Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Buying a launch vehicle/demo Macan? Good, bad or neither?

Old 11-05-2015, 01:51 AM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a launch vehicle/demo Macan? Good, bad or neither?

I'm looking at a used Macan Turbo at a dealership across the country. I asked where it had come from and they said it had been a corporate demo car. Codes show it was a launch vehicle and they suggested that a PCNA employee such as a VP or other executive would have had it since launch.

It's got about 9k miles on it and appears it would have had an MSRP of 90k. It's for sale now as a CPO for around 75.

What do you guys think, OK deal?

Additional Equipment
1BK Air Suspension incl. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
1D6 Trailer hitch without tow ball
1Y1 Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus)
2W6 Fuel Cap with Aluminum Look Finish
3FU Panoramic Roof System
3J7 Porsche Crest on Headrests (front)
4A4 Seat Heating (Front and Rear)
4D3 Seat Ventilation (Front)
4F6 Porsche Entry & Drive
5MH Carbon Fiber Interior Package
7G9 Porsche Car Connect
7X8 ParkAssist (Front and Rear) with Reversing Camera
7Y1 Lane Change Assist (LCA)
8G1 Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)
8T3 Adaptive Cruise Control incl. Porsche Active Safe (PAS)
9JB Smoking Package
A1 Black
CY3 20" RS Spyder Design Wheels
G1D Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
PA2 Automatically Dimming Mirrors
PP8 Comfort Lighting Package
Q2J Power Seats (14*way) incl. Memory Package
QR5 Sport Chrono Package
S0C Launch vehicle
UN1 Online Services
VF Leather Package in Black
Old 11-05-2015, 09:31 AM
mapman
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have bought these types of cars in the past (BMW 135, X3) but would be very cautious on a Macan Turbo. The ones that I have done were not really performance oriented vehicles and would not be expected to have been too abused. Just thinking about a new Macan Turbo as a demo, well someone undoubtedly wanted to see how fast it really was and probably well before the break in was done.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:40 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

I'd have them put it on a lift to inspect the undercarriage. The car cannot be over-revved. With a CPO, you're covered. It's loaded with just about everything one could possibly want. If you like it and want it, IMHO, buy it.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:09 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

I bought one a demo couple months back - a Macan S with 3000 Kms on it - and it's been excellent. No problems at all. Due your due indigence and you should be fine. From your post it looks to be a great build.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:45 PM
Powereng
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It's under warrenty, looks like a great build.. See if you can have them tell you if launch control was ever used, this is logged in the computer history. As track rat said, you can't over rev these and some good spirited driving is good for a breakin.

I say go for it if you like it.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:08 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One item to keep in mind...the warranty period starts running when the car is put into service, so a year or so of the original warranty has already lapsed. I don't believe dealers can CPO these cars the first time they are sold.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:24 AM
Quest911
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a CPO '11 Cayenne that was in service in October 2010. So it was one of the first with all the changes. It wasn't sold as a launch vehicle or demo but it had 12,000 klms on it. It used lots of oil!!! 1-2 liters a month. I bought a '13 911 brand new. I did the break in period. Was flawless! Never used any oil between oil changes. Ordered new Macan S, rec'd it last December. I did the break in period. Has been flawless, never needs oil have 24,000 klms on it been one of the best vehicles I have ever owned.

Break in counts on any manufacturers vehicles and IMO Porsche especially. I would want to see the service records of it and see if there is any "add oil" visits?
Old 11-06-2015, 05:23 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quest911
I bought a CPO '11 Cayenne that was in service in October 2010. So it was one of the first with all the changes. It wasn't sold as a launch vehicle or demo but it had 12,000 klms on it. It used lots of oil!!! 1-2 liters a month. I bought a '13 911 brand new. I did the break in period. Was flawless! Never used any oil between oil changes. Ordered new Macan S, rec'd it last December. I did the break in period. Has been flawless, never needs oil have 24,000 klms on it been one of the best vehicles I have ever owned.

Break in counts on any manufacturers vehicles and IMO Porsche especially. I would want to see the service records of it and see if there is any "add oil" visits?
How did you break your cars in? I don't follow the Mfg recommendations.
I run them hard full throttle and redline right from the start. I don't keep them at any RPM for any length of time but full throttle often. 996 bought new drove for 13 years used a quart in 5000 miles. Present cars 2012 bought new 997 no oil usage I can detect. 2015 Cayenne S no usage either.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:53 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

I'm with Steve on this one.

For our Cayenne, bought new, picked up in Leipzig, drove it straight to the Autobahn. Took it up over 200 km/h several times while in Germany.

The only stipulation I make to drive it hard is to ensure it has reached operating temperature before I open it up.

We have about 180,000 km on our 2012 Cayenne, never used any extra oil, has been flawless except for one PCM issue covered under warranty.
Old 11-08-2015, 03:49 PM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

Thanks RESP from this thread it's a high hard to tell what's right but I'm leaning to not worrying about it.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:36 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Chi
Originally Posted by Super_K
I'm looking at a used Macan Turbo at a dealership across the country. I asked where it had come from and they said it had been a corporate demo car. Codes show it was a launch vehicle and they suggested that a PCNA employee such as a VP or other executive would have had it since launch.

It's got about 9k miles on it and appears it would have had an MSRP of 90k. It's for sale now as a CPO for around 75.

What do you guys think, OK deal?

Additional Equipment
1BK Air Suspension incl. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
1D6 Trailer hitch without tow ball
1Y1 Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus)
2W6 Fuel Cap with Aluminum Look Finish
3FU Panoramic Roof System
3J7 Porsche Crest on Headrests (front)
4A4 Seat Heating (Front and Rear)
4D3 Seat Ventilation (Front)
4F6 Porsche Entry & Drive
5MH Carbon Fiber Interior Package
7G9 Porsche Car Connect
7X8 ParkAssist (Front and Rear) with Reversing Camera
7Y1 Lane Change Assist (LCA)
8G1 Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)
8T3 Adaptive Cruise Control incl. Porsche Active Safe (PAS)
9JB Smoking Package
A1 Black
CY3 20" RS Spyder Design Wheels
G1D Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
PA2 Automatically Dimming Mirrors
PP8 Comfort Lighting Package
Q2J Power Seats (14*way) incl. Memory Package
QR5 Sport Chrono Package
S0C Launch vehicle
UN1 Online Services
VF Leather Package in Black
This looks like a super car at a super deal to me. I already have a deal on one with 138 miles, no CPO, MSRP Of $91.9 for $78.9 that I have a $2500 deposit on or I would be all over urs. That is a super list of options. Don't like the Black paint but would put a wrap on it. Offer them a couple thou less and see if u can grab it. U won't regret it. Especially with that CPO warranty! Go for it immediately or I might. PM me the dealers name if u r not going to buy it...
Old 11-13-2015, 01:38 PM
Preeble
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased a Panamera that was a corporate car (and I think press/publicity car too). Technically I was the first person to register the car, but was already almost 2 years into its warranty period. The dealer was able to CPO the car, so I wound up having over 4 years or warranty left on the car when I bought it!

I fully recognize that the car likely wasn't broken in in the way that the manual indicates. However, if you read this forum, you will see that there are many different opinions on this matter, so I'm not super worried. I plan on enjoying this car and hoping that my ownership is trouble-free. I will evaluate my longer-term plans for the car in 4 years when I approach the warranty end date.

One item to look out for - the exterior paint condition. If the car was anything besides a true corporate car that was driven by some PCNA exec in Atlanta, the exterior probably has been well worn - lots of automatic car washes and lots of rags rubbing the exterior of the car. I had to do a decent amount of paint correction on the car after I bought it, but fortunately, the car looks as good as new!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying a launch vehicle/demo Macan? Good, bad or neither?