Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 12:21 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,733 Likes on 4,764 Posts
Default Road & Track likes the Macan

In a comparo with the Audi and the Mercedes, R&T sums it up this way:

"After several days of highway cruising, in-town commuting, and flat-out back-road debauchery, it was clear that the Mercedes is the most fun and the Audi the most rational, but the Porsche is the one you'd go to jail for."

Read it all here:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-comparison-tests/features/a24791/comparison-test-porsche-macan-turbo-vs-audi-sq5-vs-mercedes-benz-gla45-amg/
Old 01-22-2015, 07:37 AM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good article but I would have preferred they used a Macan S instead of the Turbo. The S is a more realistic competitor to those cars in terms of $.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:38 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

they should have tested the Macan S... but I guess they wanted to test best offering of each brand. That or the Macan S is too close to the Audi to compare....
Old 01-22-2015, 03:35 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Poor article. A longtime complaint of mine is automotive journalists who spend more time making up stupid metaphors than they do driving the cars. Based on the depth of review, it appears the author may have spent a grand total of 15 minutes in each car.

That said, R&T did point out one indisputable truth: The Macan needs to lose weight. There is simply no reason for the SQ5 to be the lighter vehicle -- it's lower mass almost completely makes up for the Macan's greater horsepower in acceleration times, braking, etc. For all the work Porsche did to develop the Macan, they clearly forgot discipline in keeping a lid on weight.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:43 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

would like the Chris Harris take on it.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:18 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I completely agree. He has the most constructive take on everything and is just like us.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:34 PM
WJGreer
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 93 Posts

I read every word of this because all three of these cars are on my cross-shop list when my 5 series lease ends later this year.

It does seem like the Macan S would have been the more appropriate choice; usually the magazines have to review whatever the car company sends; they apparently sent a Macan Turbo this time. The Macan S would have been within a few % of the price of both other entrants instead of $20K more, but it would have been half a second or so slower to 60.

I wonder whether it still would have won. Probably. Everyone seems to like these, and every dealer in Colorado seems to have mysteriously non-detailed descriptions of Macans in stock, which tells me that they really don't have any and you'd have to order one on a waitlist and at or close to MSRP. Maybe I don't like the Macan that much.

The SQ5 is really nice; it looks a little frumpy in this group but whenever I see one coming and going I always look twice. I had horrible maintenance experience with the two Audis I owned in the past. The newer of the two was a 2004 model though, so maybe things have changed.

I do look forward to driving the GLA45. I suspect that the test drive on that one will tell the tale as to whether it's ridiculously unique and fun or a little less substantial than it should be as a Mercedes.

I'm usually a BMW guy, but the X3 is too cute by half. I would not drive one.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:01 PM
997xpress
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Here you go...

https://grrc.goodwood.com/road/drive...o-chris-harris
Old 01-23-2015, 05:05 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 997xpress
Ouch!
Old 01-23-2015, 05:22 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny read.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:37 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Haha, Harris' read was great. I don't agree with all of it and it's clear he has a prejudice which the cars even admitted brilliance won't shake (i.e "I prefer Estate Cars and always will"), but there are some gems:

"Forget class classification, forget the usual motoring-media qualifications for an SUV it is very talented etc, the Macan Turbo, on a damp, twisty A-road is an outright weapon that will stay with pretty much anything on four wheels."

"And wouldn’t you just know it, the chassis is even better. The driving position is very clever, with legs more horizontal than rival machines and a feeling of not sitting too high. Beyond detailed technical descriptions of how a car behaves over specific road surfaces one subjective behavioural trait matters far more: how confident a driver feels and how quickly that confidence manifests itself. The Macan Turbo is freakish in this respect: you turn the wheel and you have a sixth sense of where the car will be placed on the road. Not many sports cars can manage that."
Old 01-28-2015, 11:57 AM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys, I'm not well-read on Chris Harris and who made him the voice of authority?
Old 01-28-2015, 12:13 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rubik
Guys, I'm not well-read on Chris Harris and who made him the voice of authority?
He's not. He's just entertaining and a respected car nut like the rest of us, and verbalizes himself rather eloquently if not funnily.

He's got an agenda, prejudice and preference towards his tastes like the rest of us.

Think Jeremy Clarkson with a lot more respect.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:24 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubik
He's been an auto journalist for a while and made some really good videos that you can find on youtube. The only thing that made him "the voice of authority" is that people read and listen to him, myself included. He's an enthusiast that found a way to make his love for cars pay.

His opinion on the Macan is overlooking one important fact, imho: Estate cars don't sell in all markets, for whatever reason. Try to buy a "wagon" here in the U.S. -- you can't, really. Buyers here just don't want them. Hence, automakers created SUVs/CUVs to fill that role and that's why the Macan exists.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:51 PM
K-A
Drifting

I'd say given that he fully disclosed a prejudice for the very nature of an Estate and against that of the Macan's genre-like nature (which is meaningless subjectivity), his actual objective review of the Macan is absolutely raving.

Quick Reply: Road & Track likes the Macan