Carrera GT Is Becoming A Sales Success

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 08:42 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Les,

The Terra Cotta interior is, in fact, toward orange in color. Terra Cotta is a good name for it since it resembles the color of Terra Cotta floor tiles or flower pots. I like it, but it might be a bit too "light" for keeping reflections from the instrument pod from bugging me in bright sky conditions.

Natural Grey is actually quite close to black in the overall scheme of things. It can be told from dead black by a practiced eye, but for planning purposes it can be considered black.

Go to a dealer and check out the samples. He should have a very large sample of the leather colors as well as text-book sized paint samples. Some of them are inside an aluminum (Haliburton-Zero?) carry case that you might be allowed to take home for a day or two.

Forget about deviating stitching (unless the Sonderwunsch dept. is doing it for big bucks).

Here's your color scheme:
Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2004, 08:20 AM
Bentley
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One may use the just dispatched sales figures, for 2003, from Lamborghini to put the CGT sales in perspective: 415 Murcielagos and 890 Gallardos for that year.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:38 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Tough decisions to make, but certainly fun decisions. The car looks great in silver. For someone, black and red doesn't do a whole for me when it comes to this car. I mean it still looks great. The silver just seems more complimentary to the lines. I also like the blue part on the wheel center with the tera cotta interior.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:39 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Mike, I thought natural grey was very close to black until I saw the CGT picture's at the LA auto show. That CGT looked to be basalt black with light grey? What do you think?
Old 01-21-2004, 09:06 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Les Quam
... I saw the CGT picture's at the LA auto show. That CGT looked to be basalt black with light grey? What do you think?
Originally posted by W8MM
Go to a dealer and check out the samples.
I say (AGAIN): Get thee to a dealer!

See for yourself. The dealer will have a real sample of Natural Grey leather the size of a horse blanket! It's an optional interior treatment for lots of Porsche products. Pick it up and feel it already!

The picture I posted above has a Natural Grey interior! It isn't the least bit "light".

Flash pictures of very dark subjects are always iffy for grey scale reproduction because of the automatic exposure control in the camera. Dark subject reproduces too lightly.

Same with very light subjects. The GT Silver color looks like Seal Grey in many pictures I took of the Geneva show car for the same automatic-exposure-control reasons. Great expanses of light subject turn darker because of automatic under-exposure.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:15 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is Under Exposed GT Silver (not Seal Grey).

The interior is Ascot Brown, but since it's under exposed, it looks black.
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2004, 09:25 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is Basalt Black w/Natural Grey interior from the Brussels show.

(Correctly exposed)

Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2004, 01:50 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Mike, thanks for the clarification. With a price tag of 446,000 I want to be sure what i'm ordering. I have looked at the natural grey at the dealer and it looked almost black. When I saw the CGT pictures at the LA show I wondered if Porsche had developed another grey. I find it difficult not actually being able to see a finished production version to make a definitive judgement on this car, You seem to have no doubts however. Could you take the time to explain your thought process? It appears quite likely that we will be able to get similar performance from other cars for 300,000 dollars less, without the build quality and finish. And a build run of 1500 cars in my opinion will result in guaranted depreciation of a fearful sort.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:29 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

... I find it difficult not actually being able to see a finished production version to make a definitive judgement on this car, You seem to have no doubts however. Could you take the time to explain your thought process?
Simple. I like it and want one.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:14 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here a thread about the recent Autocar CGT review.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:00 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

"Simple. I like it and want one."

lol, well put!

btw, lotsa CGT articles here: german car fans.com
Old 01-21-2004, 10:32 PM
Les Quam
Pro

But Mike, don't you every once in a while hear a little voice in your head that tells you it's WAAAAAY overpriced?
Old 01-21-2004, 10:59 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

But Mike, don't you every once in a while hear a little voice in your head that tells you it's WAAAAAY overpriced?
Not compared to an Enzo!

Besides, it's the only "practical" supercar around.

And, it doesn't have a fixed roof!

What's not to like?
Old 01-21-2004, 11:09 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Autocar article, these guys "get it"!

CGT article

btw les, i don't ever have that "it's WAAAAAAAAY overpriced" voice in my head but i have from time to time felt like a clown for spending this much on a CAR.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:28 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Autocar article, these guys "get it"!

Originally posted by ben in lj

btw les, i don't ever have that "it's WAAAAAAAAY overpriced" voice in my head but i have from time to time felt like a clown for spending this much on a CAR.
C'mon, Ben.

You're not really a car nut until your car collection exceeds the price of your house

Quick Reply: Carrera GT Is Becoming A Sales Success