Notices
Macan 2014-Current

My 2016 Macan problems...anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 04:18 AM
MoD
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts
Default My 2016 Macan problems...anyone else?

Just wanted to reach out and see if anyone has had similar problems with their Macans. I recently (2 months ago) purchased a 2016 Macan S (new). I have owned several porsches from a 944, to 996 GT3, Gen 1 Cayenne Turbo, 2011 Cayenne S, 964 RSA, and soon to be a Cayman GTB1 car so I am a huge huge Porsche fanatic (family has owned several others). I was pretty excited to trade my Cayenne S in for the new Macan as it was a perfect daily driver for me. Fast forward about 3 weeks and 1800 miles into ownership (I drive a lot) and my first check engine light issue started. I was sitting in traffic and I got a check engine light that said "Engine control unit failure" "Reduce Power" and an "Ok to drive". I drove it to the shop thinking it was some silly ECU issue that they would just reflash. They thought the same thing, flashed the ECU and I went on my way. Five minutes later the same issue popped up and back I went to the dealer (who btw has been great to deal with throughout the process).

This time the car sat at the shop for roughly three weeks. They tried several repairs that never fixed the problem. I received a call early last week that said they had narrowed the problem to a slit in the pipe leading to the wastegate that was not allowing the car to hold boost. Simple enough I figured so I got the car back last Tuesday and only drove it a few miles without issue. On Wednesday morning, I get on the highway and while accelerating the same problem happened. Same check engine light, same reduce power issue and back to the shop it went. Still no idea what is causing the problem and as of today the car has been in the shop more than I have driven it. My dealer has been nothing but good to me throughout, and its naturally not their fault, but I am pretty bummed about the whole Macan experience thus far. It is an amazing car, handles great, looks great, quick enough and I love everything about it, but figured id see if anyone else on the forum has had similar issues.

If the car stays in the shop much longer ill be working with the dealer on trading me out of it and into a Macan GTS (it was released right after I bought mine). Hoping the GTS gives me less problems.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:30 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

No idea, but I'd start researching the lemon laws in your state, just in case you don't get things rectified to your satisfaction. Many allow for forced buyback after 30 days in the shop in the first year of ownership.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:14 PM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

starting right now write down each and every discussion you have and have had with the dealer, date, who you talked to and what was said.

I hope it isnt needed, but you dont want to wish you had done it latter
Old 12-02-2015, 12:54 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a bad connector or bad ecu. Intermittents are hard to find. Over the years as a EE I have solved many problems that involve intermittent issues. Most auto techs are not as good at finding these things because you have to imagine how it works and how you would have written the code or designed the circuit. Good luck and let us know how you come out.
I'm sure they will fix it or get you a new car. It may take some time.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:13 AM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Sorry to hear about your issues. Mine has been great except for the known front dash rattle issues which were resolved by dealer.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: My 2016 Macan problems...anyone else?