Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Ordering a Macan S: Need your advice

Old 07-25-2014, 01:12 AM
Santastico
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordering a Macan S: Need your advice

Hi guys!!! I am new to this forum and test drove a Macan S today and I loved and want to customer order one. Too bad it will probably take over 6 months to get it but at this price range I would prefer to get what I want. Here is the configuration I chose and would like to get your thoughts. Want to keep the MSRP below $65K.

Macan S
Premium Package Plus
Jet Black Metallic
Leather Interior in Black
Window Trim in Matte Black
ParkAssist (Front and Rear) incl. Reversing Camera
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Sport Chrono Package
19" Macan Design Wheels
Comfort Lighting Package
Steering Wheel Heating
Adaptive Sport Seats (18-way) with Memory Package
Porsche Crest on Headrests (Front)

I am still debating on the following:
1) Premium vs Premium Plus package?
2) Infotainment Package? I don't think I need Navigation for almost $3K when I barely drive outside the area I am familiar and can use my iPhone if I need. Thoughts?
3) Anything else I am missing here?

Tks
Old 07-25-2014, 02:21 AM
kiya
Advanced

The online services that come with the Infotainment Package are pretty cool (through the Aha app). It's not explained very well anywhere but i noticed that once Aha is installed on my iPhone and the phone is plugged in the PCM system shows a few more options than usual, one of which is being able to search for places using Google within the PCM system.
Also, i should note that the Info Package is cheaper than just getting Nav alone.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:18 AM
ex007
2nd Gear

You may want to consider ordering the window trim in glossy black - it'll match the spoiler.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:52 PM
kiya
Advanced

Originally Posted by ex007
You may want to consider ordering the window trim in glossy black - it'll match the spoiler.
At the very least in matte black, and that option is free too.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:23 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hard to give advice when it's so personal. I start with a performance build and add cosmetic options. The unpainted rear fascia annoys me as do the side blades. Cosmetically those would be the changes I'd want. I think for the jet black the spoiler gets painted body color the matte black window trim might work, not sure though, I've seen the matte trim but not the jet black exterior.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:24 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're adding stuff like steering wheel heating & electronic infotainment gadgets, then you might as well drop the Sport Chrono package. I know Porsche claims you can have both dynamic performance and sumptuous gadget-filled luxury in the same vehicle, but that's a fool's errand. Pick a direction and go with it.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:12 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Two things you might add are the Smoker's Package, and 3-zone climate control. The first covers the hole in the center console and the second the hole in the back. It's nice to have more vents back there if you're going to have passengers.

For myself, I wouldn't choose that many black options. Some contrast in color will make the car more visually interesting, but that's just my preference.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:35 PM
Santastico
3rd Gear

Thank you for all the comments. I am totally new to Porsche so I find hard to fully understand the packages and features. I've been a BMW guy for the last 10 years and just got a 2014 X5 for the wife and it is much easier/simpler to configure a BMW than a Porsche in my opinion. Here are my thoughts and please chime in with comments:
Exterior Color: Black or Jet Black, potentially considering Dark Blue Metallic. I know it is preference but I like dark colors. Agata Gray looks OK but a little too plain in my opinion
Interior color: All my cars had black interior and I like it. I have two kids and car seats so find black interior way easier to maintain. also, it seems to look nicer longer.
Seats: I need advice here. I have no clue if I should go with 8, 14 or 18-way. On my wife's current X5 we have sport seats and they are great.
Packages: I will mainly drive in the city or short highway distances. I won't drive anywhere I don't know. Thus, the Infotainment Package seems too expensive for what I will use. I can always use my iPhone and Google Maps if I need directions. What else am I missing here?
The, it comes to Premium or Premium Plus package. I could probably be OK with just Premium but I feel that with a black car and black interior I will need Panoramic Roof otherwise the car will feel too dark inside. Question here is: what else am I missing if I do not order the Premium Plus? I know what it says on the configuration but I am used to BMW and they only tell you the big things but hide small details that you don't get if you do not order a package. Thus, wanted to get your thoughts here. For example, I know one of the packages (or seats) do not offer electronic adjustment of steering wheel height. I cannot find that on the configurator but the Macan I test drove had that adjustment manual.
Performance: This one I am lost. Do I need PASM? How about Sport Chrono Package? Sport Chrono says I get Sport Plus button. PASM says I get Comfort, Sport and Sport +. ???????
Interior: There are 4 options: leather, wood, aluminum or carbon fiber. What comes standard?
Communications: What exactly I get with PCM? Do I need that to access my iPhone songs on the car?

As you see I am new to Porsche so any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:36 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Santastico
Thank you for all the comments. I am totally new to Porsche so I find hard to fully understand the packages and features. I've been a BMW guy for the last 10 years and just got a 2014 X5 for the wife and it is much easier/simpler to configure a BMW than a Porsche in my opinion.
It can be quite intimidating the first time you spec out a Porsche. There are lots of a la carte options for different color this, deviating that, leather, etc. Your first Porsche is more like a "starter" and it takes two or three to learn what you like and how to get it just right. I might go so far as to recommend you try to find one on a lot somewhere that's close enough to what you think you want and buy that one. Drive it for a few years, then trade it for another one. Your first Porsche is rarely your last.

Exterior Color: Black or Jet Black, potentially considering Dark Blue Metallic. I know it is preference but I like dark colors. Agata Gray looks OK but a little too plain in my opinion.
This is purely a matter of your preference and how willing you are to work to keep it clean. The US spec cars come with privacy glass on the rear windows and hatch. If you're going with that much black, be sure to tint the fronts as well. Also, the roof rails can't be added after the car is built, so spend the $400 now and match the color to your window trim.

Interior color: All my cars had black interior and I like it. I have two kids and car seats so find black interior way easier to maintain. also, it seems to look nicer longer.
Black will hide flaws better than a lighter color. I definitely recommend going with the panoramic roof unless you like the idea of driving around in a dark cave. Check out the aluminum package for a little contrast.

Seats: I need advice here. I have no clue if I should go with 8, 14 or 18-way. On my wife's current X5 we have sport seats and they are great.
I know you're trying to keep the price down, so I would recommend you get the 8-ways and stretch for the full ($3470) leather interior for two reasons. One, it really changes the look and feel of the interior. I got lucky and my Boxster S was one of the launch cars with the full leather interior. Having that convinced me to get when I ordered my 911. And two, the sides of the seat bolsters will withstand wear better. There's a thread over on macanforum.com about this issue. Note that if you get PP+ it comes with 14-way seats and changes the cost a lot.

Packages: I will mainly drive in the city or short highway distances. I won't drive anywhere I don't know. Thus, the Infotainment Package seems too expensive for what I will use. I can always use my iPhone and Google Maps if I need directions. What else am I missing here?
I think you can skip the Infotainment package. You can always use your phone for maps and navigation and with the standard universal audio interface you don't really need satellite radio either since you can use iHeart Radio or something like it.

The, it comes to Premium or Premium Plus package. I could probably be OK with just Premium but I feel that with a black car and black interior I will need Panoramic Roof otherwise the car will feel too dark inside. Question here is: what else am I missing if I do not order the Premium Plus? I know what it says on the configuration but I am used to BMW and they only tell you the big things but hide small details that you don't get if you do not order a package. Thus, wanted to get your thoughts here. For example, I know one of the packages (or seats) do not offer electronic adjustment of steering wheel height. I cannot find that on the configurator but the Macan I test drove had that adjustment manual.
I would lean towards the Plus package. By the time you add the panoramic roof, which I think you'll want, and Park Assist (with or without camera) you're pretty close to the difference in price between the two packages. Visibility out the rear isn't great -- you're going to want the Park Assist function. I'm not sure where the option is for the electric tilt/telescoping wheel. The comfort entry feature is nice (probably part of some memory package somewhere), but how often do you adjust your steering wheel?

Performance: This one I am lost. Do I need PASM? How about Sport Chrono Package? Sport Chrono says I get Sport Plus button. PASM says I get Comfort, Sport and Sport +. ???????
How good are the roads in your area? If there's a lot of variety, I would strongly recommend getting PASM. I like a sporty ride, but there are some areas near where I live that I would completely avoid if I couldn't soften up the ride with the comfort setting. You can probably leave off the Air Suspension as well. It's very nice, but hardly a necessity.

Sport Chrono is one of those things that I think you either know you want or you don't. After the "new" wears off, most people rarely use launch control again. PSM has been a very forgiving technology for a few generations now (miles better than DSC), so I doubt you'll miss the relaxation of the activation threshold that comes with SC.

Interior: There are 4 options: leather, wood, aluminum or carbon fiber. What comes standard?
See my earlier comment re: leather interior. The 3D version of the configurator is very good about showing the different interior options. Play with it and see what you like, but this is where Porsche makes a lot of money and things add up fast when you're on a budget.

Communications: What exactly I get with PCM? Do I need that to access my iPhone songs on the car?
You don't need PCM to play music from your iPhone or use Bluetooth to use the car as a hands free headset. PCM does a lot of things, though. If you have an iPad, PCNA has a "Delivery" app that will let you see the manuals for the car. The PCM manual is 200 pages of details on what it does.

This is all only scratching the surface. There's a lot to be said for finding one on a lot somewhere that you like and just buying that one. Porsche has a tradition of evolving their cars slowly rather than reinventing them every 5-6 years like other manufacturers do. Driving one for a few years makes it easier to understand how they do things and which upgrades are worth your money next time you spec out a car.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:01 PM
Santastico
3rd Gear

Wow!!! Thank you so much for all your insights. As I said, coming from 10 years with 4 BMWs this is very different. My comments below:

Originally Posted by cviles
It can be quite intimidating the first time you spec out a Porsche. There are lots of a la carte options for different color this, deviating that, leather, etc. Your first Porsche is more like a "starter" and it takes two or three to learn what you like and how to get it just right. I might go so far as to recommend you try to find one on a lot somewhere that's close enough to what you think you want and buy that one. Drive it for a few years, then trade it for another one. Your first Porsche is rarely your last.

This is purely a matter of your preference and how willing you are to work to keep it clean. The US spec cars come with privacy glass on the rear windows and hatch. If you're going with that much black, be sure to tint the fronts as well. Also, the roof rails can't be added after the car is built, so spend the $400 now and match the color to your window trim.
.Do people usually order roof rails on the Macan?

Black will hide flaws better than a lighter color. I definitely recommend going with the panoramic roof unless you like the idea of driving around in a dark cave. Check out the aluminum package for a little contrast.
.Heard panoramic roof reduces the internal space on the car. I like it to add light in the car but never open it.

I know you're trying to keep the price down, so I would recommend you get the 8-ways and stretch for the full ($3470) leather interior for two reasons. One, it really changes the look and feel of the interior. I got lucky and my Boxster S was one of the launch cars with the full leather interior. Having that convinced me to get when I ordered my 911. And two, the sides of the seat bolsters will withstand wear better. There's a thread over on macanforum.com about this issue. Note that if you get PP+ it comes with 14-way seats and changes the cost a lot.
.I want leather for sure. 8-way should be fine.

I think you can skip the Infotainment package. You can always use your phone for maps and navigation and with the standard universal audio interface you don't really need satellite radio either since you can use iHeart Radio or something like it.
.My only question here was if there were any "hidden" items you do not get if you do not order this package. BMW loves to do that. You do not pick a package and then you learn you are missing a detail that is very dumb not to include

I would lean towards the Plus package. By the time you add the panoramic roof, which I think you'll want, and Park Assist (with or without camera) you're pretty close to the difference in price between the two packages. Visibility out the rear isn't great -- you're going to want the Park Assist function. I'm not sure where the option is for the electric tilt/telescoping wheel. The comfort entry feature is nice (probably part of some memory package somewhere), but how often do you adjust your steering wheel?
.Similar to the above. Any hidden items I do not get when you order the entire Package vs a la carte? I need heated seats (live in MN) and Park Assist is a must.

How good are the roads in your area? If there's a lot of variety, I would strongly recommend getting PASM. I like a sporty ride, but there are some areas near where I live that I would completely avoid if I couldn't soften up the ride with the comfort setting. You can probably leave off the Air Suspension as well. It's very nice, but hardly a necessity.
.Roads are great in MN but you get icy roads in the winter. That is why I want 19" and not 20". I have Sport+ on the X5 and love it. However, it is a nice to have and not a necessity.

Sport Chrono is one of those things that I think you either know you want or you don't. After the "new" wears off, most people rarely use launch control again. PSM has been a very forgiving technology for a few generations now (miles better than DSC), so I doubt you'll miss the relaxation of the activation threshold that comes with SC.
.What comes in the dash if you do not order this? I was told by the dealer that it just comes a black hole. That is one of the reasons I wanted this. Does it come with a clock or something there? I see an option for a compass but I have to add the PCM to get that.

See my earlier comment re: leather interior. The 3D version of the configurator is very good about showing the different interior options. Play with it and see what you like, but this is where Porsche makes a lot of money and things add up fast when you're on a budget.

You don't need PCM to play music from your iPhone or use Bluetooth to use the car as a hands free headset. PCM does a lot of things, though. If you have an iPad, PCNA has a "Delivery" app that will let you see the manuals for the car. The PCM manual is 200 pages of details on what it does.
.I will pass on this. Too much money for what I will use.

This is all only scratching the surface. There's a lot to be said for finding one on a lot somewhere that you like and just buying that one. Porsche has a tradition of evolving their cars slowly rather than reinventing them every 5-6 years like other manufacturers do. Driving one for a few years makes it easier to understand how they do things and which upgrades are worth your money next time you spec out a car.
Again, tks so much for your help.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:43 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PASM is the no brainer performance option. The folks here really helped me out with that:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...lletproof.html

The air suspension I think is selected by a lot of us who prefer the lowered stance.

PTV+ adds a electronically controlled limited slip differential which in conjunction with rear wheel braking provides torque vectoring. Eliminating understeer in hard cornering, but also providing better traction in offroad applications and in wet and snow conditions
Old 07-25-2014, 08:49 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Hopefully I will catch all your comments. (Next time, it's helpful if you color code them or break them out so they aren't missed. Just FYI).

Roof rails are common for SUVs. Honestly, if they could be added on later I would have left them off of my order as I doubt I'll ever use them. I included them as a hedge against a future resale of my car.

The panoramic roof is going to take up some headroom in the back. I've seen videos where the reviewer knocks a few points for this and others where they claim it's not an issue unless you're hauling six-footers around regularly. I've sat back there, and the extra glass makes a much bigger difference to me than the loss of headroom.

Porsche doesn't usually try to "hide" options and features. They're very open about what you get, that is if you "speak Porsche" as it were. Hence my comments about your first being a "starter Porsche". That said, you probably saw the big thread about the Comfort Light Package and lights for the vanity mirrors over at macanforums.com. That subject got so much interest because it's totally out of character for Porsche to omit something like that and tie it into an option package.

Package vs. A La Carte: Mostly, it's just a question of cost. You could order everything in the package individually if you want. I don't believe there's anything in the packages you couldn't order separately. Front seat heating is standard on all US models I think, it's just a question if you want to add seat heating for the rear seats.

As to wheel sizes, I'm blessed down here not to need a set of winter tires so I can just spec what I want. You can save some upfront money by going with a smaller wheel and mounting/remounting your Winter and Summer tires; I'd be more inclined to buy a second set of 18" Winter wheels rather risk a tech scraping my rims with all the tires coming on and off.

If you don't get Sport Chrono or the compass, I'm pretty sure you'll just have a piece of plastic trim in its place on the dash. The only "hole" I'm aware of up front is behind the PDK shifter where the power outlet is. If you choose the "Smoking Package" (free option), you get a cover over that and a fold-out ashtray in the rear.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:05 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Buckfever
PASM is the no brainer performance option. The folks here really helped me out with that:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...lletproof.html

The air suspension I think is selected by a lot of us who prefer the lowered stance.

PTV+ adds a electronically controlled limited slip differential which in conjunction with rear wheel braking provides torque vectoring. Eliminating understeer in hard cornering, but also providing better traction in offroad applications and in wet and snow conditions
I agree with buckfever here: If you're checking performance boxes, PASM is the first thing you should include. It adds a lot of flexibility to the car when you can make it sporty or smooth at the touch of a button. I use it all the time for bad roads, but it was crucial last year after my two major surgeries. Plus some of my female passengers don't care for the track suspension I have on my Boxster.

Air Suspension is nice for lowering the car, but I really choose it for my build because I like the 21" turbo wheels and AS makes the ride silky or very sporty with those. It's really impressive what it does for the ride. I've heard the closed circuit system Porsche is using is pretty reliable, unlike some others. Two of the Macans I drove were fine without it, though, so this was one of the last things I decided to add.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:36 PM
kiya
Advanced

FYI, the smoking package may give you a cover or two but gets rid of the only thing that conveniently fits an iPhone in the cabin. (only true for the Macan, not any other Porsche)
Old 07-26-2014, 12:04 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Two priorities for resale, even if you never need them. Heated Seats and tow pkg - they are cheap and make your Macan more appealing to all. This is an SUV and the majority of owners will want a hitch for bike carrying, luggage rack or towing at some point. Air suspension is a plus if you you're towing anything heavy. Get at least the 19" wheel option, depending on where you live. More than half the country (probably 3/4 of the population) want heated seats, a big deal when you sell. I would not get less than the Bose audio option. The beauty of the other options is pretty much a function of the eye of the beholder. Colored wheel crests are frivolous but cheap and look great. Enjoy!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ordering a Macan S: Need your advice