Macan S order questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 11:26 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman32
Thanks
I really like the clock and with sport chrono I also get sport+ and lunch control.
It's a lot better value than on my 991 rs order.
I don't like air suspensions. I test drove a macan s the standard suspension feels really good.
Just for comparisons sake, you should try the Macan's air suspension. The best AS unit I've ever experienced to date. It can act like a typical AS (comfort oriented), but the load bearing springs being able to stiffen up and keep the car as flat as possible during cornering without giving up that gliding comfort factor is pretty amazing.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:23 AM
kkapoor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the others. Air Suspension just doesn't suit Porsche's brand. It's offered primarily for ride comfort and some dynamic benefits over base suspension at the cost of reduced road feel. Porsche has never been about ride comfort until they introduced SUV's and sedans into the lineup to cater to a wider demo. They've historically always been about connection to the road. I do see it's benefits in the off road arena though and for soccer mom's who want a comfy ride. The great thing is you can spec a Macan with steelies and still get the authentic Porsche character coming through. Bare bones.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:36 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by kkapoor
I agree with the others. Air Suspension just doesn't suit Porsche's brand. It's offered primarily for ride comfort and some dynamic benefits over base suspension at the cost of reduced road feel. Porsche has never been about ride comfort until they introduced SUV's and sedans into the lineup to cater to a wider demo. They've historically always been about connection to the road. I do see it's benefits in the off road arena though and for soccer mom's who want a comfy ride. The great thing is you can spec a Macan with steelies and still get the authentic Porsche character coming through. Bare bones.
Theoretically, I agree. Problem is that these aren't 911's. For a high cog 4,200 lb car to be able to provide further near "sports car" like stiff handling while keeping comfort up to desirable spec, air suspension or something similar is a big benefit. That's why nearly all high end, heavy, high performance 4 doors use AS, with a growing adoption rate.

A 3K sports car doesn't need AS and can rely on its natural steel suspension feel. For a heavier car, air suspension becomes important to help it act like a smaller car and get around its own physics.

The Macan steel springs are too high (car looks too lifted in the air imo) and too soft to provide ultimate cornering flatness. AS to me makes the Macan feel closer to a smaller sporty car, as it brings it lower, and provides as flat a handling that one can imagine from a car if its nature. I feel a little too much lean from that 2 ton frame, on load-bending OEM steel springs, compared to load-bearing air springs, personally.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:14 AM
kkapoor
Instructor

I absolutely agree it's not a 911. It's a sporty SUV. And as I said there are some dynamic benefits with AS but they are marginal at best. On the S model the cost is too high in terms of price and lost driving character. On the Turbo the cost is more reasonable. The majority of buyers are going to use the vehicle as a day to day utility vehicle. Even if one does plan to track a 4200 lb SUV I would choose PASM only and PTV as AS dials out too much feel and fails to advertise to the driver that he is approaching his limits. That can be dangerous. I think it's great that Porsche has 3 separate options for suspension on the Macan. If you want the great comfort/off-road and aesthetic benefits of AS you have that option. If you want a more authentic 'sporty' Porsche character you can have that as well. It's a win win however you spec it.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:21 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by kkapoor
I absolutely agree it's not a 911. It's a sporty SUV. And as I said there are some dynamic benefits with AS but they are marginal at best. On the S model the cost is too high in terms of price and lost driving character. On the Turbo the cost is more reasonable. The majority of buyers are going to use the vehicle as a day to day utility vehicle. Even if one does plan to track a 4200 lb SUV I would choose PASM only and PTV as AS dials out too much feel and fails to advertise to the driver that he is approaching his limits. That can be dangerous. I think it's great that Porsche has 3 separate options for suspension on the Macan. If you want the great comfort/off-road and aesthetic benefits of AS you have that option. If you want a more authentic 'sporty' Porsche character you can have that as well. It's a win win however you spec it.
I agree about the options and what your're saying in theory, though my experiences relate a little differently. I think there's plenty of feel, personally. I also think what's most important is that AS raises this cars limits. And a car like this benefits from more bump absorbing sophistication than a 911.

To me, AS gives it the closest to a sporty Porsche character, actually. The steels to me are (comparatively) a little too soft and high, with more body lean when pushed or around town. Have you driven the AS on this car, out of curiosity? I drove a PASM/steel car and being acclimated to AS, it felt less sporty yet a little more "harsh" in Sport+ to me.

But it's great that we get these options. Keeps things tailored and interesting.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:07 PM
kkapoor
Instructor

Ya, I have driven an AS Macan. They are hard to find for sure as demo vehicles. When I speak about feel, I'm speaking in relative terms not absolute. AS dials out feel due to the nature of the technology which you can't escape. There are no mechanical springs, it's compressed air. I'm sure as the tech develops this aspect will be improved.

As far as the limits are concerned, that's all fine and dandy but 99% of the time nobody will be approaching the limits. Only track enthusiasts will and that will be a minute segment of the overall user base who will track their Macan maybe 2%-5% of the overall lifetime of the vehicle. Even in a track setting I would not pick AS due to it's failure to advertise to the driver that you are approaching the limits. Mechanical springs do a much better job then that. Again it's just the state and nature of the technology. Otherwise you would see AS being adopted in Motorsport.

For sure the steel springs have more pitch and dive and squat but as I said previously the improvement AS provides on this as aspect is marginal given the cost and the average user's usage scenario.

As far as the Porsche brand and character is concerned AS is the furthest thing from their roots but I can understand why it is offered in the SUV and sedan segment. It totally makes sense.

Yeah, it's good to have options.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:15 PM
K-A
Drifting

Well stated and I get what your saying, even if I see it a bit differently.

I will say the reason why we don't see the tech in Motorsport is because those cars are already so light. They don't need as much "trickery" to maintain handling and comfort as heavier and larger cars, etc. Same reason why Porsche has adopted it in their not so traditional (to their history) cars. As you also touched on in a sense.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:20 PM
Powereng
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Well stated and I get what your saying, even if I see it a bit differently.

I will say the reason why we don't see the tech in Motorsport is because those cars are already so light. They don't need as much "trickery" to maintain handling and comfort as heavier and larger cars, etc. Same reason why Porsche has adopted it in their not so traditional (to their history) cars. As you also touched on in a sense.
Actually they don't use AS due to how it reacts or does not react, there are plenty of "heavy" Motorsport vehicles, just install a set of firm springs and you will not have any body role if that's what you wish to get rid of, the car with steel springs will act the same lap after lap, the AS will continue to try to compensate but by then you are pulling out of the turn.

If you want performance then go turbo which will also give you better brakes w/ PASM. No trickery, just well designed suspension, however the Macan was not built for the track, people have used it on the track and with the turbo done well for a lap or two and then brake fade kicks in and you are reminded you are driving a SUV.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:41 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Powereng
Actually they don't use AS due to how it reacts or does not react, there are plenty of "heavy" Motorsport vehicles, just install a set of firm springs and you will not have any body role if that's what you wish to get rid of, the car with steel springs will act the same lap after lap, the AS will continue to try to compensate but by then you are pulling out of the turn.

If you want performance then go turbo which will also give you better brakes w/ PASM. No trickery, just well designed suspension, however the Macan was not built for the track, people have used it on the track and with the turbo done well for a lap or two and then brake fade kicks in and you are reminded you are driving a SUV.
But a Motorsport car doesn't have to be comfortable over all terrain yet provide the stiff handling Porsche is known for, which is where AS comes into play as it can do both at the same time a bit better than steel coils. The Panny and Cayenne Turbo S' use AS for these reasons as well (also it's the only way to lower a car without forcing it to get rougher).

BTW, AS is already working through the turn once it nearly immediately adapts to you driving aggressively.

-------------------------------------
Here are a couple of the facts I've collected about it from engineers in track context:

In the following track review video; Torsten Gartner, the actual "Manager of [Macan] Driving Dynamics" (chief behind how our cars are designed to drive) explains what the 3 suspensions result in:

-Conventional Steel Sprung Car: "A lot of comfort, a lot of sportiness in it"

-PASM added to dampers of the steel sprung car: "You increase your ability for sportiness".

-"Top of the line is the Air Suspended car: Lower center of gravity by 15 mm, then 10mm more with Sport+ setting, which gives an even lower of center of gravity. That gives a higher sportiness and a higher capability of lateral acceleration” [which further exemplifies how the AS model achieved the highest recorded to date .92G]. This is inline with what kkapoor states about increased limits (to whatever lengths they may be) yet doesn't touch the relative isolation aspect of what he brings up.

In this video, there's a moment where the official Porsche driver in the back, who introduces the suspension, Turbo and the PTV+/AS as giving "everything that makes the car go faster and be more compliant". He explains (from the backseat) the benefits they're feeling as the AS levels the car through turns.

Last edited by K-A; 05-29-2015 at 03:59 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:39 AM
PierreTT
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 62 Posts

Just ordered my Macan S as well

Standard suspension for me.

Car&Driver reviewed the Macan S in the June issue BTW. They complained about the lack of feel for a Porsche (versus the other Cayenne, Panamera,...). The test car they had was equipped with AS...

For me, Standard will be the perfect compromise and I putted the $$ elsewhere on the car...

My 0.02
Old 05-29-2015, 12:36 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PierreTT
Just ordered my Macan S as well

Standard suspension for me.

Car&Driver reviewed the Macan S in the June issue BTW. They complained about the lack of feel for a Porsche (versus the other Cayenne, Panamera,...). The test car they had was equipped with AS...

For me, Standard will be the perfect compromise and I putted the $$ elsewhere on the car...

My 0.02
That's the beauty of the Porsche option list.
You can make your Porsche fit your personal desires and needs!

Plus we can get some spirited discussions of which options are "must have" and which are "nice to have" or even "should not have"
Old 05-29-2015, 03:13 PM
PierreTT
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 62 Posts

You are absolutly right!!

Originally Posted by RESP
That's the beauty of the Porsche option list.
You can make your Porsche fit your personal desires and needs!

Plus we can get some spirited discussions of which options are "must have" and which are "nice to have" or even "should not have"
Old 05-29-2015, 03:14 PM
Powereng
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great discussion.. Here is my list:

Must have: great motor, comfortable seats
Nice to have: everything else until you run out of money..

Quick Reply: Macan S order questions