Notices
Macan 2014-Current

How much am I going to hate a Macan S?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 08:56 PM
SockToy
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts
Default How much am I going to hate a Macan S?

[this post edited as apparently omg I was grumpy when I first wrote it!]

Moved from the UK to the US in June. No car at the moment, and had a 997.2 C4S in London with everything but ceramics thrown at it. i loved that car.

Now Im in Jersey City and the roads are definitely poorly paved in manhattan and JC, some people aren't that great to nice cars when driving - a lot of dings around, and the possibility of long road trips with bikes and tents in the back without needing thule bars appeals. Also, my wife may like the Macan more than the 911 - she has a bad back and never enjoyed the stiffness of the car, nor the lowness of the seats.

So. I probably need some kind of more practical SUVmobile, and a Cayenne just looks like it'll be too large for me to enjoy in the City where space can be small and Im used to nimble easy to park ars... Im thinking a BMW x3, Q5, a Macan or something similar, but wondering if the Macan will be a delight, or just remind me a lot of the 911 without being anywhere near as much fun ... maybe I should just accept its a different type of vehicle and go for something absurd like a wrangler.

Anyone here made the transition from 911 to Macan and loved it? Or the other way? Thanks :P

Hmph. Sorry, think I just turned all grouchy ;p Humbug!

Last edited by SockToy; 10-22-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:55 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Moving your thread to the Macan forum.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:38 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

You can browse through this forum or hop over to macanforum.com for more opinions. I swapped my Boxster and my 911 for my Macan two years ago and I'm still happy. I just needed a tad more practicality often enough I couldn't ignore it anymore. Every now and then I still miss those cars, but it never rises to the level where I regret my switch.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:52 PM
Cherryblock
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 74 Posts

I don't think it will replace your desire for a 911 but it is a terrific car for what it is. A very fun and practical CUV that does what is asked and more.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:22 AM
evil panda
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

you'll definitely hate it a LOT less than an X3 or Q5, I can tell you that much
Old 10-24-2016, 01:30 PM
SockToy
Instructor

Yeah. Issue is, realistically, in the next few years I can probably add one high spec Porsche back to my life, but there is zero practical chance of me getting two ;p Ideally I think I'd have a Cayman and a Cayenne, but the realistic choice may be another 911/targa or a Macan.

Macan just seems so much more practical though..... and two cars in Jersey City seems insane.

Its a proper head vs heart thing.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:34 PM
RJ968
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 997.2 C4 and just bought a Macan S last month. Love it, great on road trips. certainly more practical in NYC/Jersey. I'm lucky I can keep the 911. The only problem I find is rear seat leg room when I'm carrying some friends..........RJ

Old 10-24-2016, 06:46 PM
SockToy
Instructor

Envious. Like the colours, and really, honestly, if you'd described them I wouldnt have thought I would ;p
Old 10-24-2016, 11:23 PM
RJ968
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Ipanema Blue Metallic & Palladium Metallic. I guess Palladium is called 'Sweet Date Gold' in some markets, that's what is on my touch up paint.

I should have worded my earlier response better, I was referring to the Macan rear leg room. I'm 6'2 and with the seat where I like it an average adult can sit there, but it's tight for them. I move my seat up a bit when someone is back there..........RJ
Old 10-24-2016, 11:39 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Its interesting you would post a photo of your car in front of a Texaco station. Somewhere, there are prints of a watercolor drawing of my brother and I playing with Texaco tanker toys from the late 60's and early 70s. My grandfather was a VP for Texaco responsible for marketing in North America. He created the idea of the gasoline credit card.

Seeing you park your car in front of a Texaco station brought back a lot of memories. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:13 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Will you hate the Macan? It depends on what you want it to do. If you want it to be like your C4S you will be continually disappointed. If you want something that can handle the roads you speak of, travel with modern creatures comforts, and still have some Porsche DNA coursing through it's blood, then the Macan is a superb choice. If you can have two cars like RJ968 then you will have the best of both worlds.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:17 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
Its interesting you would post a photo of your car in front of a Texaco station. Somewhere, there are prints of a watercolor drawing of my brother and I playing with Texaco tanker toys from the late 60's and early 70s. My grandfather was a VP for Texaco responsible for marketing in North America. He created the idea of the gasoline credit card.

Seeing you park your car in front of a Texaco station brought back a lot of memories. Thanks.
Me too! I remember getting a motorized Texaco tanker (ship) that my brother and I promptly lost at a local lake when it sailed away, took on water, and sank!
Old 10-27-2016, 03:21 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Need4S
Me too! I remember getting a motorized Texaco tanker (ship) that my brother and I promptly lost at a local lake when it sailed away, took on water, and sank!
I didn't get ships, but I got a variety of trucks. I remember my granddad driving me around Virginia and occasionally picking up an odd model hidden away in a Texaco station we found. I don't have any FireChief hats left, but I have 3 tanker trucks in my closet. I remember playing with similar trucks in a sandbox at my granddad's farm in Danville, VA.

Some good memories there. Not perfect, but good and I miss them.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:28 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The short answer is YES. What you need is a Macan GTS with all the performance goodies, like PTV, etc..

I own a 997.2 C4S and recently picked up a Macan GTS in Leipzig. I spent some time with it on the track and trust me, this is what you need if you miss your C4S. Read the reviews, the GTS is very differently set up than the S or Turbo. Its stiffer, more responsive. Its angry. I loved it too much. So much in fact, that when I got back from Europe, I picked up the 2.0T instead. Why? Because I have my C4S and I wanted it to still be special to get behind its wheel. I wanted a contrast. The Macan GTS is what you need.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:54 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Stan.

The GTS is a great sport utility.

I too spent an hour driving a GTS on the Leipzig track with one of the instructors there.
Shortly after, had a 911 4S for an hour on the same track.
It is fun to drive the Macan towards its limits on a track.
We then took our GTS through Europe for 3,000 km of "normal" driving.
Is the Macan GTS a 911?
NO!
But driving the GTS is about as much fun I have ever had driving anything which wasn't a pure sports car

Quick Reply: How much am I going to hate a Macan S?