Homelink Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 09:06 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts
Angry Homelink Nightmare

Well, the homelink in my 2015 Macan decided to quit working on me again, locking me out of my garage in the process. And not for the first time, either. The dealer has already replaced the control panel inside the car and the homelink module, wherever that is located. The system will work for a few weeks or even a few months, it's random. Then one day when you press the button, all you get is a flashing LED on button #2. Tonight, the system worked when I left to get dinner and crapped out when I came home an hour or so later.

So, now those homelink buttons are dead to me. If there was an easy way to put some dummy switch plugs in there, I'd do that. I'll put a strip of sturdy tape over them and go back to using the little remote that came with the opener even though it's a pain to fish out every time I need to use it.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:31 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

There is probably a fault in the harness somewhere. If they can't fix it after 3 tries, push them to get you a new car under the lemon laws.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:03 AM
wd_40
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Homelink system on the Macan is terrible. It hasn't failed me but I have to be almost to the driveway before it will open the garage door. I've called Porsche and Homelink to no avail. The dealership mechanics tell me it is a big complaint among Macan owners.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by wd_40
The Homelink system on the Macan is terrible. It hasn't failed me but I have to be almost to the driveway before it will open the garage door. I've called Porsche and Homelink to no avail. The dealership mechanics tell me it is a big complaint among Macan owners.
I think that is a "feature" so that you don't inadvertently open your garage door when it's out of sight after you leave.

You can extend the range by attaching a long wire to your garage door antenna and running that wire to the front of the garage.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:08 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Doesn't surprise me. I programmed my Boxster and my Carrera once and never had to worry about it. Homelink is a pretty mature technology and the coding method used my opener isn't new or novel. That the Macan is having a problem tells me someone cut a corner somewhere they shouldn't have. (As much as I like this car, I'm under no illusions that Porsche cut a few corners -- just slide your hand down between the seat and the transmission tunnel to find one. "Full leather" or not.).
Old 02-19-2017, 09:16 AM
wd_40
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Need4S
I think that is a "feature" so that you don't inadvertently open your garage door when it's out of sight after you leave.

You can extend the range by attaching a long wire to your garage door antenna and running that wire to the front of the garage.
No sir-this is not a feature. It is a well documented complaint. My 911TT has significantly more range as well as my other non Porsche vehicle. Both other vehicles have a much farther range than the Macan.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:14 PM
JeffD
AutoX

I've never been able to get mine to work and I picked up my Macan in October. I've gotten it to "successfully" pair but it has never opened up my garage. I gave up and just have the opener on my sun visor and use it instead.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:01 PM
wd_40
7th Gear

Try calling the Homelink number and they will walk you through the process. Sounds as if you might be leaving out a step. I did not have any issue pairing my unit to the garage or gate, but the range is terrible. You certainly paid enough for the vehicle-they should help you with systems that are giving you issues.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:04 PM
JeffD
AutoX

True, maybe I'll give that a shot. Whenever I've tried to pair it I've been following the instructions here: http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...n/interior/310
Old 02-21-2017, 04:20 PM
wd_40
7th Gear

Now that I think about it, I called Homelink and was told they instructions in the manual are not quite correct. A rep walked me through it and it worked first time out.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:39 AM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Now that I think about it, I called Homelink and was told they instructions in the manual are not quite correct. A rep walked me through it and it worked first time out.
Could you please describe the instructions from the Homelink rep?
Old 03-18-2017, 09:52 PM
bertever
Rennlist Member

I don't believe its a pairing problem. I programmed my 2017 succesfully and it worked for a while, albeit from less than 10 feet away. Now I get the same symptom described above, #2 button lights up when #1 is pressed and door will not open. But LO, next time if I put the nose of the car practically touching the gate, it will work the next time. But never two times in a row. my 06 Boxster works every time from 15 - 20 feet away.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:30 PM
rosros
Track Day

Took me close to an hour going thru the whole sequence multiple times, than it suddenly worked. I did nothing different, but the Porsche sequence seemed odd for homelink---holding the remote in front of the grilll... All my other cars took on the first time without all of the ritual steps Porsche made me go through.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:51 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

This is a problem in a lot of new cars. I too had one car that the manual was wrong for pairing and a call to HomeLink in which they walked me through the correct procedure solved the problem. I made sure to add the missing step into the owner's manual for future reference.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:58 PM
pop.tremuloides
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Gotta agree on the above post for our "issues".....

It also depends on the Garage Door Opener Manufacturer.......

We have a Liftmaster and simply "uncurling" the little antenna did a world of difference for us.

Quick Reply: Homelink Nightmare