Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

996 cup or 997 cup?

Old 08-23-2016, 07:41 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
? I don't know what weird things you need to do, with a 6cup. Low 158's at Wglen without anything weird. Very aggressive driving yes..weird not really? Could you explain. Thanks Mike
That's a great lap time. At fast tracks like the Glen and Lime Rock, you can probably just drive by the book and keep the car happy and fast. But tracks where you come into really tight 2nd gear turns fast, there are things I have seen professionals do that make it tough for an amateur to match. It was a long time ago so I don't remember exactly. Dino Loles was great at that, I think he learned from Wolf and the other F-L pros, and he beat most of the 997 cups in his 996 cup in the early days of IMSA GT3 cup.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:09 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

If you talking about letting the 'rear hangout', this is probably true. Biggest factor (amongst many other things!) that sets my pro coach apart from me, with regard to lap times, is the way he exits corners and lets the 'rear float' and control it with throttle. This allows him to carry lot more speed into corners and correct oversteer with throttle. Looks like the rear floating and the cars is sideways the whole time!!

I thought that was true of all 911s though.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:03 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

^ Right there. It's the steer-by-throttle that sets the pros apart.

Also these cars react well to engine braking. I've seen pros downshift past corner entry in a 6, use that downshift to finesse the balance, then power much harder and smoother out of the same corner vs. guys who only lean on the brakes.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:58 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ pro's dont have to pay for engine and trans rebuilds too so they use 110% of the car...thats why PMNA suggest 40 hour rebuilds......

That was the biggest gripe from pro's from the 997-991 change was they no longer were able to engine brake at threshold braking with the paddles as it prevents overrevs....overrevs slow the cars down a lot transition and then have yo in the high torque curve range to throttle application
Old 08-24-2016, 02:04 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 141 Posts

996 Cup beat most 997 cups at NJMP this weekend, I think people under estimate how fast 996 Cups are
Old 08-24-2016, 02:28 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Or that drovers matter
Old 08-24-2016, 03:06 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

In fairness to good pro drivers, they are very good at making late, smooth down shifts in to corners which keeps the revs in the power band. They use resulting deceleration to get the car rotated faster. They are obviously off brakes earlier than amateurs. LSDs in these cars allows good mid-corner grip and early full throttle. Really sets the amateurs apart from pros. I lose lot more time through slower corners than faster corners anywhere compared to pros. So it's really not "***** to the walls" driving that makes the bigger difference.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:40 AM
Skypalace
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm no pro but set a fair # of track records in my 6. Yes the car is not fully hooked up at limit, and car is dancing w/ throttle, but it's easier to do w/ inherent oversteer in the 6 than with understeer in the 7. If you're feeling hooked up and planted on entry, mid-corner, and exit, there's more speed left in the car :-)

I was 100% bone stock, stock springs, no games with the diff (never opened it other than the bolthole to drain and replace fluids), and most of my track records were with the stock non-adjustable Sachs shocks (though I did eventually go to 2-way adjustables).

I ran the exact same setup for most tracks, I'd regularly go 4 or 5 events with the only maintenance being brakes (pads, fluid, rotors if needed (went a long time when I started doing cryo treated slotted once cryo was confirmed to be SCCA legal) and oil and gearbox fluids every few events.

The maintenance and operating costs on the 7 are higher - I'm much more diligent in the 7, gearbox needs to be checked for metal every weekend, brakes are much more sensitive to pads and fluid condition, rotors (at least when in classes that require the stock drilled rotors) don't last nearly as long, car more sensitive to setup, etc.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:03 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Once again, thank you for the excellent contributions! The task now is to get my GT3 sold so I can really start hunting properly! 996 still seems like the car for me, only to find a good one now...
Old 08-25-2016, 12:30 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IMO the 997 is harder to drive and therefore more rewarding, even so of the 991 Cup. Faster and more "fun" are different IMO....look at FIA GT3 cars, very fast but takes more skill to drive a 997 cup fast than it does one of those cars.

Like my first coach told me when i first started driving 911's on track..."If you can learn to drive these cars smooth and fast, you can then drive anything else fast"

When i drive mid engine race cars now, I smile at how easy they are to drive approaching the limit. and actually have to focus on slowing down my hands when catching a slide....

I would say go for a 997 Cup its more of a true race car IMO.
The following users liked this post:
tedean (09-28-2020)
Old 08-25-2016, 12:59 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
996 Cup beat most 997 cups at NJMP this weekend, I think people under estimate how fast 996 Cups are
But Steve, I wasn't there on Saturday.... LOL.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:00 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

I think skypalace is spot on. This is my experience with 6 cup although I am not up to speed yet. Looking forward to getting in a 997 someday. Need to get faster in the 6 first. It is the last of old fashioned h pattern box factory built race cars.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:35 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
That's a great lap time. At fast tracks like the Glen and Lime Rock, you can probably just drive by the book and keep the car happy and fast. But tracks where you come into really tight 2nd gear turns fast, there are things I have seen professionals do that make it tough for an amateur to match. It was a long time ago so I don't remember exactly. Dino Loles was great at that, I think he learned from Wolf and the other F-L pros, and he beat most of the 997 cups in his 996 cup in the early days of IMSA GT3 cup.
There was an old article in Excellence when they were running both the 6 and 7 cups. They were at Miller and they were running some crazy negative camber on the 6 cups.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:40 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Skypalace
I'm no pro but set a fair # of track records in my 6. Yes the car is not fully hooked up at limit, and car is dancing w/ throttle, but it's easier to do w/ inherent oversteer in the 6 than with understeer in the 7. If you're feeling hooked up and planted on entry, mid-corner, and exit, there's more speed left in the car :-)
That sounds about right, my 996 cup in '05 was a HUGE jump from my stock 2.7RS which I had raced for years. I liked to drive fully hooked-up all the time back then. Now I am a lot braver/dumber and don't mind hanging the cup out so maybe I would enjoy the 996 more now. Scotto had a 964 cup before his 996 and was fast in that, it was probably good preparation for the 996 as those seemed to be pretty ragged edged to go fast.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:24 AM
991cup
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the gen 2 cup more fun than a 991
Haven't driven my 2005 cup yet ..maybe need to take for a Spin soon ..!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996 cup or 997 cup?