of high dollar egos out there that wanna be seen taming the Lion.

I still want one for what it represents and not because of what it can do.
I love the engine.

To be honest, the ring time is not even that impressive anymore on the car.
But it truely is a timeless Porsche.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:05 PM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Imagine if they did a ring time in a CGT with supersport rubber, and the new generation brakes, nothing else changes on the car.

15 seconds better?? I believe this would be possible.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:15 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ky1e
CGT prices have been sky rocketing in the last 6 months. mid to low $300's are now high $300's. Wonder if I can still get in at the $330-$350k range for a <7000 mile silver exterior/black interior.

The crash and the 918 have given the CGT a little boast (a la James Dean Spider crash). Price appreciation especially surprising considering we are entering Winter. Great news for owners.
While I do acknowledge that the buzz surrounding the 918 Spyder, and the mainstream media coverage of Paul Walker's death, will increase attention on the CGT, I don't actually think it'll affect the prices as much. And it's definitely not the reason for the skyrocketing list prices of the CGT.

How can I say this?

Well, over the past 9 months, there has been a severely unnatural run-up in supercar list prices (and, yes, sale prices, too). In Porsche land, I point to the 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0. In Ferrari land, I point to the 288 GTO, F40, F50, and Enzo.

Yes, the 991 GT3 is causing the RS 4.0 (and the RS 3.8) to rise in value a little bit, but the increase has been extremely unnatural. Same goes for the Enzo (and its predecessors), and LaFerrari. Enzo's used to trade hands at $1.1m to $1.4m. Now they're being listed at $2.8m. Of course, there is a difference between sale/trade prices, and list prices, but you aren't going to sell at $1.2m if you list at $2.8m. An F40 that sold at Amelia Island earlier this year for $715k is going across the block at Scottsdale in January 2014, and is expected to fetch over $1m. Last year they were selling in the $600k-$650k range.

Be careful out there. That's all I can say. (Those of you who rode the dot com bubble up, and down, will understand... as I have. And the real estate bubble, heh.)
Old 12-08-2013, 07:25 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgt04115
Imagine if they did a ring time in a CGT with supersport rubber, and the new generation brakes, nothing else changes on the car.

I cant see super sports producing 15 seconds and the brakes are pretty decent as is.

Would like to see the time on slicks, but then again same goes for every other car tested on the ring.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:12 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 177 Posts

I have thought the same thing since the new tires have come out. Would love to see what it'd do. I'm no Ring expert, but my guess is 15 seconds also.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:18 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
In Porsche land, I point to the 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0.
See 993 prices also - especially low mileage turbos and turbo s models.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:33 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
See 993 prices also - especially low mileage turbos and turbo s models.
Ah yes, indeed. Thanks! I knew I was forgetting something blatant. Heh.

I'm all for value appreciation of our beloved toys / investments, but not the unnatural kind. It never, ever, ends in a good way.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:31 AM
cetro
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4.0 prices are ridiculous. I was looking at one and it sold within a week for over $300K.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:25 AM
redleg321
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be careful out there. That's all I can say. (Those of you who rode the dot com bubble up, and down, will understand... as I have. And the real estate bubble, heh.)
Ah yes, indeed. Thanks! I knew I was forgetting something blatant. Heh.

I'm all for value appreciation of our beloved toys / investments, but not the unnatural kind. It never, ever, ends in a good way.
This.

Since the "recovery" from the 2008 crisis, a lot of people have made millions/billions.

The price bubble isn't just happening to the S&P/DJIA. It's happening to Porsches, Ferraris, WINE and even art.

I'd be very cautious looking at these cars as investments when many markets are at inflated or perhaps even all-time-highs.

In fact, just today I was reading this piece and it reminded me of this thread.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...#axzz2my3gz3nW

I think someone in another thread also commented that as the far east gains more and more of an upper middle class, the car market will shift to inflate prices reflecting their tastes.

So yes, "be careful out there".
Old 12-09-2013, 09:44 AM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by redleg321
This.

Since the "recovery" from the 2008 crisis, a lot of people have made millions/billions.

The price bubble isn't just happening to the S&P/DJIA. It's happening to Porsches, Ferraris, WINE and even art.

I'd be very cautious looking at these cars as investments when many markets are at inflated or perhaps even all-time-highs.

In fact, just today I was reading this piece and it reminded me of this thread.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...#axzz2my3gz3nW

I think someone in another thread also commented that as the far east gains more and more of an upper middle class, the car market will shift to inflate prices reflecting their tastes.

So yes, "be careful out there".
Your logic here would suggest a long term bull run of prices as demand across the globe increases for good cars. The supply of the old analogue cars is over. I cant tell exactly what will happen over the next 20 yrs with these cars. It will be interesting..........
Old 12-09-2013, 02:02 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your logic here would suggest a long term bull run of prices as demand across the globe increases for good cars. The supply of the old analogue cars is over. I cant tell exactly what will happen over the next 20 yrs with these cars. It will be interesting..........
Thats exactly my opnion "The supply of the old analogue cars is over"...lots of people talk about pre 2008 and after the crisis..but maybe this is not the reason..since roughly also 2008 analog cars are dead..with the exception of the GT3-GT2 997s. The new kids on the block, 458, MP 4-12 are not analog cars anymore and are loosing serious money...yes the C-GT as an analog car also lost some money..but since about 1-2 years prices have stabilised..maybe even a slight rise. Same goes for 4.0 ect..but here the rise is too sharp. Anyway, its seems that analog cars are at least not loosing money anymore

I just cant imagine that a C-GT, 4.0 etc will be one day at 100k..even if we are in the deepest recession..because most people didnt buy these things on loan..so no "force" to sell..the game for 458, 991s, MP4-12s..will be a totally different one.

I will keep the analog cars..if possible get some more..
Old 12-09-2013, 03:34 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
Thats exactly my opnion "The supply of the old analogue cars is over"...lots of people talk about pre 2008 and after the crisis..but maybe this is not the reason..since roughly also 2008 analog cars are dead..with the exception of the GT3-GT2 997s. The new kids on the block, 458, MP 4-12 are not analog cars anymore and are loosing serious money...yes the C-GT as an analog car also lost some money..but since about 1-2 years prices have stabilised..maybe even a slight rise. Same goes for 4.0 ect..but here the rise is too sharp. Anyway, its seems that analog cars are at least not loosing money anymore

I just cant imagine that a C-GT, 4.0 etc will be one day at 100k..even if we are in the deepest recession..because most people didnt buy these things on loan..so no "force" to sell..the game for 458, 991s, MP4-12s..will be a totally different one.

I will keep the analog cars..if possible get some more..
The analog theme is indeed a sure bet in the collector world. Always a lust for the pure and simple.
20 years from now, I would pass out if i walked into your collection

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CGT Prices