GTS vs Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 08:07 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GTS vs Turbo

This question ugh..
All things being equal, which is more enjoyable to drive? I.e. Traffic, open road and spirited drives.
Looks?
Sound?
Speed?
Travelability? (Space for golf clubs, suitcases, camping trips and the like)
Costs?
Thanks, this will help me decide.
All opinions welcome
Old 03-26-2017, 09:11 AM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

We test drove both. The GTS has more sport options standard and the small difference in straight line performance was not noticeable on the street. We also liked the cosmetic stuff that comes standard on the GTS and it sounds better due to to the sport exhaust. It ended up being $8000 less to get a comparably equipped GTS over the Turbo.

The utility (space etc) is the same. It is a small SUV so golf clubs and some luggage is fine but you can easily fill up the back without trying hard

I made the opposite choice for my 911 so isn't always about money.

Last edited by WCH BOS; 03-27-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:53 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WCH BOS
We test drove both. The GTS has more sport options standard and the small difference in straight line performance was not noticeable on the street. We also liked the cosmetic stuff that comes standard on the GTS and it sounds better due to to the sport exhaust. It ended up being $8000 to get a comparably equipped GTS over the Turbo.

The utility (space etc) is the same. It is a small SUV so golf clubs and some luggage is fine but you can easily fill up the back without trying hard

I made the opposite choice for my 911 so isn't always about money.
This is my opinion too, I like the GTS sporty, and blacked out look. I dont really care about straight line performance.. I found it hard to make an apples/apples comparison on paper, because the clever way Porsche changes the Premium packages between all the iterations of the Macan.

She cant decide, the GTS that has everything, or we have a great deal on a not so well equipped turbo. More 12% off the turbo, which now makes it to the GTS Numbers
You paid more for the GTS than a similar turbo?
Old 03-26-2017, 12:06 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 534 Likes on 292 Posts

Turbo w/ Perf Pack gives you the handling improvements of the GTS along with more power with, of course, more cost but without the GTS look. Personally, I think the GTS is the sweet spot for perf, handling, looks, and cost.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:04 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Pokerhobo;14062290]Turbo w/ Perf Pack gives you the handling improvements of the GTS along with more power with, of course, more cost but without the GTS look. Personally, I think the GTS is the sweet spot for perf, handling, looks, and cost.[/QUOT

She's convinced, GTS It is.. We know of one supposedly on the boat i have Build sheet and says status V300.. DO any of you know what that means?
Old 03-26-2017, 03:53 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Means the car is built and awaiting transport to the port. Congrats on the GTS.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:54 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
Turbo w/ Perf Pack gives you the handling improvements of the GTS along with more power with, of course, more cost but without the GTS look. Personally, I think the GTS is the sweet spot for perf, handling, looks, and cost.
Agreed. And if you want more power, you can add a Cobb tune, which will basically bring your power to Turbo levels.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:42 PM
Astrix
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweeper
This question ugh..
All things being equal, which is more enjoyable to drive? I.e. Traffic, open road and spirited drives.
Looks?
Sound?
Speed?
Travelability? (Space for golf clubs, suitcases, camping trips and the like)
Costs?
Thanks, this will help me decide.
All opinions welcome
Late last year I had a Turbo delivered and my father had a GTS delivered.

Looks - Subjective, but the GTS comes with a lot of visual appeal already, which you might find yourself optioning on the Turbo.

Sound - PSE standard on the GTS, but the Turbo without PSE in sport mode sounds sweet, especially on throttle over run.

Speed - Turbo all day but for the GTS, they let a few extra ponies into the paddock over its base the S.

Travel-ability - Equal, BUT keep in mind the alcantara 8 ways you get in the GTS are not able to be equipped with ventilated seats, that might not be an issue for you, but out here in Australia.. they are a great addition to any long hauler in summer! You need to go to leather 14-18 ways which in my opinion kind of defeats the whole ethos of the GTS.

In dad's case, we left the 8 way seats in there and did not add ventilation, he doesn't drive anywhere near as much as me.

I also wanted the Turbo for its 3.6 (I've got a tow pack on it), it comes with a lot of what I'd of optioned in an S anyway!

Costs - The difference between the two builds was the Turbo came at about a 12% premium, both are low option cars, adding only about 8% to the base. It is easy to over capitalise on stupid options! Ongoing costs about even.

Overall, I would not change my decision, I am very happy with it. For us its car for most occasions and a long distance hauler with comfort and performance.

Handling is great and I've hit a lot twisty B roads, but it wasn't paramount given I have a 997 to track.

Your mileage may vary they say, in any case you can't go wrong!

Cheers
Old 03-26-2017, 09:48 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by signes
Means the car is built and awaiting transport to the port. Congrats on the GTS.
OVer the weekend it must have changed status again, I heard it was on the way here for a late april delivery, yey!! Thanks very much

Originally Posted by Need4S
Agreed. And if you want more power, you can add a Cobb tune, which will basically bring your power to Turbo levels.
Nothing I like better than a good tune:-)
Originally Posted by Astrix
Late last year I had a Turbo delivered and my father had a GTS delivered.

Looks - Subjective, but the GTS comes with a lot of visual appeal already, which you might find yourself optioning on the Turbo.

Yup I get it

Sound - PSE standard on the GTS, but the Turbo without PSE in sport mode sounds sweet, especially on throttle over run.
This is important to her, surprising to me. After hearing all my engines over the years.. I found it sounded good too.

Speed - Turbo all day but for the GTS, they let a few extra ponies into the paddock over its base the S.

Turbo is that much faster? Even without the performance Pkg, pushing HP to 425

Travel-ability - Equal, BUT keep in mind the alcantara 8 ways you get in the GTS are not able to be equipped with ventilated seats, that might not be an issue for you, but out here in Australia.. they are a great addition to any long hauler in summer! You need to go to leather 14-18 ways which in my opinion kind of defeats the whole ethos of the GTS.

She has to have ventilated seats, 18 Way.. Ha ha on the ethos.. I have to figure a way to mount GT2 seats Or just get a turbo for a more refined ride.

In dad's case, we left the 8 way seats in there and did not add ventilation, he doesn't drive anywhere near as much as me.

I'm with dad for sure who needs it..

I also wanted the Turbo for its 3.6 (I've got a tow pack on it), it comes with a lot of what I'd of optioned in an S anyway!

For my little lead foot, she'd love it. But not me, $$ on tickets..

Costs - The difference between the two builds was the Turbo came at about a 12% premium, both are low option cars, adding only about 8% to the base. It is easy to over capitalise on stupid options! Ongoing costs about even.

Overall, I would not change my decision, I am very happy with it. For us its car for most occasions and a long distance hauler with comfort and performance.

Handling is great and I've hit a lot twisty B roads, but it wasn't paramount given I have a 997 to track.

Your mileage may vary they say, in any case you can't go wrong!

Cheers
Thanks, Cheers to you
Old 03-27-2017, 05:25 AM
nemo06
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Reading your comments, I should sell my Turbo MY17 (until still has a few kilometers) and take a GTS?
Old 03-27-2017, 09:12 AM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

I should clarify. The GTS was $8000 less than the Turbo we would have ordered. I had spec'd out both to be fairly equivalent in terms of equipment and options.

Congrats on your choice!
Old 03-27-2017, 12:56 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WCH BOS
I should clarify. The GTS was $8000 less than the Turbo we would have ordered. I had spec'd out both to be fairly equivalent in terms of equipment and options.

Congrats on your choice!
THanks very much! I see you're in Boston, I'm near by for 5 months then FLA.

I am sure she's gonna want to do some rallies and such. SO, perhaps we will meet somewhere. After, tarpon season.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:58 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

It would be great to meet. Hopefully your wait will be short.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:33 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Hello,

need to fess up.. We were offered such a good deal on a turbo, we decided to go that way. The price took a high sticker turbo and made it GTS price.
It has 90% of what options we would want. And a couple Kool ones for a turbo, PSE, and air suspension are a two with sport chrono, launch control. She's gonna be a ticket getter(wife).

The problem is that my son takes initial delivery, on Saturday, and regurgitates it back to us once we return, in 3-4 months. This is a first! We bought our fl house site unseen, and it was twice as easy as this.. Fretting. I could fly up and get it but he will drop it at a site for Xpel install and bring it home, and put it to bed. He's a good boy, and I trust him completely..

Wanted the GTS but couldn't come together on it. So, it is available, arriving in 2 weeks..
Pm me for info
Old 03-28-2017, 05:52 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Great poker face.
There are so many, "I deserve it", options.
No replacement, for displacement.
What could go wrong...
Lucky kid.

Quick Reply: GTS vs Turbo