Sponsored by:

Carrera GT at La Jolla Cove

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 05:52 PM
IndyTim
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Carrera GT at La Jolla Cove

I had an unexpected treat this evening. In addition to the beautiful scenery, the sunset, and the basking seals at that I saw at La Jolla Cove this evening, as I left I found a silver Carrera GT parked in one of the diagonal spaces across the road. (!) It had a dealer plate and a Santa Barbara Porsche plate holder.

I, of course, had no choice but to do a u-turn, and nonchalantly park nearby in hopes that the lucky driver would return and fire that puppy up. You see, my son is away at boarding school in Culver, Indiana, and he is a big Carrera GT fan. So my hopes were that, when the gentleman returned, I could quickly place a call to my son and let him hear the car as it drove off.

I won't confess how long I sat there (on behalf of my son, I remind you), but I managed to get in a nice phone conversation with my wife during the interval. In the meantime, approximately twenty people trickled by in twos and threes. It was a hoot to note that, WITHOUT EXCEPTION, every single male, upon noticing the car, immediately walked over to it for a closer look. Cars driving by slowed and stopped. A Blazer full of young men, tunes blaring, stopped and parked next to it. The young men jumped out, whipped out camera phones, and took picturers of each other in front of the Porsche.

There was a lull in the activity, and at that point the driver returned. I quickly ended the call with my wife, to phone my son. Murphy smiled upon me as the call took forever... and ever... to go through. Meanwhile, the GT fired up, backed up, and left. My call finally went through, and I got voicemail...

However, I don't think I'll forget the sound of a Carrera GT for a long time, even if I don't see one again. The sound was the wildest thing I've heard on a street car, ever. The closest thing I can think of is an F1 car. It started with a short bark, and then settled into an impatient and slightly uneven idle. After backing out, the driver left it in 1st gear as he eased south along the cove and then up the hill to the east. At probably 3500-4500 RPMs, the sound literally made the hair go up on my neck.

I've heard some wonderful machinery at full chat, but I can't think of anything that compares to the sound of that car as it headed out. So, to the lucky bastard that ends up with this set of wheels... you're gonna love it!

And my wife is still trying the figure out why the h*ll I had to sit, parked, in downtown La Jolla, waiting for some guy to start up a car and drive away. Do you think there's something wrong with me???
Old 09-08-2004, 06:16 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think I probably saw the same car in the Village today (GT Silver, Ascot or Terracota with dealer plates).
Old 09-08-2004, 10:06 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 102 Posts

The owner I believe is a dealer in Arizona who vacations in La Jolla.

Quick Reply: Carrera GT at La Jolla Cove