Macan 2014-Current

BMW X5

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 09:48 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts
Default BMW X5

I've had my Macan for almost 2 years and recently spent a week and a half with a rental X5. I was so happy to get back to my Macan. The X5 has the strangest feeling steering I've experienced in recent memory. In non sport mode, it sort of wandered, and I found I was constantly correcting it to get it to go straight. In sport mode it was very "choppy". It's hard to describe. Given the choice, I'd take the Lincoln MKX that I had prior to my Macan over the X5. Coming back home and jumping into my Macan showed me what an amazing automobile it is. Of course, I definitely missed my 911 while I was away.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:26 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcrun
I've had my Macan for almost 2 years and recently spent a week and a half with a rental X5. I was so happy to get back to my Macan. The X5 has the strangest feeling steering I've experienced in recent memory. In non sport mode, it sort of wandered, and I found I was constantly correcting it to get it to go straight. In sport mode it was very "choppy". It's hard to describe. Given the choice, I'd take the Lincoln MKX that I had prior to my Macan over the X5. Coming back home and jumping into my Macan showed me what an amazing automobile it is. Of course, I definitely missed my 911 while I was away.
But, it was a rental. Maybe abused and the alignment was off. Still, even a good example isn't a Macan!
Old 08-25-2016, 11:17 AM
WJGreer
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 93 Posts

I owned an E53 X5 for a very long time and have driven about a dozen other X5s. They're great, and let's face it, they made the segment for performance SUVs viable.

There is something odd about the chassis geometry. The weight distribution relative the the length of the wheelbase relative to the height of the vehicle, or something. It's all very correct but comes off a little high-strung, even bouncy by some standards. It doesn't bother me but I do notice it. My wife actively disliked my X5 because of it.

Mine was a 2001 model and had a mechanical sport suspension. Recently BMW has moved to active suspension damping, just like Porsche and many others. I'm not sure I like the outcome they are getting. Just last week I turned in a leased 5 series that had the Dynamic Handling Package, more or less BMW's equivalent of PASM. I never liked it; the "Comfort" mode felt completely disconnected and the "Sport" mode made the ride turn kind of flinty without improving the handling much. To be fair, BMW seriously s**t the bed on chassis dynamics in general with the F10 5 series model - it is the best Lexus BMW ever built. But it sounds something like you describe in the X5 you drove.

I still like X5s and it seems like they are usually a good value relative to Cayennes. In particular, their 6 cylinder base model has a much better executed engine than the base Cayenne, and the ZF 8-speed transmission in any X5 is superior to the Tiptronic in the Cayenne, though not superior to the PDK in the Macan. But, X5s do indeed have a slightly quirky ride.

Last edited by WJGreer; 08-29-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:22 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

This sounds like the interaction between a number of features BMW has been putting into their cars. The first is active steering, a system that varies the steering ratio based on speed and other factors. It started with the 5-series back in the early 2000s and the consensus was to avoid that option or any package that contained it. Add to that eerieness BMW's version of steering correction/lane assist and you get a car that continuously fights your expectations.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:22 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

To be fair, BMW seriously s**t the bed on chassis dynamics in general with the F10 5 series model - it is the best Lexus BMW ever built.
This is the reason I'm no longer a BMW owner but got a Macan GTS instead. Yeah, apples to oranges, but...
Old 08-29-2016, 08:15 PM
WJGreer
Racer

Originally Posted by Need4S
This is the reason I'm no longer a BMW owner but got a Macan GTS instead. Yeah, apples to oranges, but...
Apples to oranges maybe, but I do think that a person can still assume a Porsche will have certain qualities regardless of the model.

On current BMWs, you have to study hard before you order and know exactly how to order them in order to get a car that feels like any BMW used to. Further, you'll almost never find a car equipped like that in a dealer's inventory.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:47 PM
zweebach
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Owning a current generation X5 with Active Steering, I completely agree with the original post. It's not a bad car, but it's not great either. It has the big engine and all the suspension/handling bells and whistles but I'm still not enthusiastic about it. I chalk some of the ride quality issues up to the run-flat tires, but the steering does still give an odd feeling. Had a Macan S loaner for a weekend a few months ago and I was impressed at what seemed to be a more confortable ride while being more nimble and communicative.

Trouble is, the wife wants to keep the X5 for its size, and is for some reason very committed to the purchase. I'm learning we have different philosophies. She says there's nothing "wrong" with it, but I would rather move on to something we that we would enjoy more.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:36 AM
dds007
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the current x5 and test drove the cayenne prior to it. Could not find the cayenne s' value over the x5.

That being said x5 isn't perfect by any means, the steering is very light in any mode you're in and it needs the mppk tune ($2k) to not feel like a slouch.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:24 AM
WJGreer
Racer

Originally Posted by dds007
I have the current x5 and test drove the cayenne prior to it. Could not find the cayenne s' value over the x5.

That being said x5 isn't perfect by any means, the steering is very light in any mode you're in and it needs the mppk tune ($2k) to not feel like a slouch.
No doubt, a similarly equipped Cayenne S is at least $10K more than an X5 5.0.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:18 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

I have learned that my wife likes her car and I like my car.
If I got her the car that I like, it would be quickly traded at a loss, for what she wants.
So, she likes the eX5. The size, the drive, the seating position, and that I wash it and keep it clean.
We are nearing the end of three rows and car pooling. Perhaps a Cayene or Macan in in her future.
Used and 18" wheels. So curbs don't hit her.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:11 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

I've had my Macan for almost 2 years and recently spent a week and a half with a rental X5...
...Given the choice, I'd take the Lincoln MKX that I had prior to my Macan over the X5. Coming back home and jumping into my Macan showed me what an amazing automobile it is. Of course, I definitely missed my 911 while I was away.
This is one of the reasons I LOVE rental cars. It is so GREAT to jump back in a Porsche and re-new one's appreciation for who and what this car company is.
I recently rented a 5335i Wagon in Europe and wasn't overly impressed either. It's not that it was bad but getting back in my Macan and Spyder was awesome.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:30 AM
Carsly
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have an E53 X5 4.6is which is a phenomenal machine. The original high performance SUV with good, old fashioned engineering, wide tires (275's -- in the front!) and factory 20 inch rims, a surprise back in 2002 when it was new. I'd still take this over the newer models, which is why I still love driving it. Still only 50K miles young!

Have driven a Macan S which is certainly a nice car, but lacks the roar and gurgling of a big V8 and feels much more cramped on the inside - probably due to high center console and beltline. The X5 has better all around visibility and certainly more punch off the line though the Macan catches up in the midrange once the turbos spool up. Rear seatroom also superior in the wider X5 with the large flat bench.

Newer X5's? Meh.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:56 AM
WJGreer
Racer

Originally Posted by Carsly
I have an E53 X5 4.6is which is a phenomenal machine. The original high performance SUV with good, old fashioned engineering, wide tires (275's -- in the front!) and factory 20 inch rims, a surprise back in 2002 when it was new. I'd still take this over the newer models, which is why I still love driving it

Newer X5's? Meh.
+1. I had an E53 as well, loved it to death and drove the wheels off of it.

I then had a V8 E60 5 series. Sport package, sport suspension, rear wheel-drive. It was a cruise missile; just a stunning performance sedan.

Then I had an F10 535. Although it was objectively faster and likely better-built than either of the others, it was a snooze. Totally a Lexus. I never felt like taking one more lap around the block in it, like I did with the E60.

I leased that last one, did not re-up my lease, and at the moment I am a free agent driving my extra car around.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:52 PM
Carsly
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by WJGreer
+1. I had an E53 as well, loved it to death and drove the wheels off of it.

I then had a V8 E60 5 series. Sport package, sport suspension, rear wheel-drive. It was a cruise missile; just a stunning performance sedan.

Then I had an F10 535. Although it was objectively faster and likely better-built than either of the others, it was a snooze. Totally a Lexus. I never felt like taking one more lap around the block in it, like I did with the E60.

I leased that last one, did not re-up my lease, and at the moment I am a free agent driving my extra car around.
:-)

Had an E60 550i as well, bought it CPO but sold it to get into the E53 X5 if you can believe it. The 550 was a barnstormer but just needed more room for the kids and their gear and in the Northeast 4WD >> RWD. Plus I think that generation of bimmers will be seen as the greatest generation ever - E46 M3, E39 M5 and yes, my heavy E53 X5 4.6is. If BMW were willing to put an M badge on an SUV of that era this car would have worn it proudly.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:47 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
I have learned that my wife likes her car and I like my car.
If I got her the car that I like, it would be quickly traded at a loss, for what she wants.
So, she likes the eX5. The size, the drive, the seating position, and that I wash it and keep it clean.
We are nearing the end of three rows and car pooling. Perhaps a Cayene or Macan in in her future.
Used and 18" wheels. So curbs don't hit her.
So true,

My wife loves her x5s! Third one now. Not 3rd wife. 3rd x5!
She is happy that all that matters.

Quick Reply: BMW X5