Macan 2014-Current

Macan GTS....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 07:01 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Macan GTS....

When can we expect it? I am hoping this fall it will be announced at the LA auto show. Curious where the price point will fall as well
Old 08-18-2015, 01:25 AM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 534 Likes on 292 Posts

Not sure when, but the Cayenne GTS splits the price between the S and Turbo. Following this, the Macan GTS would be $63k and probably 370 hp. I would guess PASM, 20 inch wheels, Premium pkg, sport design kit to be standard.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:37 PM
Enilder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Between S and Turbo price...Typical GTS options to be included (like Cayenne GTS). I expect to see one in early 2016.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:20 AM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

A year before the current Macan facelift.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:44 PM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

GTS? Not interested. We will see a TurboS before a GTS. They may come out with a GTS the year before a refresh is due though. Porsche always does this to move some more cars before a new design comes out.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:05 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, FrstPorsche isn't interested. That makes one of us.

I think Porsche has proven, however, that there is plenty of room in each model lineup for ~3-4 levels of performance. The 911 may actually have too many variants, but the Macan in the USA has too few.

In other countries, one can purchase a Macan base, Diesel, S, or Turbo. Poor Americans can only opt for the S or the Turbo.

The easy thing for Porsche to do would be to simply match the Euro lineup, but the naysayers here think that 4-cylinder power would "dilute the brand". I think that the next easiest thing to do would be for Porsche to slot in a lightweight GTS level between the current options. It could include all the "Turbo" go-fast hardware and none of the flab and electronic gadgets that only offer distraction and commuter pacification. Porsche would have to spend practically nothing on new engineering (except the need to implement a manual transmission, of course).

If Porsche was to develop a Turbo S, it would take much more effort. Can the current chassis & drivetrain handle more power? There is certainly more power left in the 3.6l engine, but what does that do to durability? Is there really a market for a higher performance Macan Turbo S, or would buyers prefer to just jump up to the Cayenne for a V8?
Old 08-24-2015, 01:11 AM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
GTS? Not interested. We will see a TurboS before a GTS. They may come out with a GTS the year before a refresh is due though. Porsche always does this to move some more cars before a new design comes out.
VAG has already stated a Macan GTS is coming in the 2015 calendar year...
Old 08-31-2015, 05:11 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Above is interesting. I have a Turbo and was waiting for the GTS but not interested unless at least 430 to 450 hp. Sounds like perhaps a Turbo S is what I'm really waiting for. No interest whatsoever in Cayenne as find it too large.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:41 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By the way, no 4 cylinder Macan in Germany, not sure about the rest of Europe. This is a variant for the Chinese market, a true blender.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:53 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Old 09-01-2015, 03:26 PM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

I get it that a GTS will sell, but I still don't see the logic in getting one. Its still a turbo engine not NA. It will not outperform the Macan Turbo and probably will be very close to it in price. It's basically and S with some a little bit of a discount in option prices. If one settles for an S over the turbo because of the price difference it still doesn't make sense that person will now spring for the more expensive GTS model. If one can afford a 60/65k S, which they all are after a few options, you can certainly afford an 80K turbo. Why settle for a GTS which will probably be around 70K after a couple options? I believe they would sell more Turbo S's at 90K then GTS's at 70.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:14 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
I get it that a GTS will sell, but I still don't see the logic in getting one. Its still a turbo engine not NA. It will not outperform the Macan Turbo and probably will be very close to it in price. It's basically and S with some a little bit of a discount in option prices. If one settles for an S over the turbo because of the price difference it still doesn't make sense that person will now spring for the more expensive GTS model. If one can afford a 60/65k S, which they all are after a few options, you can certainly afford an 80K turbo. Why settle for a GTS which will probably be around 70K after a couple options? I believe they would sell more Turbo S's at 90K then GTS's at 70.
Typically the GTS versions come with a much more taught suspension than the Turbo - at least with the Cayenne GTS. The Cayenne GTS has a much more sporty feel than the turbo. After driving both, I went with the GTS. I imagine they will do the same with the Macan.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:40 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Typically the GTS versions come with a much more taught suspension than the Turbo - at least with the Cayenne GTS. The Cayenne GTS has a much more sporty feel than the turbo. After driving both, I went with the GTS. I imagine they will do the same with the Macan.
Right that would be a very interesting niche for the Macan.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:59 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

I think it will be a great variant. Tauter suspension, some engine tweaks, interior details etc...
Old 09-11-2015, 10:22 AM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't think so. They are marketing the Macan as a sports car of SUV and a bigger brother of the 911. They are distancing the Macan from the Cayenne. If that is the case then the Macan GTS will be an optioned Macan S, like the 911 GTS. The 911 GTS is not sportier than the 911 Turbo.

Quick Reply: Macan GTS....