Macan 2014-Current

Trying to compare S vs. GTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 12:51 AM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 534 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by richardbf
I assume you have the brushed black aluminum like I do. Ever feel like dust gets stuck between the little lines? I feel like I am wiping it off once over other week.
The dust is a bit annoying, but easily wiped off. When clean, the black aluminum looks nice.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:42 AM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 130 Posts

Very nice. I regretted not getting CF when I was waiting but once it arrived I was very pleased.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:16 PM
mrlancer`
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New here to this forum and trying to decide between an S & GTS. I live in San Francisco and drive around the city a lot because I'm in real estate, and the roads here are terrible. I'm trying to figure out which is softer in normal mode so that I don't have to listen to my wife bitch about how hard the ride is. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information. The problem I'm having is that there is no Porsche dealership here so I can't compare on sf streets. Would love some input on this. I would get the GTS if it's better and vice versa if not. Appreciate any input from those who have driven both.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:45 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 534 Likes on 292 Posts

This topic has already been covered extensively at macanforum. The short version is that the air suspension (optional on S, standard on GTS) along with PASM (optional on S, standard on GTS) will make the biggest difference in ride comfort. The GTS is 10mm lower than S with PASM+Air which affects handling more than ride comfort. 19 inch wheels will be more comfortable than 20 inch (standard on GTS) than 21 inch.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:47 PM
mrlancer`
2nd Gear

Thanks. I've read a lot there but as I said, a lot of conflicting opinions.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:19 PM
G8tor
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Have a GTS on order to replace the wife's Lexus 460.
Not that many cars left in our future, so after the test drive, it was a no brainer for me to get the GTS.
She thinks the Lexus makes her look like an old woman, I refer to it as the flying couch.
She didn't even go on the test drive, I can't wait to see her expression when she drives it, but in her defense she has driven my 911.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:04 PM
Jones Digger
4th Gear

I have driven both extensively and by far prefer the S. They are exactly the same car execpt the GTS has some options that I would pay not to have.
-Alcantara (read velvet) interior on the GTS compared to the quality leather of the S.
-Blacked out trim and wheels on the GTS (OK of you are still in your 20's).
-25 more HP from the GTS (imperceptible in real world driving).
- and the worst issue with the GTS is the rougher riding suspension. In the S, I can put the PASM and Air suspension to its roughest setting if I need to, but it is far too rough for day to day use. I want it smoother not rougher. The GTS can't be softened up enough for day to day use and therefore is only really suitable for track day use.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:42 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Jones Digger
I have driven both extensively and by far prefer the S. They are exactly the same car execpt the GTS has some options that I would pay not to have.
-Alcantara (read velvet) interior on the GTS compared to the quality leather of the S.
- and the worst issue with the GTS is the rougher riding suspension. In the S, I can put the PASM and Air suspension to its roughest setting if I need to, but it is far too rough for day to day use. I want it smoother not rougher. The GTS can't be softened up enough for day to day use and therefore is only really suitable for track day use.
All valid, though subjective personal preferences. I'm not a fan of Alcantara, either, and like you, preferred leather.

I not only did not mind, but preferred the black trim, but avoided the black wheels by choosing the no-cost optional non-black RS Spyder wheels. (And I'm not in my 20s! )

As for the suspension, even my wife doesn't think the GTS suspension is too rough for daily use (and we have some really bad roads around here), and in fact, we leave it on its stiffest setting almost all the time! And despite the handling prowess of the GTS, I have no plans for taking the Macan on the track. We just enjoy the everyday balance of performance and comfort (but there is nothing wrong with your preference for a smoother ride).

You're probably right about the added power in moderate driving, but I look upon it as a bonus when driving in a more spirited fashion.

You definitely did the right thing by driving both extensively and getting what YOU prefer!
Old 01-23-2017, 11:48 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mrlancer`
New here to this forum and trying to decide between an S & GTS. I live in San Francisco and drive around the city a lot because I'm in real estate, and the roads here are terrible. I'm trying to figure out which is softer in normal mode so that I don't have to listen to my wife bitch about how hard the ride is. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information. The problem I'm having is that there is no Porsche dealership here so I can't compare on sf streets. Would love some input on this. I would get the GTS if it's better and vice versa if not. Appreciate any input from those who have driven both.
The drive down 25th Avenue between Golden Gate Park and California Street is about the worst patch in the city (and there are a lot of them). While other cars seem to slow to a crawl to avoid rattling out their occupants' teeth fillings, our GTS, even on the stiffest shock setting (which we use almost all the time), handles this as well as the numerous speed humps that suddenly sprung up all over the residential areas, with aplomb. I think this in part is due to the way Porsche calibrated the shock settings to have exceptional rebound control. Unlike cars that fly upwards on speed humps, the upward motion on the GTS is very well damped, such that they can be taken up to maybe 30+ mph without upsetting the chassis (try that with any other car!).
Old 01-31-2017, 07:23 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jones Digger
1.You can chose partial leather instead of alcantara at no cost. That's what I did but in retrospect I think I would have preferred the alcantara. Personal preference.
2. Sliver Spyders can be selected instead at no cost, that's what I did.
3.It's not just the HP but also the torque which allows it to be mapped out so it feels more like a NA engine than a turbo. But not a big difference in performance though. Personal preference.
4. No question the GTS suspension is greatly enhanced on many measures, it sits lower, the AS is stiffer, it has a stiffer anti roll bar. Personal preference, for me in the low position and in the stiffest setting the GTS is just firm enough for me, to get the feedback I require.

I think that's a good break down though. If you're looking for luxury and decent speed, get the S. If you're looking for luxury and power get the turbo. If you're looking for the ultimate handling iteration of the Macan and decent speed . Get the GTS. If you're looking for the ultimate handling and power get the PP.

Quick Reply: Trying to compare S vs. GTS