Macan 2014-Current

BMW X5

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 11:33 AM
WJGreer
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Carsly
:-) Had an E60 550i as well, bought it CPO but sold it to get into the E53 X5 if you can believe it. The 550 was a barnstormer but just needed more room for the kids and their gear and in the Northeast 4WD >> RWD.
The thing about the E53 4.6is was that BMW had to have known it was too high strung for a lot of people, and they put it out there anyway - a beautiful thing that they don't do much anymore. AWD was exactly what moved me out of my E60 (a 545, actually) and into the F10. The 545 still had a few years left in it and was long since paid-for. A really bad decision. Snow tires are great; I should have stuck.

Last edited by WJGreer; 09-04-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

I HATED my E7x xDrive50 M Sport SO badly that I desperately wanted to use it for heavy weapons practice, (LAWS, .50 BMG, RPG etc) or give it to Ryan O'Neil for his remake of "The Driver" ....

I really really wanted to slam it repeatedly into something large and concrete until the f*cking thing was unrecognizable as a car... then UPS it back to the rednecks that "built" it.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:17 PM
WJGreer
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I HATED my E7x xDrive50 M Sport SO badly that I desperately wanted to use it for heavy weapons practice, (LAWS, .50 BMG, RPG etc) or give it to Ryan O'Neil for his remake of "The Driver" ....

I really really wanted to slam it repeatedly into something large and concrete until the f*cking thing was unrecognizable as a car... then UPS it back to the rednecks that "built" it.
Interesting. Did you not like the color? Lots of bad dates in it? Did you keep getting tickets in it?

[it would help if you said something about why, along with your invective]
Old 09-05-2016, 02:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by WJGreer
Interesting. Did you not like the color? Lots of bad dates in it? Did you keep getting tickets in it?

[it would help if you said something about why, along with your invective]
**** transmission worthy of harbor tug, **** engine whiched cracked intake manifolds multiple times and threw misfire faults all the time, **** greensville
quality interior trim that fell off repeatedly, doors that were so heavy they would not stay open on anything that was not completely level....

in short a worthless piece of **** worthy of a Chevy, GM or other domestic brand badge...

happy now?
Old 09-05-2016, 08:51 PM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ Interesting as we have had two X5's over past 7 years and they have been great. A 2010 X5M was flawless in 4 years with absolutely no issues and a 5.0 lease that is done in a couple of months had the issue with battery charging that seems to be a design issue with BMW charging batteries only while coasting. Both engines are super torquey and move the truck extremely well. The 6 speed transmission in M was not ideal as it would leave the car in high rpm range in highway driving and unnecessary poor gas mileage. The new 8 speed is excellent and more responsive than the unit in similar year Cayenne GTS I test drove. The car has been an excellent family hauler, I am surprised by Larry's reaction but once in a while someone gets a lemon...
Old 09-05-2016, 11:15 PM
WJGreer
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
**** transmission worthy of harbor tug, **** engine whiched cracked intake manifolds multiple times and threw misfire faults all the time, **** greensville quality interior trim that fell off repeatedly, doors that were so heavy they would not stay open on anything that was not completely level.... in short a worthless piece of **** worthy of a Chevy, GM or other domestic brand badge... happy now?
Not really. It's not representative of the quality level BMW normally produces, and sounds kinda like internet hyperbole to me. I'm not sure what you mean by "engine whiched cracked intake manifolds multiple times." But that's none of my business. I am sorry you had a poor experience with your car.

Last edited by WJGreer; 09-06-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:04 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
So true,

My wife loves her x5s! Third one now. Not 3rd wife. 3rd x5!
She is happy that all that matters.
I try and stay out of "what my wife wants.." in a Hauler.
I am at the end of needing 3 rows. The eX5 has been OK, and an MDX before that, and an OOOO allroad before that. There is a Macan in my future. Maybe one more eX5 before college kids. Do have some issues with the pricing of Macan Vs Cayenne.

Your 3 X5's are still cheaper than a wife 2 or 3.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:59 PM
zweebach
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
I have learned that my wife likes her car and I like my car.
If I got her the car that I like, it would be quickly traded at a loss, for what she wants.
So, she likes the eX5. The size, the drive, the seating position, and that I wash it and keep it clean.
We are nearing the end of three rows and car pooling. Perhaps a Cayene or Macan in in her future.
Used and 18" wheels. So curbs don't hit her.
I couldn't agree more. I like the big wheel options on the X5 as well, but I stuck to the 19" wheels with tall sidewall tires for a reason.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:12 AM
dougpham
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned an E53 X5 for a very long time and have driven about a dozen other X5s. They're great, and let's face it, they made the segment for performance SUVs viable.

There is something odd about the chassis geometry. The weight distribution relative the the length of the wheelbase relative to the height of the vehicle, or something. It's all very correct but comes off a little high-strung, even bouncy by some standards. It doesn't bother me but I do notice it. My wife actively disliked my X5 because of it.

Mine was a 2001 model and had a mechanical sport suspension. Recently BMW has moved to active suspension damping, just like Porsche and many others. I'm not sure I like the outcome they are getting. Just last week I turned in a leased 5 series that had the Dynamic Handling Package, more or less BMW's equivalent of PASM. I never liked it; the "Comfort" mode felt completely disconnected and the "Sport" mode made the ride turn kind of flinty without improving the handling much. To be fair, BMW seriously s**t the bed on chassis dynamics in general with the F10 5 series model - it is the best Lexus BMW ever built. But it sounds something like you describe in the X5 you drove.

I still like X5s and it seems like they are usually a good value relative to Cayennes. In particular, their 6 cylinder base model has a much better executed engine than the base Cayenne, and the ZF 8-speed transmission in any X5 is superior to the Tiptronic in the Cayenne, though not superior to the PDK in the Macan. But, X5s do indeed have a slightly quirky ride.
I have BMW 2008 X5 4.8 sport package, i still drive the car. But we bought a new 2014 CayenneS with PP+ . Man, there is no comparison between Porsche and BMW. It is day and night. I love to drive my wife porsche. The car is solid and performance. it is quiet and smooth drive. BMW is good value for money, it does not retain value very well. I have so many problems with BMW after 10K miles in 2nd year of ownership. Porsche is solid. I would not buy BMW again. Another note, Porsche maintenance is super expensive. BMW maintenance is free for 50K first 4 years. Not for Porsche. Thank you to Forum for DIY, i am doing maintenance for my wife porsche and bring it to dealer for reset the Service message.

That is my opinion between Porsche and BMW.

Last edited by dougpham; 09-14-2016 at 01:18 AM. Reason: edit
Old 09-14-2016, 01:16 AM
dougpham
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned an E53 X5 for a very long time and have driven about a dozen other X5s. They're great, and let's face it, they made the segment for performance SUVs viable.

There is something odd about the chassis geometry. The weight distribution relative the the length of the wheelbase relative to the height of the vehicle, or something. It's all very correct but comes off a little high-strung, even bouncy by some standards. It doesn't bother me but I do notice it. My wife actively disliked my X5 because of it.

Mine was a 2001 model and had a mechanical sport suspension. Recently BMW has moved to active suspension damping, just like Porsche and many others. I'm not sure I like the outcome they are getting. Just last week I turned in a leased 5 series that had the Dynamic Handling Package, more or less BMW's equivalent of PASM. I never liked it; the "Comfort" mode felt completely disconnected and the "Sport" mode made the ride turn kind of flinty without improving the handling much. To be fair, BMW seriously s**t the bed on chassis dynamics in general with the F10 5 series model - it is the best Lexus BMW ever built. But it sounds something like you describe in the X5 you drove.

I still like X5s and it seems like they are usually a good value relative to Cayennes. In particular, their 6 cylinder base model has a much better executed engine than the base Cayenne, and the ZF 8-speed transmission in any X5 is superior to the Tiptronic in the Cayenne, though not superior to the PDK in the Macan. But, X5s do indeed have a slightly quirky ride.
I have BMW 2008 X5 4.8 sport package, i still drive the car. But we bought a new 2014 CayenneS with PP+ . Man, there is no comparison between Porsche and BMW. It is day and night. I love to drive my wife porsche. The car is solid and performance. it is quiet and smooth drive. BMW is good value for money, it does not retain value very well. I have so many problems with BMW after 10K miles in 2nd year of ownership. Porsche is solid. I would not buy BMW again. Another note, Porsche maintenance is super expensive. BMW maintenance is free for 50K first 4 years. Not for Porsche. Thank you to Forum for DIY, i am doing maintenance for my wife porsche and bring it to dealer for reset the Service message.

That is my opinion between Porsche and BMW.

Quick Reply: BMW X5