Macan 2014-Current

Macan GTS Configuration

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 06:26 PM
G8tor
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Macan GTS Configuration

Looking hard at adding a Macan GTS to the stable, primarily will be the wife's car. Don't expect to do any hauling, and other than maybe a few out of state trips it will spend its years in flat Florida.

Would appreciate any thoughts on this configuration
PH7DI7F3

Also does anyone have a feel for what the lead time would be if ordered? And along those same lines any discount from MSRP?

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:03 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I am also investigating a Macan GTS and was told that the delivery date would be March. But it really depends on how soon the allocation is for your dealer.

Your build will be very attractive. Nice interior choices. I see you opted to not get the sunroof. I assume this is because of Florida sun? If so, you may also want the thicker insulating glass. I also question the Sport Chrono Package. For me anyway, I don't plan to use launch control or drive around on the street revving the engine to redline for every shift. Heck, I don't even do that in my 991S, except on the track. I didn't feel the Macan needed it. But if you want to be a bit of a hooligan once in a while I suppose this is the way to do it!

Also, the 18 way seats, which I have in the 991 are great but relatively narrow and confining compared to the 14 way which have more padding and are more generous in size. For me, the 14 way offer more comfort in an SUV. Be sure you drive around in both before you make a final decision.

If the Macan were my "only" car I might consider doing the SC and 18 ways but since I have them in the 991 I passed.

I am still on the fence regarding Nav, also. The Nav in my 991 is so-so, sometimes difficult to use but acceptable. But we always seem to use our iPhone to double check the route and get more detail, faster. So I am considering just getting Connect and using Apple Car Play and Apple maps as my Nav. Those who have done this are very pleased with it. And it's much cheaper. No way do I want to get the $1700 Nav and THEN have to get the $1300 Connect Plus and THEN have to pay a monthly data fee just to get functionality that comes in most Hondas! If I don't for some reason get just Connect, then I will likely get standard Nav and call it a day like you did. I'm still researching.

Otherwise, my build is much like yours. I chose the PDLS mainly for the low speed cornering lights which we are used to and helps for night time maneuvering. I am also getting the SD mirrors, sun blinds, etc. I didn't get Surround View because I had to cap the budget as some point! I'm getting a hitch mostly because I occasionally carry a bike rack. Here is my build: PH6ZESR3

Good luck with the new GTS. Post pics!
Old 12-07-2016, 11:23 AM
G8tor
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback, especially on the seats as I have 14 ways in my 911.
May forgo the sport chrono, don't plan on tracking it or launch control for that matter. I would get the sunroof but the wife doesn't want it and it's her car, so that settled that! Planning on visiting one of the local dealers today.
Also probably going with the apple play.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:48 PM
G8tor
Instructor

I like your build.
Went to the first local dealer and he made some recommendations much along the lines you suggested, I have to give him credit as he had a pretty good feel for all the options and for the most part did not try to pick only pricy stuff.
Went with the RS Spyder Wheels with the silver, got rid of the sport chrono and went with the 14 way seats.
I'm also going to do what you have with the Porsche Connect, but he tried to push me to both the Nav and Porsche connect plus.
We are not doing the rear window shades, which I see you also have in your configuration. We have them now on our Lexus and never use them, plus the rear windows are really dark.
I added adaptive cruise control, never had it on another car, but this will be our long hauler and I thought that would be nice to have.
Was told the lead time was 90 days, might get at the end of February if we get an order in soon. Also looks like a 3-4% discount from MSRP, but he wouldn't commit to a final number yet.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:11 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice spec. I had to laugh about the sunroof delete, as our Macan GTS is also primarily my wife's car and she insisted we get the pano roof! As for 14 vs 18 way seats, be sure both of you try the 14s before you nix the 18s. The 18s have a greater range of adjustment, which may be important if you are like us and your wife differs a lot from you in height (I'm 6'0" and she's 5'2").
Old 12-08-2016, 06:48 PM
worldattorney
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by G8tor

I'm also going to do what you have with the Porsche Connect
If you're leasing then I agree completely, but if you are buying I think selling a non-nav GTS might be pretty difficult.

Great choice on the wheels...we have those on our '17 Macan S
Old 12-09-2016, 06:53 PM
G8tor
Instructor

Appreciate the feedback.
I've been doing the reconnaissance, my wife will be with me to try the seats before we finalize the order. I want her to see and ride in one before we buy so she has the chance to nix or add something.
As for the nav, I agree but in my case the wife holds on to her cars for 10 years, so I'm not too worried about resale. She's currently driving a 2007 460 LS Lexus (the flying couch as we call it), can't wait for her to make the change!
Old 12-09-2016, 07:07 PM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by G8tor
I like your build.
We are not doing the rear window shades, which I see you also have in your configuration. We have them now on our Lexus and never use them, plus the rear windows are really dark.

I added adaptive cruise control, never had it on another car, but this will be our long hauler and I thought that would be nice to have.
Our main reason for the rear sunblinds, which we've had in the last few cars we have had, is to keep the dog from messing up the rear windows! Silly, but effective!

I would be really interested in the ACC but trying to keep the budget in check. As if an $80k SUV makes any real sense anyway! LOL!
Old 12-28-2016, 05:50 PM
G8tor
Instructor

Just put a down payment, now the wait begins!
It's the wife's car so she changed the final configuration a bit, but overall lowered the price.
Configuration number PHRDJ738
Best buying experience I have ever had dealing with Porsche West Broward.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:43 AM
BradB
Drifting

I'm still configuring my GTS. I'm on version #123. I found out from when I ordered a Carrera in 2014 that you can still alter you configuration for quite some time until it locks in at the factory....and I did, several times! What torture. Oh well, the salesman was used to it. And no complaints since I was always checking more boxes.

I am struggling to keep the price down on my car. One thing I think I am selling myself on is the Surround View backup system. I've never tried it in person but it seems impressive on the YouTube videos I've seen. While we've managed to survive all theses years with just a rear camera on other cars this seems like a good safety item. Safe for protecting the car, that is, from that one fatal parking mistake. I'll admit that could come as easily from me as my wife!

I see you skipped the Surround View option and I'm wondering what your thought process was on this.

Congrats on the purchase. And good luck with the looooong wait!
Old 12-29-2016, 12:49 PM
G8tor
Instructor

I had it in my original configuration but the first dealer I visited talked me out of it. He said when it first comes up there are a bunch of small "windows" on the PCM screen then you pick the view you want, one of which is the birds eye view. He stated it was a bit confusing to use, the feedback he had from other customers was they didn't use it and since it was saving me money we deleted it from the build. Maybe I need to look at the utube clip, but my thought was with a rear view camera and parking sensors we should be able to back up without hitting something.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:40 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I haven't tried any Porsches with Surround View, but it was a feature on an Infiniti SUV rental I had. I found it pretty much useless. The times you need it most - dark, rainy - it couldn't "see" anything. In daylight it's not needed since you can look out your windows and mirrors. Rear camera can also be obscured under these conditions, but you can usually still see something, and without it, you are blind. Maybe it was the Infiniti implementation that was poor. Anyway, my conclusion: rear camera is useful; surround view, not so much.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:50 PM
BradB
Drifting

Great feedback, guys. I guess I need to get to the dealer and try it. And under different lighting conditions, too. I really don't "want" to spend $1100 so if I have any doubts after a test drive, (or test park!) then I will drop it.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:52 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the surround view on our Macan GTS. I had a panny loaner on a service visit before we ordered which allowed me to try it. It works well. The cameras are better in the Macan than my 911 and I found the views helpful. I'm in a city with lots of tight garages and spaces where it is most helpful. If you live in a part of the country where you rarely park in tight spots you could probably pass but in Boston it is helpful.

Quick Reply: Macan GTS Configuration