Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the "market Value" of a carrera GT?

Old 01-22-2004, 08:54 PM
P-seller
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the "market Value" of a carrera GT?

Just wondering what you guys thought the market value of a CGT is?

Our deposit holder have been waiting basically since 2000 and were selling those cars at list price. I've got our first one sold to a guy in IL. Our third car, which we think may be here in Apr 05, is unspoken for.

My question is two-part. Do you think that CGT's will be worth/command a premium over list in the begining? Will later cars be worth more/less than early cars?

I think there are a "lot" of people who can afford this car, but since theyre not real "car people" they didnt know it was coming and expect to just call and order one up. Is it possible to get a CGT this late for list?

My dealer thinks the number on our last arriving CGT is 750,000. what do you guys think?

Peace
PS
Old 01-22-2004, 10:01 PM
Bentley
Banned

1. The finite number [1,500] of CGT's being built [with a lesser number of vehicles coming to the United States] during a three year production period is one important factor in establishing 'market value' i.e., supply.
2. The associated costs of ownership (such as the extreme cost of re-working the rear of the carbon/carbon [not metal] sub-chassis, due to a rear-end collision to the CGT, which will have a detrimental effect against modest insurance rates) as well as other costs beyond warranty, as well as the cost of the vehicle itself, will affect the other half of the equation i.e., demand.
3. Extraneous factors such as marketing [public perception] as well as potential customer liquidity will also play a roll. For example, if one were in Las Vegas, Nevada and won a large slot machine payout, he or she may consider purchasing such technology with the new disposable income.
The bottom line becomes simply the relationship to what buyers are willing to spend on the CGT to acquire its attributes [as the buyers perceive them to be].
One may opine that $750,000 is too much for this particular car. But, that being said, it would NOT be surprising if such amounts were paid for CGT's.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:34 PM
Sean M.
Instructor

I think that short term CGT values will rise. Once all 1500 are claimed, there inevitably will be other buyers who want to jump in (and will pay a premium to join the party).

However, once the initial hype passes, watch for prices to fall - big time.

Look at the 959. One can now purchase nice examples in the $200k range. That limited edition P-car has depreciated (even though it is now DOT US-legal), especially when accounting for inflation.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:09 PM
Bentley
Banned

It is indeed D.O.T. legal; but for a limited number of driving miles per year!
This has definitely affected its market value.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:24 PM
FSTPRSH
Pro

Values are likely to go up. Look at every true supercar that has been produced so far...even Porsche said the severely under-priced the 959, but it sold so quickly they couldn't raise it in time (per Excellence Was Expected). The Enzo's sale price almost doubled before the all 349 (I think that was the alloted number of production) units could be sold. Look through some of last years DuPont Registry catalogs. Dealer slots were WELL above the MSRP of ~$670,000, I saw one reservation requiring $1.2M for one. When the world sees what glory Porsche has produced, the owners will have plenty of offers to consider.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:46 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

Why would anyone pay over MSRP when out of the 1500, 500 remain unsold. Recently, a German exporter was selling a March delivery for $20,000 over MSRP.

Though a terrific car, Bentley accurate points out it has severe problems with the composition of the chassis. Also, the frame is plastic not alloy as is the Enzo. If the car is damaged from behind or wherever, the expense to repair will be enormous.

Additionally, the car initially will be purchased by drivers not well versed in a high performance automobile. Within 6 months of taking ownership, many will sell the car hoping to get what they put into it. It is no accident (pun) that Porsche only allowed high speed driving on an abandoned airfield and only by professional drivers. All the other driving tests were done under very restrictive conditions i.e.following a lead car and a car behind not allowing for any spirited driving.

It is a fabulous car but I doubt there are 1500 non professional drivers able to drive the car.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:20 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally posted by Nick
It is no accident (pun) that Porsche only allowed high speed driving on an abandoned airfield and only by professional drivers. All the other driving tests were done under very restrictive conditions i.e.following a lead car and a car behind not allowing for any spirited driving.
How many CGT's had been manufactured when the potential owners/press tours took place last summer? What would you expect Porsche to tell these several hundred people if the 3(?) cars had been crashed and there was nothing left for them to see?

It is a fabulous car but I doubt there are 1500 non professional drivers able to drive the car.
As a complete amateur I would/will have no problem driving around in a CGT.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:17 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

save it. nick is just doing his pre-requisite bashing of the car until he can justify buying one. after he finally breaks down and buys one upon realizing what a pile of junk the 360 spyder is on a relative basis, he will begin rightfully singing it's praises. see his year long cayenne rant - until he bought one

i fully expect him to make this same argument when the ford cobra comes out in 2006 w/ same 600+ hp V10 w/ 3200 ish curb weight. oh and how it will be dangerous as it will have no driver aids whatsoever.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:35 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Since Nick has arrived here to spread his mantra that the C-GT is undriveable by mere mortals I thought I'd quote Walter Rohrl from the April 2004 issue Excellence magazine: "What is truly surprising about the C-GT is that you can drive it just like any other Porsche: It's agile and so easy to control. But turn the traction control off and flatten the gas pedal and you're confronted with an alltogether different kind of driving task."
Old 01-28-2004, 03:41 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Funny, I knew it was Nick before I even read his name
Old 01-28-2004, 05:59 PM
Chris1
4th Gear

Originally posted by Carlos from Spain
Funny, I knew it was Nick before I even read his name
As did I .
Old 01-28-2004, 09:00 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

Steve, Walter got into a world of trouble when he was quoted "that the car scared him and required built in safety features". This was after a test drive in Australia. Now according to him all is wonderful with the car.

Ben why would I buy one? After you give me a ride in yours and scare the crap out of me, I may not get into another sport car again. BTW, just to set the record straight, the Cayenne TT is the car I had a problem with. I bought an S.

Whatever my feelings regarding the practicality of the CGT, based on what I have read and heard, it is the premier super sportcar. I would take it over the Enzo because it can go topless.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:47 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

"After you give me a ride in yours and scare the crap out of me, I may not get into another sport car again."

at least i'll have council with me should i need to post bail

btw, have you any of the updated "soccer mom" casulty stats re: the TT cayenne since it's production?
Old 01-30-2004, 02:00 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Steve, Walter got into a world of trouble when he was quoted "that the car scared him and required built in safety features". This was after a test drive in Australia. Now according to him all is wonderful with the car.
Nick: Didn't Porsche add TC to the C-GT fulfilling Walter's request? You keep referring to that original quote made during testing as if it applies to the state of the car now. Not that I'm ever going to drive one in either situation but I see the C-GT with TC as perfectly fine for the buyer that's mainly interested in driving to the Country Club and showing off his new toy while the buyer that might want to spend time on the track can turn off TC and see just how good of a driver they actually are. To some it might sound like sacrilige but I'd actually order PSM on my GT3 if it could be fully disabled when on the track. I like the idea of some extra insurance when driving on the street, especially here in FL where it tends to get real wet real quick, and I see the TC in the C-GT as providing a level of that.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:17 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally posted by Steve in FL
Nick: Didn't Porsche add TC to the C-GT fulfilling Walter's request?
Of course they did! Nick knows this, too.

Here's the quote to which Nick refers:
By Joshua Dowling
The Sydney Morning Herald
Friday November 15 2002

Rohrl, who has been testing the Carrera GT in prototype form for the past three years, said it is so powerful that it spins the rear wheels in each gear up to fifth in its six-ratio box.

Power and acceleration figures are yet to be announced but Rohrl gave a clue to the engine's awesome performance, saying that the 5.5-litre V10 produces 450Nm of torque from as little as 2000rpm.

Overseas reports claim that the engine has a maximum of 450kW and 600Nm and that the engine revs to 9000rpm.

Earlier this year, Rohrl said, the engineering team was about to cancel a day's testing at the famous Nurburgring circuit because of wet weather. But, Rohrl said, when he insisted the car had to be tested in slippery conditions, he discovered the car's daunting performance.

"I came back into the pits and I was white," Rohrl said. "I immediately said to the engineers that we need one button for the wet and one button for the dry", referring to the need for a traction control switch.

Originally, he said, there were no plans to fit electronic traction control to the Carrera GT but his insistence has forced Porsche to develop a system at late notice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whats the "market Value" of a carrera GT?