Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Porsche Macan Trailer Plug Harness Adapter, Need Help

Old 08-02-2016, 09:35 PM
911Porsche911
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche Macan Trailer Plug Harness Adapter, Need Help

Hi Rennlist community!! I recently purchased a 2015 Macan S and it had the factory installed tow hitch and wiring. The plug is a 7 prong plug. All the research I did said it would be easy to find a 7 to 4 adapter to convert to the typical 4 prong plug to be able to plug the trailer lights in to... but not so quick. The 7 prong plug installed from Porsche on the vehicle is not your typical perfect circle 7 prong, it has a cut our of it like a slice of pizza (see attached picture). I reached out to my local dealership and then Suncoast and they told me they know what I'm talking about and that they can not help me. They told me to go to a local trailer shop to get an adapter.... you can imagine how that went. They're use't to working on F-150's and Silverado's, not Porsche's. They had never seen a 7 plug like the one on the Macan.

So, my question, what has everyone done to be able to properly use trailer lights when towing with the Macan?

Thank you very much!!!
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2016, 11:11 AM
Trailers of the East Coast
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is the termination for a standard vehicle-side 7-blade RV plug. It's replaceable in case it gets corroded/damaged, and yours is missing.

You should use something like this:
https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Pollak/PK11893.html

- Matt
Old 08-10-2016, 05:42 PM
Green_Hornet
Racer

I just had a factory hitch and wiring harness installed by my Porsche dealer. My plug is the standard plug and the adapter to 4 pin fits right in.

In your photo it looks there is a part missing. Mine has the female plug with a spring loaded cover screwed into the 4 screw holes which appear in your photo.

It should be an easy fix. Good Luck
Old 08-10-2016, 07:01 PM
911Porsche911
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to thank you, Matt @ Trailers of the East Coast. I got it figured out.

I thought I'd keep this thread up so that maybe it'll make someone's life a little easier in the future.

Here are the two parts that were needed to convert the German 7 plug configuration to a more traditional 7 plug we all know and love here in the states then it was simple to get the 7 to 4 adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers,
Nick
Old 10-10-2016, 03:08 PM
Lightman
8th Gear

Back when I first got my Macan I ran into the same thing...frustrating when you realize your vehicle you thought was ready to tow isn't, but not a terrible fix. For what it's worth - your local Porsche dealer has this part in stock at around the same price as Amazon. They just don't install it on new vehicles which I really think they should when prepped in the US..
Old 01-21-2017, 10:07 AM
critchie
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

How do I access that female 7 prong plug shown in the photo in the first post? I took out the 4 screws that attach the plate to the housing. But the plate won't come off the 7 prong plug shown in the photo. How does it come off? Twist? A release button? Or, yank harder?
Old 02-02-2017, 05:25 PM
edwjmcgrath
6th Gear

There's a little tab you have to push in.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:54 PM
BB-PW 307
1st Gear

THANK YOU!! Looked far and wide on the Internet for the solution to this little challenge. Order placed with eTrailer.com that includes both the adaptor to the stock connector PLUS the 4-pin adaptor. Thanks again for keeping this thread alive!
Old 05-19-2020, 07:04 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

Great post, this was much cheaper than going through Porsche and the items above were available via Amazon Prime
Old 05-20-2020, 07:42 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 227 Posts

Here's a link from Suncoast Porsche:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/catego...NG2EXTSTO.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche Macan Trailer Plug Harness Adapter, Need Help