Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Please advice on Macan S build, need to combine comfort for Her and Fun for me.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 07:41 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd add the AS. SUVs in general have squirrely handling characteristics at the limit with a regular coil spring setup. And the limit is surprisingly easy to reach in an SUV (i.e., you'll find it when you are not expecting it). The AS tames most of that misbehavior and makes it handle much more like a sports car when in the sport setting.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:08 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3_racer
I'd add the AS. SUVs in general have squirrely handling characteristics at the limit with a regular coil spring setup. And the limit is surprisingly easy to reach in an SUV (i.e., you'll find it when you are not expecting it). The AS tames most of that misbehavior and makes it handle much more like a sports car when in the sport setting.
First time I've heard this anywhere. Are you sure it is the AS that tames it in sport setting, and not the PASM that comes with AS?
Old 10-31-2014, 08:01 PM
SeaPors
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
First time I've heard this anywhere. Are you sure it is the AS that tames it in sport setting, and not the PASM that comes with AS?
+1 Sounds like PASM to me too.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:31 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

It's both. I drove a Macan Turbo with AS around a track, and it's unbelievable how level it keeps the car. PASM only Macan's are noted to have some body roll through turns, and reviewers who've tested all versions on tracks have mostly noted that as well. Also, the lower COG makes a BIG difference when you're going around a track and pushing the car even near its limits, every inch goes a very long way on a car like this.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:57 PM
SeaPors
Advanced

"The AS tames most of that misbehavior and makes it handle much more like a sports car when in the sport setting."

Based on this earlier statement the description is of PASM alone and does not describe air suspension. Only PASM has a sport setting for the chassis. From the Porsche USA website:

"PASM is an electronic damping control system. It actively and continuously adjusts damping force based on current road conditions and driving style. When a car is driven off-road or assertively in a manner that demands hard acceleration and braking, the forces acting on the car will normally induce perceptible body movements. PASM intervenes in these situations to reduce them. You can select from three modes: ‘Comfort’, ‘SPORT’ and ‘SPORT PLUS’. PASM is permanently active, adapting automatically to the current driving situation with the aim of increasing driving stability and comfort."

Air Suspension does not have a sport setting but has three height level settings. Excerpt from the Porsche website:

"The self-leveling function helps to keep the ride height constant. A ride-height adjustment capability enables you to switch the ground clearance to three levels: Terrain Level, Normal Level and Low Level."
Old 11-01-2014, 05:45 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

C&D ran an article praising the Macan, also stating that they think AS is the essential way to get the most dynamics out of the car.

Here's a bit from Porsche on it as well.

Name:  ForumRunner_20141101_134420.png
Views: 635
Size:  91.8 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20141101_134442.png
Views: 628
Size:  116.5 KB
Old 11-02-2014, 09:27 PM
J.Ho
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The AS makes for an unbelievable ride! I came over from a 2013 911 C2S and like a tight suspension. I keep mind in sport plus suspension mode when it's me. I have all the other options being considered on my car as well. The thing I'd probably need the least is the Chrono package. (although the clock is cool)
Old 11-11-2014, 02:45 PM
ZachMartin
Instructor

Just something to note... If you don't get the 3 zone climate control, the only rear ventilation comes from underneath the seats. Just something to note if you carry passengers or kids often
Old 11-11-2014, 02:53 PM
ZachMartin
Instructor

And panoramic sunroof could really help resale value. I didn't see that on your add on. Pano-roof is all the rave.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:59 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Sports Exhaust wasn't available when I ordered mine, but the cabin has a significant amount of sound insulation. It's also a turbo engine that doesn't sound anywhere near as good as a N/A engine.

I don't think its money well spent vs AS, PVT+ etc when looking at performance.

You could also skip things like porsche crest, sunblinds in rear (they're ok, but only ok), don't know about the 8-way seats, but very happy to have seat ventilation on the 18-ways.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:25 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 888 Likes on 336 Posts

After brief ownership, i'd suggest:

- get the pano roof. It's really awesome
- Have driven both AS+PASM and PASM only. Get the PASM only. It's awesome and the car corners really well. I think the AS is vastly overrated and adds to the list of things to break out of warranty.
- Don't underestimate the value of good seats for sporty driving. We went with the 18 ways and LOVE them.
- good choice on the 20" wheels and summer tires. HUGE difference there in road feel.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:58 PM
ZachMartin
Instructor

^^^^^^^^ THis guy! Great input on the thread
Old 11-21-2014, 10:47 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I tested the Macan S today with steel springs, no PASM, infotainment but no Bose, and the Performance Plus package with back up camera, etc. $50k base, $10k in options. It was a nice ride and I was tempted, but I was so glad to get back into my C4S. The suspension was taught and fun, and the PDK was impressive, but the package just did not make me reach for my wallet. It did make me want to drive the Turbo, though. That might be the ticket.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:59 AM
MCN
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1MORLAP
AS is 15mm lower than standard and can go additional 10mm. It is quite expensive though.

Summer tires are illegal in Alps during winter, so consider that.

My dealer contacted Porsche ED office and they confirmed 2 weeks rental of snow tires …
Old 11-22-2014, 01:08 AM
MCN
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SeaPors
+1 Sounds like PASM to me too.

I went through dozens of posts about AS and at the end decided to SKIP that option since for PASM create sporty feel not AS. The only thing AS can add to sportiness is 25 mm lower setting which I don't think would be such a significant unless you go on track.

Quick Reply: Please advice on Macan S build, need to combine comfort for Her and Fun for me.