Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast and Furious Paul Walker killed in CGT

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 08:48 AM
Leo997TT
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This can happen to the best driver in the world guys... We are not hot ****....
Old 12-01-2013, 08:52 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Driver in car crash that killed Paul Walker drove in the Pirelli World Challenge

Can't help but wonder if it was a case of not taking it to the track:

Fast and the Furious actor Paul Walker was killed in a car crash on Saturday and, according to reports, the driver of the car was Roger Rodas, who has driven in the Pirelli World Challenge.

Tragic, but I have to say I've never cared for the "Fast and Furious" franchise.

-Mike

Not enough coffee this morning, duplicate topic. Moderators feel free to move or delete.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:00 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pole position
That ain't no 45 mph acccident..............
+1.

My thoughts go out to the families but that degree of damage (forget about what the fire did to the car) doesn't happen at 45 mph.

R.I.P.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:49 AM
964speed
Pro

Originally Posted by WanderingPurist
Hi,

I'm not going to debate the speed here - I wasn't there. Good friends who know high speeds and performance driving - one was a national champion in class and holds a few track records for non-pro - were there and were adament it was no more than 45mph.

I WILL state that conclusions about speed based on the pictures AFTER the car exploded and burned can be misguided, at best.

I've seen cars that looked as bad, or worse, that didn't hit anything but caught fire and burned to an empty charred shell. And I'm talking from seeing one of these examples IN PERSON, as it happened. And that's without exploding, as most eyewitnesses agreed happened in this incident. The way the CGT looks in internet pictures (unless you've seen something I haven't) does not conclude triple digit speeds.

But this debate is pointless (other than impugning the social responsibility of the deceased - non-performance-car-enthusiasts have tried to imply that somehow, they brought it on themselves with reckless socially irresponsible behaviour. I have such strong, conflicted feelings about this mindset that I will comment no more on the subject... )

My only thoughts now are with the deceased and their families and friends.

Condolences and RIP.
NO WAY 45mph - the laws of physics - mass and energy need to be applied here - I read the car was 1300 + feet away from the event - given the fact that is almost 1/4 mile and suspecting the driver was probably 'stepping on it' its is very hard to believe 45 mph impact - My GUESS is 80-100mph
Old 12-01-2013, 09:58 AM
964speed
Pro

Here is video after the crash! Very Sad!
Old 12-01-2013, 10:00 AM
TAMAD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WanderingPurist
Hi,

I'm not going to debate the speed here - I wasn't there. Good friends who know high speeds and performance driving - one was a national champion in class and holds a few track records for non-pro - were there and were adament it was no more than 45mph.

I WILL state that conclusions about speed based on the pictures AFTER the car exploded and burned can be misguided, at best.

I've seen cars that looked as bad, or worse, that didn't hit anything but caught fire and burned to an empty charred shell. And I'm talking from seeing one of these examples IN PERSON, as it happened. And that's without exploding, as most eyewitnesses agreed happened in this incident. The way the CGT looks in internet pictures (unless you've seen something I haven't) does not conclude triple digit speeds.

But this debate is pointless (other than impugning the social responsibility of the deceased - non-performance-car-enthusiasts have tried to imply that somehow, they brought it on themselves with reckless socially irresponsible behaviour. I have such strong, conflicted feelings about this mindset that I will comment no more on the subject... )

My only thoughts now are with the deceased and their families and friends.

Condolences and RIP.
You could be right? There is a video posted on Teamspeed.......the GT is INTACT and is on fire! seems like the two involved were trapped! .......also same thread exact spot where the GT ended up at, a GAS LINE/METER is evident. OMG talk about the wrong place at the wrong time......RIP to both and prayers for their families :0(
Old 12-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,021 Likes on 545 Posts

Damn.

RIP.

2 families forever changed.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:12 AM
llstuey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very sad
I did not know Paul personally but grew up just down the street from him
By all accounts a great guy - he used to drive lots of different cars around but never saw him do anything irresponsible
Also had a boat in the Santa Barbara harbor that he was always working on
Sounds like he was passionate about charity work which makes this all the more tragic...
Old 12-01-2013, 10:21 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

At first glance 45mph seems a joke, but it's hard to say from the pics how much damage there is to the car on the front end and we can't see the side where the impact was perhaps. But looking at the pictures a second time, I suppose it's possible IF the car did actually explode. Regardless, it's a horrible accident and most likely was caused by carelessness. All it takes is a momentary loss of concentration in any car, especially a 600+hp car with a rep for being a handful.

RIP both.

*edit*
CNN.com article states speed was a factor according to CHiPs and that the speed limit there is 45. Car hit a telephone pole evidently.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:26 AM
SBR
Intermediate

Wow, that is very sad. RIP Paul.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

No way it was 45MPH. The accident occurred 1300ft from the charity event. In that car you can get up over 100mph in that distance. Plus, if you watch the video on CNN they show a pic of the skid marks. They show a very fast spin almost like a 180 in place. Once you spin that fast at high speed, recovery is unlikely.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:05 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pazzo009
No way it was 45MPH. The accident occurred 1300ft from the charity event. In that car you can get up over 100mph in that distance. Plus, if you watch the video on CNN they show a pic of the skid marks. They show a very fast spin almost like a 180 in place. Once you spin that fast at high speed, recovery is unlikely.
and listening to the video the woman speaking to 911 states that the car is in half. A tree was embedded to the passenger seat. Not enough run off. I know I am lucky to be alive after the many stupid decisions I have made. Imagine many here are as well. Risk and reward..
Old 12-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Leo997TT
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
one less CGT in the world and most likely not the last to suffer this fate. RIP
Who cares about the car...
Old 12-01-2013, 11:15 AM
llstuey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ +1
Old 12-01-2013, 11:19 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by pole position
That ain't no 45 mph acccident..............
More like 145mph......

Quick Reply: Fast and Furious Paul Walker killed in CGT