Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

CF dash and ctr console facia

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 10:44 PM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default CF dash and ctr console facia

Getting to work on some loose ends on my car. The dash was modified to mount the shift lights directly above the Motec display and some extra switches were installed on the dash and center console. I want to move the shift light back to the top of the dash and move some of the extra switches to the steering wheel

In order to do this without leaving holes in both panels, I was thinking of replacing the OE plastic panels with CF panels. I figured I could use the original panels as templates and use a CNC router to cut the new panel shape and holes. I haven't checked prices, but I'm pretty sure the CF panels would cost a fraction of what Porsche wants for the plastic.

Good idea? Bad idea? Suggestions?
Old 02-05-2017, 10:10 AM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

i did this wheel plate for 20$. use a blank batwing plate for more switches

fwiw i have no idea why rennlist fotos always show up upside down!
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2017, 03:44 PM
dogger15
Racer

Looks like it worked out fine, in fact that might be another project. The existing bat wings are aluminum and it doesn't look like it would be difficult to switch them to CF as well.

Thanks for the idea.

The dash panel should be a straight forward affair since I'm recreating as is minus the cutout for the shift lights. The switch panel presents a problem because I have to figure out a way to duplicate the labels without making it look like some kind of shade tree effort. I need to do a little research on how to silk screen the switch labels on to the CF. If it gets too difficult, I guess I can always spring for a stock replacement panel.

Name:  IMG_4682%201_zpsd5mplfpq.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  226.1 KB

Name:  IMG_4680%201_zpswpeo9lxv.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  315.0 KB
Old 02-05-2017, 05:50 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

make a template of the label layout then have a decal shop make a clear decal with white lettering . im havin g mine made the entire size of the c/f piece so it will look like the letters were painted on the c/f
Old 02-06-2017, 11:52 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
make a template of the label layout then have a decal shop make a clear decal with white lettering . im havin g mine made the entire size of the c/f piece so it will look like the letters were painted on the c/f
Can't you just decal them on with those "inverse" decals where you basically stick the letters on the surface and then pull away the plastic film?
Old 02-06-2017, 12:35 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Can't you just decal them on with those "inverse" decals where you basically stick the letters on the surface and then pull away the plastic film?
You can but over time they will peel off. Using a full size decal it will last as long as you want
Old 02-06-2017, 04:29 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Must say I really like the 997 Cup dash. Looks so much cleaner than my 996 one, and some things (like the air switch) are much easier to use.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:50 PM
dogger15
Racer

Using a full size decal it will last as long as you want
Sounds like a plan. I can specify a low gloss clear to eliminate any possible glare problems and the covering will help protect the nude CF to boot.

Must say I really like the 997 Cup dash. Looks so much cleaner than my 996 one, and some things (like the air switch) are much easier to use.
Wanting to keep it that way is the main reason for doing this. I can also clean up labeling for retrofits like my cool suit switch by swapping label gun tape for OE looking lettering. The CF panels will give the cockpit a nice updated look that will compliment all the other upgrades I'm doing for my interior refresh.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:48 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Yeah, my 996 looks like someone took a GT3RS street car and modified it with a chainsaw

Quick Reply: CF dash and ctr console facia