Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Almost 28mpg from 4cyl Macan

Old 11-28-2016, 02:53 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Almost 28mpg from 4cyl Macan

We took the Macan on our first long trip to upstate NY for Thanksgiving. It was a blast enjoying it on many of the nice curvy roads including route 17. I was also thrilled to see that it returned almost 28mpg (27.5). And that was calculated, not the trip computer (which said the same). Fun AND practical!!
Old 12-09-2016, 04:17 PM
ottobon100
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink Macan?

I looked at a Macan today. The turbo 4-cylinder. I currently own a 2015 VW Golf diesel that on a summer trip to Georgia got 54 mpg. And lots of torque! Since VW is buying it back from us some time in the future (or fixing it?) we are considering going back to an SUV. Had an '06 Benz ML350 previously (great vehicle) and replaced it with the Golf because we wanted something more fuel efficient (the ML would do 24-26 mpg on long trips) that didn't require premium gas. We have an '11 Benz C300 and an '08 Porsche Cayman that take enough premium for us. Price you pay for having a nice European car! I am going to keep looking. We're not in a huge rush to part with the VW. A Macan getting 28mpg on a trip AND running on premium just won't do it for us for a daily/long trip driver so we'll keep looking. Maybe we'll come back to a Macan. I was impressed with everything but the gas mileage. It is a Porsche! If they had the diesel version like everyone else in the world can get I would have driven off the lot with it! Or, maybe a Ford or Dodge diesel pickup. They aren't in any trouble for polluting the atmosphere ;-)

Last edited by ottobon100; 03-21-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:11 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by ottobon100
Since VW is buying it back from us some time in the future (or fixing it?) we are considering going back to an SUV. Had an '06 Benz ML350 previously (great vehicle) and replaced it with the Golf because we wanted something more fuel efficient (the ML would do 24-26 mpg on long trips) that didn't require premium gas.
You got 24-26 mpg on an 06 ML350???!!! That has to be a record. As you can see below, the EPA ratings are nowhere near that. I think your trip computer may have been broken.

I think the mileage on the Macan is great considering the type of vehicle it is. It will never beat a golf Diesel but for a modern CUV with the utility it offers and the performance it delivers I think it does very well.
Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2016, 07:13 PM
ottobon100
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jeff that was highway/freeway maybe 65mph average. Just cruising around town on city streets average was 15-16mpg. I owned the ML for over six years and some was me manually computing and most with the trip computer which I learned was pretty close. Hey the window sticker on my Golf said 42mpg highway and look how that turned out so the sticker on the window isn't always correct. The dealer said Porsche (VW) has no plans for a diesel in the U.S. Bummer for me! I want a third vehicle; preferably a German SUV, that gets great mileage and has great power and torque. Only a diesel is able to deliver both at a reasonable price. Even the Benz ML320 diesels only get high 20's highway. Drove an Audi A3 diesel wagon last year in Germany. Loved it too but can't get it here. Lastly, not putting down the Macan at all. Loved it today. Beautiful and fun to drive. I can see how anyone would enjoy theirs. Not as fun as my Cayman but fun. Love Porsches and German cars in general. All I was saying is that personally I want one that is more fuel efficient for my daily get around, throw golf clubs and luggage in the back and only we in the U.S. can't have it.

Last edited by ottobon100; 12-10-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:15 AM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm planning to order a base Macan. Waiting the fate of my 2012 Touareg TDI. Rumor is the 2009-12 TDI models will be bought back. I was waiting for the diesel Macan but that's not likely ever come here now. I did test drive the base Macan and its fine for me and I will get exactly how I want it.

I will surely miss my TDI. 96k and drives like new. Oh well.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:55 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by fincher
I'm planning to order a base Macan. Waiting the fate of my 2012 Touareg TDI. Rumor is the 2009-12 TDI models will be bought back. I was waiting for the diesel Macan but that's not likely ever come here now. I did test drive the base Macan and its fine for me and I will get exactly how I want it. I will surely miss my TDI. 96k and drives like new. Oh well.
125k on my 2010 Touareg TDI and also drives like new. Not sure what vehicle would replace it for amount I'd get on buyback, if I want as nice of a DD.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Almost 28mpg from 4cyl Macan