Notices
Macan 2014-Current

GLA 45 AMG?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 04:50 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Just got back from a 45 min test drive on back roads, with wife.

Handling was very good. Not 80% of a 911 good, but good enough.

14 way seats only a shade better than the POS Lexus. Would have to be 18 way like the 991.

Brakes would be ok for a vehicle that weighed 800 lbs less. Sorry Macan S, fail.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:53 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Sorry Macan S, fail.
Looks like you'll be buying something else, then. Good luck with your search.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:11 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Didn't mean to sound that harsh on an otherwise quality Porsche product. I just have this thing about CG and active safety.

The answer for a trip to FL is 2 plane tickets and Avis.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:39 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Didn't mean to sound that harsh on an otherwise quality Porsche product. I just have this thing about CG and active safety.
I don't think you're going to be able to get around the high Cg, seeing as a big part of the appeal of the CUV segment is the higher ride height. As a bonus you get some limited off-roading ability with that, as well. The Tesla model X has some appeal with it's low-mounted battery packs, but that's still a year or so from deliveries and the electric drive train brings its own concerns.

This segment is really taking off though, and you're almost spoiled for choice. Given the competition for buyers in this market, there are going to be some incredible offerings in a few years. You might be best served to stick with what you've got and wait out another few years.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:25 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting thread. Guys .... just drive what you like.

We've had a pretty loaded up ML for 5 years and now that it's time to change and we wanted something different. We looked at Macan S and still test drove the new ML. ML was more of the same, not complaining but wanted something different. The Macan was far sportier and handled a lot better although we would be losing a lot of space, we still decided to go for it. I still think the P-car interior is a lot more driver oriented. Also, test drove the Panamera and Ghibli. Panamera was not liked by both myself and my wife. Ghibli, nice but would only lease and lease entry sucks! So, Macan was the only long-term choice.

BTW, I hate the X1 and any other look-alike that would come out. I think it is a very confused segment. Are you a station-wagon or SUV/CUV? Make up your f-in mind!

Also, I when CLA first came out, I was considering it for my wife. But a FWD MB?!!!! Is that a joke?! Better get a Jap and save your money!

I've looked at numbers. 0.2 second difference for a confused segment? No thank you! (For me anyway. People like what they like.) I think if you want uncompromised sportiness, you have to get a true sports car. This is why I have my 996. It's not the fastest, but I f-in enjoy driving that car.

Last edited by Rubik; 10-19-2014 at 03:16 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:40 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The answer for a trip to FL is 2 plane tickets and Avis.
Test drive a Cayenne with PDCC. You might be surprised. I was!
Old 11-23-2014, 10:39 PM
rskdsk
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well guys, I am one of those cross shoppers currently looking for a small suv. On my list are the following:

Audi Q5
Audi Q3
Audi SQ5
Mercedes GLA 250
Mercedes GLA45
Porsche Macan S
Lexus NX

We currently have a 2011 Q5 and it has been a great car with the exception that the 2.0t loves to drink oil.

This time around I want something with more power ... and a faster take off.

The audi's styling is dated and the after thought nav in the Q3 is hard to ignore. I test drove the SQ5 and loved the power and for about 59k, it comes fully loaded. Audi has been discounting them a lot.

The Mercedes have a much nicer sportier look IMO, and the 45 AMG is just amazingly fast. I tried one with the sports exhaust ... what a hoot! It did feel small and the nav again looked like a afterthought. However for 58K I can have a loaded GLA45 AMG that will outrun just about anything out there.

The Porsche too me was a great all around suv, but did not live up to the hype on power/speed and after adding all the things I want ... the price was almost $66k. The handling and ride were great and my wife loved this car the most so far.

I have not tried the NX yet, but will in another couple weeks. After that I will make my final decision ... as of right now, I am torn between the SQ5, Macan S, and 45 AMG
Old 11-23-2014, 11:03 PM
rskdsk
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a nut shell ... If I am gonna spend 60kish on a suv, I am still looking at the SQ5, Macan S, and the GLA45 AMG with the slight lean toward the Macan.

If I decide to limit myself to $40K, I am looking at the Q3, GLA 250, and the Lexus NX ... right now leaning toward the GLA 250 because with a weight around 3600lbs that little turbo engine works well.

My past experience with the Audi 2.0T in my Q5 makes me a bit hesitant about the Q3. I am not a fan of adding 1 quart of oil every 1500 miles.

I am hopeful about the NX because it has the power advantage over the other two, but it's weight and styling may prove to be too much for me to take.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:43 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Just got back from a 45 min test drive on back roads, with wife.

Handling was very good. Not 80% of a 911 good, but good enough.

14 way seats only a shade better than the POS Lexus. Would have to be 18 way like the 991.

Brakes would be ok for a vehicle that weighed 800 lbs less. Sorry Macan S, fail.
All backs/butts are different. I picked up my Macan S last Mon. and took it on a 650 mi. drive last week, I'm very pleased with the 14 way seats. I've had sport seats in the past that were very uncomfortable after an hour or so, I had no such discomfort with the 14 way.

I didn't even look at the M-B offerings so I can't compare them to the Macan but I will say I'm very pleased with the Macan, there are only a couple of changes I would make if I was ordering it again but overall I'm exceedingly pleased with the Macan.

BTW, someone previously had stated a concern about the interior headroom on the Macan, I'm 6'3" and 190 lbs (at least before the holidays) and I had to keep tweeking the seat up when I was making my settings. If I set the seat on the lowest setting I felt like a little old man driving it, there is plenty of headroom in the Macan at least in the front seats. I haven't ridden in the back seats so I can't make a statement on them.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:08 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

I may have found a way around my own objections re c.g., weight etc .... Macan Turbo with AS and PCCB!

Now I have to keep working on wife, who is only 49% there.

A few things I have learned in a 31 year sales career and 44 year marriage:

1. Don't rush her. She is a Libra and needs to change her mind several times. Next step is appointment with dealer to look at color samples.
2.Give her 100% control of some of the buy list. Her eyes glaze over when I explain lbs.ft. and PCCB, but she can have any color inside and out she wants. In case you wonder about the Ruby Red TT.
3. Even after you sign, there is still the buyers' remorse period.

A H.S. friend of hers just finished 10 years (!) of living in an RV on a road trip, so that has inspired her. I told her if we get the Macan by May 2015, I would take her on a tour of all 57 National parks. With our 2 Dachshunds. Saves $80 a day in boarding fees. Gotta have a deal in there somewhere.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:51 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

I may have found a way around my own objections re c.g., weight etc .... Macan Turbo with AS and PCCB!

Now I have to keep working on wife, who is only 49% there.

A few things I have learned in a 31 year sales career and 44 year marriage:

1. Don't rush her. She is a Libra and needs to change her mind several times. Next step is appointment with dealer to look at color samples.
2.Give her 100% control of some of the buy list. Her eyes glaze over when I explain lbs.ft. and PCCB, but she can have any color inside and out she wants. In case you wonder about the Ruby Red TT.
3. Even after you sign, there is still the buyers' remorse period.

A H.S. friend of hers just finished 10 years (!) of living in an RV on a road trip, so that has inspired her. I told her if we get the Macan by May 2015, I would take her on a tour of all 57 National parks. With our 2 Dachshunds. Saves $80 a day in boarding fees. Gotta have a deal in there somewhere.
I think your right on except for the PCCB. I know you thought the S had inferior brakes but the turbo comes with bigger brakes. I think the PCCB is a lot of money and question if it is needed for non track use. Unless no brake dust is worth the money to you.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:46 PM
edgy
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO you cannot even compare it to Macan or Q5 etc, the GLA is a compact not a mid size.

I initially liked what I saw when the GLA got released here... so did my mrs, we went and drove one. its nice for what it is and sure, when compared to say the X1 and Q3 it is well equipped in its basic format but its way more expensive so that is hardly impressive (motoring journos here think otherwise) and at the end of it all, its just too small. Feels like a hatchback not an SUV.

Having driven them and priced them all out (compacts), I think the Q3 is the best compact SUV (well in Australia anyhow) I will probably buy the RS Q3, Audi offers complimentary corporate maintenance packages here if you qualify too, which seals the deal for me.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:32 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
I think your right on except for the PCCB. I know you thought the S had inferior brakes but the turbo comes with bigger brakes. I think the PCCB is a lot of money and question if it is needed for non track use. Unless no brake dust is worth the money to you.
Don't think anybody uses PCCB on track. Too expensive. The benefit of PCCB is that they last very long time absent track use, and reduce weight. You need special tool just to measure the amount of life left.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:36 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

CLA45 already has failing turbos. There is just way too much boost to get 355hp out of 2L. I'd wait to see if GLK 63 AMG makes it.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:26 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Originally Posted by NYC993
Don't think anybody uses PCCB on track. Too expensive. The benefit of PCCB is that they last very long time absent track use, and reduce weight. You need special tool just to measure the amount of life left.
Maybe they do last a long time but so did the stock pads on my 996. Half down at 40k mile. I changed them myself anyway. Almost a 10 min job per wheel.
The wear indicators was where the most trouble I was careful so I didn't damage them. I expect to get similar wear on my 997.
Maybe my new Cayenne will use brakes faster I just don't know. I would think the main advantage of PCCB would be track use but I have only tracked my car once so I haven't really checked what the regulars have to say about it.

Quick Reply: GLA 45 AMG?