Notices
Macan 2014-Current

From GT-R to Macan

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 09:53 PM
Canspeed
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just did an euro delivery of a macan turbo for my wife 3 weeks ago, I was impressed with the handling and power (for an SUV), it was fun to drive on mountain roads and comfortable on the highways, the benefits of the utility the GTR doesn't have should more than off set the fun factor, having owned a 2012 GTR, I found that the it was all or nothing in the throttle department and driving at slow speeds was annoying, with the front end awd push and tranny clunking, I didn't miss my GTR after I sold it, also having a 458 at your disposal when you want drive a real sports car.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:19 AM
Leverageconsult
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you considered the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Old 05-15-2015, 10:58 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
I'll agree, as much as I like mine the Macan could use a diet. I expect Porsche to have much more input on the platform the next iteration is based on and there will be some serious weight savings.
I see a lot of people say this, but I dunno. Looking at the weight figures of an equal Panamera (which is Porsche developed chassis), it's a bit heavier than the Macan (4,123 for Panny 4S vs Macan AWD S 4,112, though the Panny is larger, yet the Macan is more "SUV").

The Cayenne as a joint developed chassis with VW is significantly heavier than the Macan. The Macan in standard form is actually pretty impressively "light", when you compare it to midsize executive sedans with Twin Turbo 6's or 8's and especially AWD. Porsche shaved about 300 lbs from a Q5 SQ5, so they definitely went to work quite hard to make the platform their own. It's the options that really weight the car down more so.

As for the GTR. One of my best friends has one. I personally don't like it. It feels huge and bulky, and driving it slow is like driving around an Altima or something. Just kind of cheap and kind of clunky at those speeds. It lives to be driven one way, otherwise it's not really a great package, imo.

This video is funny, though.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:30 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 223 Posts

I had a GT-R a couple of years ago. There is no comparison from that to a macan turbo. The "turbo" on a macan doesn't really mean what it used to mean.

I find my macan turbo to be very similar to a panamera. I probably like the panamera gts better but it's too ugly.

I find my macan to be underwhelming. I want something else but I have other cars that keep me happy.. The Gtr was a great car for around town. It was a heavy *** car for the track...
Old 05-18-2015, 01:12 PM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
The "turbo" on a macan doesn't really mean what it used to mean.
+1963, but to be fair, it is also a lot cheaper than what a "porsche turbo" really means.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:16 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by pyramid
+1963, but to be fair, it is also a lot cheaper than what a "porsche turbo" really means.
I agree with that. It's not nearly hyper enough in price or HP to be a "true" "Turbo". I wish they gave it 520+ HP and a price tag to match, at least to serve as a halo benchmark for what the chassis is capable of, for geeking out on stats, if nothing else.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:22 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

the beauty of the Macan is that you can take it out at night and grab a slice of pizza or hit the corner store without making a show of it....
You can also drive it in winter and not give a ****.

It is a daily driver with a little bit of fun thrown into it. Porsche fun.
Sure, you can buy the Audi, but just look at the fenders on the Macan. It also sounds better and shifts better.

Realistically, a 991 c4 is also a great daily but just cannot match the utility of the Macan.

You can walk into the porsche dealer and get any GT car you desire (Boxster to 918) and a Macan to go with it for the times you want to be low key and practical.
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2015, 11:23 PM
3point9liters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had GTR when it first came out. I think the car was simply great for a 70K price range. But when the US dollars got weak, and the price of GTR went up to 100K... I felt it's not worth it anymore. My biggest problem is not about the car itself (except its weight) but the service I got from Nissan service department. I just don't think they know how to take care of customer of different category. Sounds a bit snobby, I know, but I wish the car would be serviced by Infiniti...
Old 09-22-2015, 10:51 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by roule
True, the Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG 4MATIC Wagon is a beast. The in S-model spec, it offers 577 HP and 590 lb-ft torque, which will leave practically any car, including Porsches, in its dust ... in a straight line. I wonder why prospective Macan Turbo buyers aren't cross-shopping this.
We are. I came very close to picking up a 2013 E63 AMG Wagon (RWD) but chose the Macan instead. The 63 albeit beautifully appointed just felt BIG and for the same price I got a new Macan S. Is there enough power in the Macan S for booting around town? Heck yeah. It's great and it makes dropping down in the seat of the Boxster Spyder all that more fun.

Quick Reply: From GT-R to Macan