997 Cup Differrence Paddle Shift to Auto Bliper at downshift

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 05:06 AM
Dennis Gentner
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 Cup Differrence Paddle Shift to Auto Bliper at downshift

Hello,

what is the differrence between a Paddle Shift System and an auto Bliper at downshift?

With Paddle Shift it is doing up the revs and shift down. Without Clutch
Auto Bliper is doing up the revs (i read max 42% throttle open) but i still have to use the clutch.

Is there anyway to downshift without paddle shift for example with auto bliper but without clutch?

Thanks
Dennis
Old 01-18-2017, 06:47 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hi
auto blipper is a cable / rod that pulls on throttle / pushes gas pedal every time you downshift

you set the "blip" yourself. normally 35-38% blip is good. You do this by having the car off, the motec throttle position screen on, and pushing the shifter in and seeing how much throttle it gives, and then adjust.

however, you still have to shift correctly and use the clutch and so on. I loved my blipper on my 997 cup.

paddle shift all is taken care of electronically. you do nothing except decide when you want gear up or down. not possible to overrev.

downshift without paddle and clutch is possible if you were a top-5 supercup driver during the 997 days and are an expert left-foot braker and right foot blipper.

for normal people, not possible
Old 01-18-2017, 10:33 AM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All above is correct.

I also would add that because the auto blipper is a mechanical system driven off of the shift lever, it is a little slow on the timing side.

It would be nice if the auto blipper would know before you push the stick that you are going to shift. and get the blip going ahead of time. The throttle only reaches its apex at the full stroke of the shift arm.

The paddle shifters do this electronically. When you pull the paddle, the electronics take care of the rest. Very predictable timing / amount of blip / and timing of the shift.

Maybe if someone created an electronic / solenoid driven blipper .... Hummmm.

Thanks

Ed
Old 01-18-2017, 01:24 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by BBMGT3
however, you still have to shift correctly and use the clutch and so on. I loved my blipper on my 997 cup.
And implied in the above statement is that you can screw up a downshift with a blipper the same as you can without via poor technique. Missed shifts and grinding gears are not uncommon if you don't get the timing correct. And as others have stated you can still money-shift with a blipper, which you can't with a properly set up paddle system.

PCA was considering allowing paddle-shift systems on 997 Cups but decided against it. Unfortunate as it would've kept costs down for the club racer.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:58 PM
Dennis Gentner
Track Day

Thanks for everyone for the Help
Old 01-31-2017, 08:02 PM
Dennis Gentner
Track Day

Default --

--

Last edited by Dennis Gentner; 01-31-2017 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Wrong
Old 02-03-2017, 04:45 AM
Skibum1963
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Nizer,
I thought that PCA was going to allow paddle shifters for the 997s. When did that change?
Old 02-03-2017, 05:38 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum1963
Nizer,
I thought that PCA was going to allow paddle shifters for the 997s. When did that change?
I recall hearing the same. Thought it was a done deal, but I don't keep up with PCA.

My box on the Cup was opened up after 42 hours of paddle use and was pristine inside. While paddles won't increase the time/life of a gear(3rd gear which takes a beating being a prime example), it sure keeps all else tidy.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:59 PM
Skibum1963
Racer

I just got this off the PCA website:

From PCA Club Racing Rules Committee
July 15, 2016
GTC: Allow aftermarket paddle shifters in GTC4 and 5. It is believed this will reduce the
frequency of transmission repairs, because if the clutch pedal does not hit the floor before the
new gear is selected every single shift, wear increases sharply.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:06 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum1963
I just got this off the PCA website:

From PCA Club Racing Rules Committee
July 15, 2016
GTC: Allow aftermarket paddle shifters in GTC4 and 5. It is believed this will reduce the
frequency of transmission repairs, because if the clutch pedal does not hit the floor before the
new gear is selected every single shift, wear increases sharply.
Nizer is correct...I just looked it up for the approved 2017 Rules changes:

"After considering all the factors involved, the GTC4 and GTC5 rules will not be changed to allow paddle shifters. The GTC classes are "spec" classes based on the Carrera Cup Germany rules for the factory race car model involved. Allowed changes have primarily been related to the unavailability of parts as these race cars move farther from their active professional racing roots, or to changes to preserve particularly expensive original parts by substituting aftermarket parts which have no competitive advantage and do not change the experience of racing the car. Allowing an aftermarket paddle shifter does change the way the car is operated, which changes the experience of racing it, even if this may not be reflected in lap times. Adding a paddle shifter remains, as always, a modification which moves the car to GTA2 - which normally is in the same run group as GTC4 and GTC5, so the competition on track does not change."

Old 02-03-2017, 07:13 PM
Skibum1963
Racer

Good catch!
Old 02-19-2017, 03:29 PM
Dennis Gentner
Track Day

I just found this video:

Rene Rast is downshifting without Clutch in a 997 Cup.
I see he has Auto Blipper and still blip with his feed.
So why not change the config from the Auto Blip to skip manual blip?
Old 02-20-2017, 12:25 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Gentner
I just found this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz1SE-CzFjs

Rene Rast is downshifting without Clutch in a 997 Cup.
I see he has Auto Blipper and still blip with his feed.
So why not change the config from the Auto Blip to skip manual blip?
1) He does not have auto blip. He is blipping with his right foot
2) His supercup engineers explained to me that this technique tends to have a steep learning curve (2 gearboxes, in their words).
3) He has the talent to do it. And even then, his team opened that box between every weekend and often rebuilt engines too because of overrevs (which were very common with all the top drivers at that level)
4) I once raced with a Danish team that was convinced of what you are saying - that with a blipper you can skip the clutch for the downshift. I refused and they made fun of me. The other driver was happy to oblige. After breaking a clutch and flywheel, they opted to drive the car the way 99.9% of us do; with a clutch on downshifts

I don't know what you're trying to do, but you are going to find a very expensive answer...

Quick Reply: 997 Cup Differrence Paddle Shift to Auto Bliper at downshift