Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Is the 996 Cup a future classic ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 09:59 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

Love my 6cup.As far as an investment? No way!Cost of maintaining ,rebuilding motors, trans and everything else rules out any way of it being a good investment!Someone asked me if I would sell my car.I said sure for what I have into it 150k! Now I don’t know if thats really the amount,but Im sure its not far off.
That being said I have my cup car for the shear enjoyment of driving it on track.If you look at this way its a bargain! 3 pedals and a shifter is a good time to me!
Old 02-19-2017, 06:00 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

I think you can look at it in many different ways. I bought my '04 6CUP two years ago for 50k. Spent 40k on refreshing it (full engine rebuild, trans build etc.). So I have abt. 90k in it. It is likely that I will not race it much in the future but on the other hand I don't think it's a smart move to sell it now. If I sold it now, I don't think I'd get what I have in it. So better to hold on to it, take it out every now and then for some track fun and see how the market develops. With fresh engine and gearbox, the next 50-100hours or so will be quite cheap. With very little usage, it will be 10-15 years before I need to burn money on the engine or the transmission again.

So, investment...no, but financially it is most likely a better move to keep it rather than to sell it now.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:19 PM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 911racer
Eventually every cup will be a collector item. Some faster than others.

The 996 Cup is going to be the next to see a big rise.

I also believe the 997.2 is going to be strong in the future as well. To me the change from the steel chassis to the aluminum chassis is going to be big in the future. Not as much so, but similar to the 993 to 996 change.

thanks

Ed
I hope the 997 Cup will eventually become a collector's item. I imagine any Cup car with a winning professional race history will fetch a bit more. At least I hope it does for me since I have the 2006 Speed World Challenge Championship winning car. I had no clue when I bought it. Just got lucky I guess. I bought it because it had .2 aero updates, PMNA RSR suspension, BRAND NEW PMNA Gold gearbox, low hour PMNA engine rebuild, fully unlocked MOTEC and tons of other stuff. The winning race history was a bonus.

It's fun to drive too.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:46 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

997 will take a LOOOOONG time before becoming a collector. They have been built in big quantities, and there are a lot for sale.

Quick Reply: Is the 996 Cup a future classic ??