Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Trailer hitch

Old 09-23-2016, 11:48 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Trailer hitch

If the Macan doesn't have a trailer hitch can one be made to fit and at what price? One dealer says $1500 - 2000.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:13 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

That's in line with what I've seen. Just the parts for the Porsche hitch are $1100. Far cheaper to order with a new Macan then adding it later. Or only search for one that has the hitch.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:25 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Checked with a major hitch company here in the city in which I live and their prices is 1/4th the cost of the dealer would charge. The only question I didn't know I needed to ask was about program the Macan for the hitch. Sounded like a lot of work with taking the bumper off and properly fitting around the exhaust. Si in the end they sounded very professional and knew that it was more than a simple bolt on.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:48 PM
mapman
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a Curts hitch from Amazon for a lot less than that. I think that it was in the $125 range. You can also try etrailer which has good prices. I installed it myself in about 2 hours. Could have done it faster but took my time. Install was pretty easy. I am just using it for a bike rack (Kuat hitch mount rack - about the best out there) so no need for the reprogram of the rear electronics.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:32 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by mapman
I got a Curts hitch from Amazon for a lot less than that. I think that it was in the $125 range. You can also try etrailer which has good prices. I installed it myself in about 2 hours. Could have done it faster but took my time. Install was pretty easy. I am just using it for a bike rack (Kuat hitch mount rack - about the best out there) so no need for the reprogram of the rear electronics.
What do you think of this statement:

You need to order the hitch from Audi Q5 or Macan plus a new valance part number 95B807834D1E0 so that it has a cutout for the new part. You can shop the two parts around but avoid shipping as the hitch is considerably heavier than the existing part you will remove. You will need to remove your bumper
Old 09-27-2016, 12:42 AM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bcgreen
What do you think of this statement:

You need to order the hitch from Audi Q5 or Macan plus a new valance part number 95B807834D1E0 so that it has a cutout for the new part. You can shop the two parts around but avoid shipping as the hitch is considerably heavier than the existing part you will remove. You will need to remove your bumper
That seems to be what is required to install the Porsche hitch, which is integrated into the rear end.

What do you all use your hitch for? The tow rating is so low that I am pretty much giving up on the hitch idea and just going with a roof rack.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:49 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Did you get a new valance and did you have to remove the bumper?
I noticed that one of the new hitches I looked into, didn't buy yet, is lighter than the OEM by 10 pounds.
Did you have to do any drilling or was it a direct bolt in?

Last edited by bcgreen; 09-27-2016 at 03:24 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 09-27-2016, 02:51 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by alexaqui
That seems to be what is required to install the Porsche hitch, which is integrated into the rear end.

What do you all use your hitch for? The tow rating is so low that I am pretty much giving up on the hitch idea and just going with a roof rack.
Not sure, but if I want to buy a piece of furniture or need a new water heater, or take a load of yard clippings to the dump. Not going to use it as a tow vehicle.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:29 PM
mapman
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a look at the instructions pdf in the lower left. There was a little drilling and a little cutting of the rear bumper valence but it was not big deal.

http://www.curtmfg.com/HitchLookup/f...he&model=Macan
Old 09-27-2016, 09:42 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bcgreen
Not sure, but if I want to buy a piece of furniture or need a new water heater, or take a load of yard clippings to the dump. Not going to use it as a tow vehicle.
That's pretty much what I would use it for, other than use it with my bike rack. Only issue is I do not have a utility trailer yet
Old 09-28-2016, 12:15 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Take a look at the instructions pdf in the lower left. There was a little drilling and a little cutting of the rear bumper valence but it was not big deal.

http://www.curtmfg.com/HitchLookup/f...he&model=Macan
Would you be able to provide a pic of it installed? I would like to see what the valance looked like after the cutting. I was thinking I can probably get a perfect cut and finish if I do it correctly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trailer hitch