Notices
Porsche Memorabilia The place to post cherished keepsakes and mementos of our favorite marque

New 1/4 Scale 911 Model Engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 01:44 PM
ntravaglino
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 1/4 Scale 911 Model Engine

Has anyone here seen this yet or bought one? I just ordered one as a project for my kids and me to do:

https://www.amazon.com/Haynes-911-Porsche-Boxer-Engine/dp/B003FNJLOK

1/4 scale, plastic parts, but looks pretty well detailed nonetheless. Not a Marushin, but not as pricey, either.

Last edited by ntravaglino; 03-03-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:56 PM
sca037
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks pretty cool !
Old 03-17-2017, 01:54 PM
ntravaglino
Advanced

We started working on it and are about halfway finished. The quality is OK, the directions are clear, and there is nothing tricky other than lining up the valve train.

I wish the parts hadn't come on plastic trees, leaving little nubs on the pieces after breaking them off. We sanded them down to make it nicey-nice.

Nothing too complex that a 7-year old and a dexterous 4 year old can't help out with.

Overall impression: A fun project, but a bit expensive for a plastic model. If I wasn't interested in Porsche I'd opt for the cheaper Haynes generic V8 models instead.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:28 AM
gtntahg
Advanced

I bought this kit after seeing it mentioned here.

I have to agree that there are a few visible areas that will be marred by sprue connections. Most of these can be sanded away but others not so much. Overall, though, none detracted from the finished product, which turned out to be a real party piece!

Given the limitations of representing a real 911 motor in 1:4 scale, this model is a reasonably accurate "working" version of the real deal. Loved building the kit and can highly recommend it.

Quick Reply: New 1/4 Scale 911 Model Engine