Macan 2014-Current

GT5 Macan possible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 01:26 AM
Powereng
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GT5 Macan possible?

Was reading that there is a possibility of a gt5 Macan coming. Word has it that it will better equipped and more HP than the Turbo we have now which I am sure will come with a nice price tag. Interesting as Porsche generally keeps their GT line between the S and Turbo, but since there is not a lot of wiggle room between what we have, guess they had to do it. Should be interesting to see if this happens.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:44 AM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the reasons I didn't get a Turbo: They will eventually top it with something.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:58 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

GT5 or GTS? GTS I believe is definitely coming.

I hope we get a super hyper Macan with a huge price tag and huge HP numbers. For stat geek purposes to showcase what with chassis is capable of, amongst other things. Problem is, it probably won't to the degree I'd like to see, because with even much less HP, it'd crush the much more expensive Cayenne Turbo S times.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:27 PM
Powereng
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It was listed as a GT5, not sure where a GTS would fall in the Macan tree, Porsche has already changed from their normal model labeling which may indicate more changes are around the corner. If they bring a GTS, will be interesting were it will fall. As many have stated with the GTS 911, it is not substantially better than a 911S and performance numbers are no better, change is interesting
Old 05-20-2015, 11:37 PM
kkapoor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a very large gap between the MSRP of the Macan S and Turbo that would allow the GTS model to fit. Traditionally GTS models fit in above the S and below the Turbo in terms of price /performance in the other model lineups. I expect a GTS would be released some time next year.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:53 AM
Enilder
Instructor

GTS will likely fall between S and Turbo but not sure about Turbo S+ model (i.e. GT5). 100k+?
Old 05-22-2015, 06:23 AM
Amo123
Track Day

GT5 sounds wrong on a macan. It sounds like it would be homologated for a race or something.

GTS should be the right one. But what do I know.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:27 PM
davidc1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it does make business sense. Sounds like Macan will be the biggest seller for Porsche. More variations of it the better. Base, S, Diesel, Hybrid, GTS, Turbo and maybe GT5. If more Macans are sold, it makes better financial sense to have more varieties. Hard to make a business case for a Boxster GT5 if they think they can only sell a few hundred copies. I can see worldwide Macan sales hitting 100k.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:56 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

A Macan GT5 would be insane. It'd have to be a track spec if they actually do that (a'la GT3 and GT4), as they don't mess around with their GT(numerical) cars. That's why the GTS is obviously sensical because it's kind of a "faux GT(numerical)" retaining functionality with the impression of more high performance (which works great as they package it so alluringly).

But a GT5 Macan means they'd have to really strip it down and make it something very track oriented, to uphold the GT(numerical) name. I'd LOVE to see what they could do with this chassis with something like that. I think it could be really impressive. Even though I still think the concept of a GT(numerical) Porsche from the basis of a Crossover is unrealistic.

What it WOULD do it serve as a geek-out version of the Macan, to show how serious Porsche can make it and take it, which would trickle into raising impressions of the nameplate as a whole.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:41 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Turbo Macan and am waiting for the next version which should have at least another 30+ hp etc. I expect it around early 2017 model year. Whether they call it a GTS or ? is not relevant as long as it's faster and hopefully all other performance aspects upgraded I'm in (so to speak).
Old 05-28-2015, 01:13 AM
kkapoor
Instructor

I don't think there will never be a GT5 Macan. It's a 4200 lb vehicle. I think people would laugh at Porsche if there was. They would never risk their rep.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:19 AM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kkapoor
I don't think there will never be a GT5 Macan. It's a 4200 lb vehicle. I think people would laugh at Porsche if there was. They would never risk their rep.
Well, the bloated weight of modern vehicles is precisely why Porsche needs to get to work. Lightweight editions would improve Porsche's reputation, no?

Sadly, the best selling vehicle platform that Porsche sells is offered as a base model, Diesel, S, S E-Hybrid, GTS, Turbo, and Turbo S. None of these variants offer anything substantial to reduce mass. So you're probably right, Porsche doesn't really care much about vehicle mass for the mass market machines.

Likely the marketeers at Porsche will expand the Macan range similarly, I just wish that a lightweight version would be offered sometime in my life. It really wouldn't be hard to raid the parts bin and eliminate several hundred kg of fluff from the Macan. Or perhaps when the the initial wave of sales diminishes, perhaps Porsche could offer a much-desired 3 door variant -- that alone would drop a lot of mass. Something like this: http://www.carscoops.com/2011/03/rep...aid-to-be.html
Old 05-28-2015, 03:17 AM
kkapoor
Instructor

Originally Posted by roule
Well, the bloated weight of modern vehicles is precisely why Porsche needs to get to work. Lightweight editions would improve Porsche's reputation, no?

Sadly, the best selling vehicle platform that Porsche sells is offered as a base model, Diesel, S, S E-Hybrid, GTS, Turbo, and Turbo S. None of these variants offer anything substantial to reduce mass. So you're probably right, Porsche doesn't really care much about vehicle mass for the mass market machines.

Likely the marketeers at Porsche will expand the Macan range similarly, I just wish that a lightweight version would be offered sometime in my life. It really wouldn't be hard to raid the parts bin and eliminate several hundred kg of fluff from the Macan. Or perhaps when the the initial wave of sales diminishes, perhaps Porsche could offer a much-desired 3 door variant -- that alone would drop a lot of mass. Something like this: http://www.carscoops.com/2011/03/rep...aid-to-be.html
The Macan is already 600 to 700 lbs lighter than the Cayenne. Regardless, I doubt you could strip enough weight off of the car without significantly increasing its cost. You can strip and reduce any vehicle down to the bare bones and make it a hard as nails track vehicle but then why not just buy a sports car. It makes no sense to take a Porsche SUV and turn it into track focussed vehicle. It's COG is high, which you can't significantly change. You could turn it into a vehicle suitable for events like the Dakar Rally but I doubt you could sell enough of those to the general public to justify the development cost. It will be interesting to see. I think the GTS/Turbo S will be the farthest they will go just like the Cayenne.

Quick Reply: GT5 Macan possible?