Notices
Macan 2014-Current

How important is air suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 11:56 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default How important is air suspension?

I have noticed a lot of Macans don't have air suspension but they have PASM.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:14 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

When I was shopping, I drove cars with and without the air suspension. In my opinion, a minimum spec should include PASM. It gives you so much flexibility over how the car rides, particularly when you have to navigate over crappy roads. I'm not surprised you're seeing lots of examples with that option. Air suspension is just an icing on that cake. It's really nice, and I'm happy I checked that box, but I wouldn't consider it a requirement to enjoy a Macan.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:47 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

I really dig it. It allows you to really hunker the car down for spirited driving. I would get AS and PASM.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:08 AM
97c2s993
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Truth is, a lot of dealers optioned models without AS for their stock just to keep the price point in the sweet spot, meaning well under $70K. Instead they optioned them mainly with desirable creature comforts the masses would prefer. In other words, AS is mostly featured on custom ordered versions, proportionally speaking. I know - when I was looking through dealer stock in the NY area (many dealerships to choose from), few had stock Macan S's with AS. I was not looking to custom order mine and so had to choose from among models in stock, and so chose one with the standard suspension (regrettably, I guess, without either PTV or even PASM).
Old 09-24-2016, 08:17 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 146 Posts

Most important option I checked. Having had it on other vehicles, if I could only have one option it was the one I would get. Transforms the car.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:44 PM
evil panda
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by skl2
Most important option I checked. Having had it on other vehicles, if I could only have one option it was the one I would get. Transforms the car.
agree 100%. This is the most important option to check, along with the....Turbo upgrade 😬
Old 09-26-2016, 11:01 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

ya, this one is definitely important to have on the car if you can manage. Its one of the BEST tunings I've ever felt of the system as of yet as well.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:19 PM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're able to option with the air suspension, I recommend it. The difference in ride comfort between PASM without and PASM with AS while driving slower speeds in towns or cities (especially cities like Houston where I live) is dramatic. Being able to lower the car for spirited driving is fun and all, but for me it's the ride quality that really shows.

I've spent many driving hours in both a '15 Macan Turbo with PASM, no AS and our '17 Macan S with PASM and AS for my comparison.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:53 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Air suspension is not all that important,
but it was included on the GTS for free!
Attached Images  
Old 10-01-2016, 12:50 AM
solobagpiper
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Macan, of course, allows you to have your cake and eat it too - sports utility vehicle capabilities (seating, hauling, safety, comfort, legit off-road) plus high performance driving capabilities (power, acceleration, speed, handling, fun) and having air-suspension and PASM significantly enhances both capabilities and therefore enables you to realize the potential the vehicle has to offer. I take my Macan off-road to go fishing at remote lakes in the Sierra Nevada mountains and enjoy spirited drives along the windy roads on the way up and back and am very thankful I configured mine with air-suspension and PASM. Highly recommended.

PS - If you never take the vehicle off-road, but enjoy spirited driving I would still recommend air-suspension and PASM. I've been doing track days with a variety of sports cars for many years and believe AS and PASM significantly improve performance driving handling, safety and enjoyment.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:49 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I took delivery of my GTS this past Fri.
I have driven my girlfriends' Macan S without air suspension over the last year. I noticed that driving the GTS in Sport mode with the shocks in comfort mode gives quite an improved ride. In sport plus mode and shocks in plus mode the ride really stiffens for track use.
I had a Cayenne S, a Cayenne Turbo, Panamera S and Panamera Turbo all with air suspension in the past. Imho it is a must have on these cars.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:27 AM
JDailey
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

Agree that PASM is worth having. Does the Air Suspension increase unsprung weight? My parents had an Audi Allroad 4.2 Quattro with the adjustable air suspension (four settings) and the handling was very disappointing. Is this similar, or has Porsche figured it all out? Thanks!

-James
Seattle, WA
2006 BMW X3 3.0i manual, m-sport, etc.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:57 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

I consider it an improvement over PASM, and I think everyone else probably agrees with that. The question is how much of an improvement versus cost/complexity. At the press launch at Streets of Willow, they had cars with and without Air Suspension every report I saw concurred that it is an improvement.

As for how much it affects unsprung weight, I can't tell you but not so much that I really noticed it when I was test driving.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:11 PM
Chedman13
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For a daily driver, AS is excellent. It adds initial cost and also if something fails, the repair bill can be expensive.

AS adds more weight than springs - so that is something else to consider.

I ended up with springs/PASM and Techart Lowering Coils.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:34 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 129 Posts

I would have never ordered it but I have it on my Macan GTS standard. And I am now in LOVE! It super smooth and I can raise and lower it as needed. Plus you can do cool stuff like this for 80$ with the lowering links lol

Quick Reply: How important is air suspension?