Sponsored by:

CGT vs F-car experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 02:43 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default CGT vs F-car experience

Anyone here have any experience driving or living with a Carrera GT? How do you think the driving experience compares to a modern F car, such as a 360 CS?

I have an opportunity to pick one up (and I'm a P fan also). I did get to sit in one and it was a little disappointing. The materials and finishing were a little rough, I thought. My 360 CS is probably a tad cooler to sit in.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:16 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

It doesn't sound as if you drove it. Surely that is the only test??
Old 11-03-2004, 04:46 AM
Ray G
Pro

Originally Posted by graham_mitchell
It doesn't sound as if you drove it. Surely that is the only test??
Indeed, but it's hard to even get a ride in one, let alone drive it.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:15 AM
AmirGT2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ray,

Looks like we have the same tastes in cars. I picked mine up yesterday. And after a brief 75 mile drive I can tell you there is no comparison. The Carrera GT is in a totally different league than the 360CS, GT2, Gallardo et. al. Simply Incredible.
Attached Images   
Old 11-03-2004, 01:37 PM
Ray G
Pro

Originally Posted by AmirGT2
Ray,

Looks like we have the same tastes in cars. I picked mine up yesterday. And after a brief 75 mile drive I can tell you there is no comparison. The Carrera GT is in a totally different league than the 360CS, GT2, Gallardo et. al. Simply Incredible.
Wow, you are the guy to talk to! Congrats on the new car! I really like the interior color - is that the dark gray? It looks so much better than all the brown ones I've seen.

How do you like the sight-lines out of the driver seat? I was afraid the car would feel too big. Is the exhaust note loud enough? I really like that I can hear my CS exhaust clearly. Also, how do you compare the suspension stiffness to the CS?
Old 11-03-2004, 02:22 PM
AmirGT2
Instructor

Ray,

-It 's the Natural Gray interior. In reality it's really black.

- The sight line is pretty much what I expected. Close to the CS. The only difficult part of it is the location of the mirror on the driver's side door. It blocks your view of the ground when your making a left turn. Even though the CGT seems like a big car, the dimensions are almost identical to the 360CS. I think the wide door sills and fat fenders give you the impression that it's wider and bigger than it really is. Once on the road you realize it's not that big at all. Especially if you are already used to your CS.

I actually love the sound of the exhaust. It's not quite as loud as the CS ( especially since I've opened the Bypass Valves on mine) down low in the RPM range but above 5K it'll definitely get your attention. There is a lot of rattling noises coming from the drivetrain at idle and even a little off idle but one stump on the accelarator and that's all forgotten.

-The "Clutch issue" as has been thrown around, is no issue at all. Just about five minutes of getting use to if that.

- I haven't had a chance to drive the car all that much yet but from the 75 miles or so I drove yesterday, the ride seems to be on par with the 360CS. I'd actually say that the CS is probably a little bit stiffer in the race mode.

Overall the car feels more like the CS than my GT2. You might call it a CS on Steriods. It is truly mind numbing. Go for it and never look back!
Old 11-03-2004, 02:23 PM
alexpapas
Intermediate

I'm a certified Ferrari nut. I currently have 6 Ferraris, from a 1966 GT 2+2, all the way to two current models, a 575 and a 360 CS. Tucked in there is also an F40. My CGT, which I have had for four weeks, is head and shoulders above everything else I own, except for the F40.

The CGT is a sublime driver. It does everything right, the power delivery is linear and astounding and the suspension and handling is like nothing else I have ever driven - simply spectacular.
The F40 gets the nod over the CGT for it raw, visceral presence and the phenomenal rush you feel when the twin turbos kick in. The CS is a wonderful track car, but it is simply not in the same league as the CGT.
I am amazed that the CGT performs as it does, given that it has everything - airbags, leather interior, removeable roof, a GPS Nav system for Chrissakes! This is definitely a supercar in every sense of the word. It does everything well and compromises nothing. You will not regret owning this car.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:14 PM
tdf360
Pro

Originally Posted by AmirGT2
The Carrera GT is in a totally different league than the 360CS, GT2, Gallardo et. al.
I would certainly hope so!

Gary
Old 11-03-2004, 04:30 PM
Ray G
Pro

Amir and Alex, thanks so much for your feedback! That was exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I hope you plan to do a track day or two in your CGTs and let us know how it goes. Enjoy the ride!

Quick Reply: CGT vs F-car experience