Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Support Cost?

Old 02-21-2017, 03:27 PM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Support Cost?

I know this subject has come up in one form or another, but I'm trying to get an idea of cost.

I'm exploring the option of having my car supported by a shop (prepped, transported to event, track support, etc.), vs DYI. From what I have read on previous post, this is a version of "arrive and drive" and the cost quoted by others was round 3K/hr. So for a no damage PCA event, maybe 10-15K?

I'm going to start contacting the different shops that provide this service and I was hoping to have some idea of the "going rate" before hand. I know the rate varies with the shop's competence and I'm not looking for the cheapest price. I just want some idea of the per hour range or a typical event cost range.

I would appreciate it if anyone that has a similar arrangement with their 997 cup could chime in with their experience to either confirm the cost above or offer a more accurate amount.

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:38 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

That is closer to operating costs all in. Most shops charge for transport per mile from their shop and then a flat rate per day including what you typically do at the track and then a rate per hour for service in their shop for prep etc.

Depends on what you want and like. Some shops go crazy including masseuses and incredible food where others are basically just service. Call around. I've used a few and you get what you pay for. Depends how bad you want to be competitive or just have fun I guess.

Stu
Old 02-21-2017, 09:21 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Do you have a shop who currently maintains your Cup? I'd start there, if not reach out to a few shops to compare and contrast what they provide vs your needs. As Stu said, some shops provide over the top support and resort like amenities at the track. Others provide the basics with no frills, really depends upon your needs and budget. I've heard from some owners of what they pay and its "Eye Watering". Most importantly, it has to be a shop you trust and a team you enjoy spending the weekend with. The shop I work with doesn't do anything fancy but it works and we have a great time when we're together.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:52 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 92 Posts

You will find the costs, and services, and expertise, will vary quite a bit from shop to shop. Everything from simple transport and very basic car prep but no real contingency for repair while at track, to full blown "we have a spare everything and money is no object" setup.

I encourage you to interview several teams but make sure one of them is Autometrics. I have no ownership in Autometrics but have used them for years and I find they deliver a good value and most importantly they are trustworthy.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:21 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,715 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
..most importantly they are trustworthy.
This should be your starting point. Everything works backwards from here.

Figure out where you plan to race/run and target a shop centrally located as transport is probably your single largest cost unless you stay very local. Then start asking for recommendations. It's a small community and it doesn't take long to separate the good from the not so good. You can start price shopping after that but don't expect a lot of variation once you've factored in all your true costs.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:58 PM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good info, thanks.

Do you have a shop who currently maintains your Cup? I'd start there
The shop that currently maintains the car had a personal relationship with the PO. It's a well regarded shop but they are primarily a professional race team and don't offer customer track support services.

I already have a short list of shops I trust, I just wanted to get some idea of cost to decide if this idea had enough advantages to justify further inquiry. I'm just looking for the same level of support I would give myself if I was DIYing. I guess it will come down to my ability to tailor the support to fit my needs and budget.

The car is going to Autometrics next week to start a refresh and update, it may end up staying there.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:52 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

good choice!
Old 02-22-2017, 03:58 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

My car is Autometrics too.

Stu
Old 02-22-2017, 05:49 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Based on my experience for cups expect to pay $500-1,000/DAY based on what level of support you are looking for.

Also its all in the prep, I rather pay more $$ to my shop for prep before the event and then just kick back and chill at the event...then have prep there for getting the car ready in the morning, before each session and there to trouble shoot any issues to avoid loosing any track time.

No work should be done at the track IMO, it should have all been done before.

You dont want to b in the pits while everyone else is driving...that makes for the worst weekend.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Support Cost?