A GT4 owner's review of the Macan

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 05:47 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 911919
I'll answere the OP's first paragraph.

Because I am almost 6' 4" and I want a sporty DD that is easy to get in and out of.
A wagon doesn't fit that bill for you? I'm honestly just curious.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:49 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sven76
I am another GT4 owner who also has a Macan S (Diesel) as DD / company car. Love the Macan, though next time I might consider the Cayenne (baby requires a lot of space when travelling). While I love the torque of the engine, I will not get a diesel again after VW's diesel-gate, public opinion now very much against diesel and they might be banned from big cities here. Only other alternative would be a GLC43 AMG.
The good news/bad news with kids is that they grow and the HUGE rear facing seats give way to smaller forward facing seats and then eventually boosters.

My son is 6 years old so the Macan readily holds what we need 99% of the time but I vividly recall when he was 6 months and between strollers, pack and plays, diaper bags, I was wondering how every parent didn't drive a Dodge Sprinter van!
Old 01-29-2017, 12:59 PM
dennywags
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
A wagon doesn't fit that bill for you? I'm honestly just curious.
It's all about seat height from the ground. Not having to drop in or yank myself out makes a big difference on the lower back.

And Porsche doesn't make wagons.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:42 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 534 Likes on 292 Posts

Soon they will
Old 01-30-2017, 02:01 AM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
Soon they will
And I, for one, can not wait
Old 01-30-2017, 02:03 AM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

It's all about seat height from the ground. Not having to drop in or yank myself out makes a big difference on the lower back.

Fair enough... do you also own a Porsche sports car? If so, is that problematic for your spine?
Old 01-30-2017, 11:01 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I have been enjoying my Macan S for almost 30000kms now.
The S has plently of power and brakes for a little SUV.
Sounds nice at start up as well.

It is indeed easy to park and drive around a busy city.
Fit and finish have been good.
Fuel mileage is nothing awesome. But that comes with perfomance.

It has been good on snowy roads.
I find with TC off, i can donut the truck in parking lots and pull away in a controled drift like a RWD vehicle.
Reminds me of the Carrera 4 system. It is like a fwd assist.

PDK makes this vehicle. Way more fun to drive then the Cayenne.
In all it is a practical little SUV.

My wifey uses the vehicle primarily, and she prefers the Macan over a wagon for entry/exit height and for the higher view of the road in traffic.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:47 PM
cascade1
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the theme here is to define yourself by your car, here is mine:

As a 993 GTS3 Prepped owner I would have to say the Macan is hands down amazing for the value. We have the 4cyl turbo which I find great for city driving and short highway sprints. If your going the full on turbo or new Turbo S coming out, sure the 4 banger is terribly slow, but our choice was the S or the base. Its driven 100% of the time by my wife, and she has her fun toy anyways, so gas efficiency was key.

Onto the good stuff. The agility is what separates this car from its counterparts, even the Q5. The chassis is excellent, stiff enough to enjoy cornering but not too harsh to not soak up the road imperfections. The stock suspension could be a bit tighter, but again its not the GTS so I understand. Brakes are spot on like all newer gen porsche cars. The PDK just makes it that much more fun, and staring at the bonnet with its 911 like swoop is always a familiar happy sight.

Interior fit and finish is beyond excellent. I drove the Q5 and felt it was a glorified VW while the Macan just feels unique all around and properly Porsche. The 17 has the new infotainment which works fast and well, especially with apple car play being a huge plus (finally). The cabin is airy and enjoyable to just sit in when stationary.

The car's size is perfect. If it could tow more than 2400lbs, I would love to use it as a tow rig just because of the enjoyment driving, to tow something decently light if needed - not dedicated (to short of wheel base). I have to say it fits everywhere properly in the city and just is a winner in the styling department. Not even the new Cayenne seems to have the proper proportions the Macan has.

Lets put it this way; for 20% more in price, we LOVED the macan compared to only being OK with the Q5. I would pay 20% more to truly love something than to just be ok with it.

Quick Reply: A GT4 owner's review of the Macan