Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Park Place Dallas - Carrera GT Has Arrived!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 07:58 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Park Place Dallas - Carrera GT Has Arrived!

I came across Jeff Lee this past Thursday as he was moving a Cobalt Blue Cayenne S around close to work. Jeff is Park Place's Master Porsche Technician and we had a chance to chat. He had just come back from Carrera GT training in Atlanta and was very excited as Ken Schnitzer's car (he is the Park Place owner) was due in any time.

Well, I visited the dealership today to check on some other items and found out that Mr. Schnitzer's car arrived at DFW (they fly them over from Germany on a 747-300 Combi - a combination passenger-freighter aircraft. I suspect it was Lufthansa!) YESTERDAY!

I called Jeff and he was in and working on the car and invited me over to have a look. DAMN IT..... I didn't have my camera with me. Too bad, because I stopped by and oggled the car up close and personal for about 45 minutes.

It is DROP DEAD GORGEOUS!

This car (number 17) is Silver with the Terra Cota interior. I was simply dumbfounded! The car has, at best, a 3 inch front clearance and I have never seen so much carbon fiber in my life. Engine compartment was open and the pieces you can see are simply marvelous pieces of machining and casting. Interior is really very nice and the pedal set is an amazing piece of craftsmanship. Jeff drove the training car and said it is really something to drive. He also noted that they had just received their tools for the car - upwards of $50,000 worth of specialized tools!

The car is supposed to make it to the showroom floor sometime early next week (they are working on a couple of PDI items), so once it gets there, I'll get some pictures for posting.

All I can say is .......... WOW!!!!

Toby
Old 03-13-2004, 08:56 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 317 Likes on 140 Posts

At best three inch clearance??? I guess we can't buy one then.... we wouldn't be able to get it down our driveway!!!

Darn it Toby!!! As you know we were supposed to be in Dallas today. I guess I blew our chance to see it

JoAnne
Old 03-13-2004, 09:10 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

I swear.... if you tried to put your hand in a vertical position between the ground and the lower lip of the front spoiler, you could just barely get it in there. There are three ducts in the front.... one on each side and a HUGE intake in the middle. The side ducts are for brake cooling and the center intake is for the radiator. Apparently, the radiator lays in the front area much like the old Corvette radiators fit - raked at a pretty sharp angle. Jeff said that this was ONE BIG RADIATOR! There is a definitive air path under the car to diffuse air after passing through the radiator. The brake cooling air on either side is diffused through the side vents at the front of each door. When you open the engine compartment, you will see an air snorkel on either side. These are air intakes for the rear brakes! And Porsche has built a positive air seal where the snorkel mates to the engine cowling to insure that the air only enters through the cowl.

The magnesium wheels are absoultely beautiful! And the tires on the rear are 345/30/20's! When you look at the rear brake caliper, you will see what looks like a scraper at the 7 o'clock position on the rotor. I asked what it was, and damned if it's not the parking brake! It's the same assembly used on the Enzo, and the two pads for the parking brake cost more than the real brake pads! Really cool.

One thing I did not realize when looking at the interior pictures is that the console where the shifter is located does not got to the floor. There is open space below the console and that's where you insert your CD for the Online Pro. BTW, the radio in the C-GT is the Becker Online Pro. It's a radio/nav/cd/MP3/tri-band GSM phone unit that supports MOST. (My dream radio for my Cayenne!)

This is SUCH A COOL CAR!

TBP
Old 03-14-2004, 02:17 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wipes drew off mouth...
Old 03-15-2004, 04:11 AM
mspiegle
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the same assembly used on the Enzo, and the two pads for the parking brake cost more than the real brake pads! Really cool.
Damn! That better be a damn good parking brake.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:06 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally posted by mspiegle
Damn! That better be a damn good parking brake.
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2004, 10:20 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Overhead view of Parking Brake (at bottom of pic)
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2004, 10:24 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

It has 3 1/2" of clearance.

And, I think it's the most beautifully supercar on the market - by far. The car is just stunning in the flesh.

Toby, the car has 5 radiators that I counted. One (behind the passenger door) for the gearbox, one (behind the driver door) for something, two small ones on each side of the front bumper and a huge one in the bottom of the trunk up front.

FWIW, Porsche claims to have reduced unsprung weight by 50% with the brakes (rotors are only 10 lbs each!) and 25% with the magnesium wheels. A 75% reduction in unsprung weight is simply staggering. However, it's not nearly as staggering as the NINETY % reduction in rotational mass they've achieved in the drivetrain!
Old 03-15-2004, 11:51 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Talking PICTURES!!!! I've Got 157 Pictures!

Now if only I can figure out some place to get them hosted. It's about 126MB worth of pics. Collection is a combination of pictures from a training session in Atlanta, arrival/unloading of the car here in Dallas and my photo op session this afternoon. The car is headed to the showroom floor tomorrow morning!

Can anyone (JoAnne) say ROAD TRIP!
Old 03-16-2004, 01:19 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Samplign of Pictures!

Here is a sample of some of the pictures I have! You'll have to scroll down a bit... Sorry.

Enjoy!

I have about 145 more, so I need to finds a way to share some of these pictures. Any one have any space available?
Old 03-16-2004, 01:51 AM
Les Quam
Pro

Ben,
We all will be real interested when Porsche allows these cars to be road tested and timed again. They seem to have prevented any further testing after Autocar magazine came up with poor performance numbers. It may be all this technology is wasted on anyone other than a pro driver on a large track. This car is so close to an actual race car it may take a real race driver to get all of it's potential.

Further Ford through motor trend TV seems to be saying that their Ford GT will be 550 HP. Motor Trend TV reported that the production Ford GT at 550 HP did the quarter mile at 11.6 at 128 MPH. Which is identical to what Autocar got for the CGT for 300,000 American dollars less than the cost of a CGT.

My thoughts are that the CGT is all everyone says it is. But no matter how much I look at both sides of this issue. I believe the car is ridiculously over priced.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:41 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 317 Likes on 140 Posts

Les,
Anything that 'goes thru' Motor Trend Magazine or TV has to be taken with a grain of salt...... Just my 2 cents worth......

JoAnne

PS: I do agree that the car is way too expensive, new technology or not....
Old 03-16-2004, 02:16 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

maybe $440k isn't too expensive to some:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6058

and

Old 03-16-2004, 02:33 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Man, that's got to be alien technology!
Old 03-16-2004, 08:17 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ben in lj
maybe $440k isn't too expensive to some:

and

Both of these guys are way off in their arrival estimates. According to PCNA, when a "June Production" slot is given, it will start production in June, and can take 3 months to complete the car. Plus shipping. So according to PCNA's training, a june production car wouldn't arrive until September/October.

Our first one is a July build, and we're planning on seeing it in November/December.

Quick Reply: Park Place Dallas - Carrera GT Has Arrived!